When ( please, please, please fiba gods) We Qualify - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

When ( please, please, please fiba gods) We Qualify

The Bunnet

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think anyone cares enough about whether you have multiple accounts or not to grass you in to the moderators.

You actively try and tell people not to be optimistic about our chances of qualifying as if you are some sort of authority around here yourself. That is poor in my opinion and is the reason I commented. If people want to be positive and dare to dream about reaching the finals at this point then they have every right to do so, just as you have the right to state we’re not good enough to qualify. 

I haven’t stated that we’re not good enough to qualify, that is almost impossible in the current Nations League format. I think that we don’t deserve to qualify, and that we’re unlikley to be able to qualify through the route ahead of us.

I also think we shouldn’t be so desperate to qualify for the sake of qualifying. I’d rather we qualified as one of the best 24 teams in Europe, on an occasion when w have a good team who can go and do themselves justice in the finals. We don’t have that at the moment. I don’t see qualifying undeservedly despite that as something to celebrate. I’d find it pretty vomit-inducing if this crop of players were to qualify ahead of our Euro 2008 team, which beat France home and away.

44 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think anyone cares enough about whether you have multiple accounts or not to grass you in to the moderators.

You actively try and tell people not to be optimistic about our chances of qualifying as if you are some sort of authority around here yourself. That is poor in my opinion and is the reason I commented. If people want to be positive and dare to dream about reaching the finals at this point then they have every right to do so, just as you have the right to state we’re not good enough to qualify. 

It wasn’t the idea of qualifying for the finals that I took issue with. It was somebody who mentioned reaching the knockout stages. That’s a ridiculous thing to be bringing up at this stage.

I think unrealistic expectations and incorrect statements have to be challenged, as they are a big part of the problem we find ourselves in. Fans with expectations which are too high are what lead to the crazy turnover-rate that we currently have for managers. We have to reverse that problem, and part of that involves tempering people’s expectations, so that managers can be given long enough to do the job successfully.

2 hours ago, dohadeer said:

It wasn’t the idea of qualifying for the finals that I took issue with. It was somebody who mentioned reaching the knockout stages. That’s a ridiculous thing to be bringing up at this stage.

I think unrealistic expectations and incorrect statements have to be challenged, as they are a big part of the problem we find ourselves in. Fans with expectations which are too high are what lead to the crazy turnover-rate that we currently have for managers. We have to reverse that problem, and part of that involves tempering people’s expectations, so that managers can be given long enough to do the job successfully.

Well you have no right to “take issue” with anyone’s comments on here unless they break the rules. You can certainly disagree with someone and put your point across which would be far better than telling people to stop discussing things as if you are a moderator.

You tend to steam in and state your opinion as if it’s a fact and talk down to people for having the audacity to suggest that we could get 3/4 points out of 3 games and possibly progress should we qualify. You do this in a very similar way to The Dark Knight which is why people keep asking if you are him. 

If people want to come on here and suggest they think we might actually win Euro 2020 then they are free to do that. They may well be insane but they can do it if they want. 

Anyway, I’m past caring about it. You do what you want on here mate. You make the place a joy to visit, much like TDK whom everyone knows is definitely not you. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Well you have no right to “take issue” with anyone’s comments on here unless they break the rules. You can certainly disagree with someone and put your point across which would be far better than telling people to stop discussing things as if you are a moderator.

You tend to steam in and state your opinion as if it’s a fact and talk down to people for having the audacity to suggest that we could get 3/4 points out of 3 games and possibly progress should we qualify. You do this in a very similar way to The Dark Knight which is why people keep asking if you are him. 

If people want to come on here and suggest they think we might actually win Euro 2020 then they are free to do that. They may well be insane but they can do it if they want. 

Anyway, I’m past caring about it. You do what you want on here mate. You make the place a joy to visit, much like TDK whom everyone knows is definitely not you. 

Is that not what I’m doing? Disagreeing and putting my point across? I don’t see what I’ve done wrong?!

12 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Is that not what I’m doing? Disagreeing and putting my point across? I don’t see what I’ve done wrong?!

You told the OP that his post was ‘utterly shameless’ and basically ridiculed him, and others, for suggesting we could qualify or even get out the group. 

If you can’t see there’s anything wrong with that then I cannae help you mate. 

3 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I haven’t stated that we’re not good enough to qualify, that is almost impossible in the current Nations League format. I think that we don’t deserve to qualify, and that we’re unlikley to be able to qualify through the route ahead of us.

I also think we shouldn’t be so desperate to qualify for the sake of qualifying. I’d rather we qualified as one of the best 24 teams in Europe, on an occasion when w have a good team who can go and do themselves justice in the finals. We don’t have that at the moment. I don’t see qualifying undeservedly despite that as something to celebrate. I’d find it pretty vomit-inducing if this crop of players were to qualify ahead of our Euro 2008 team, which beat France home and away.

Unbelievable, you'd find it vomit inducing if we qualified?  Then fuck off this forum and give us peace.

3 minutes ago, todd said:

Unbelievable, you'd find it vomit inducing if we qualified?  Then fuck off this forum and give us peace.

If this group of players, with the level of performances they displayed in qualifying - four thrashings, against Belgium twice, Russia and Kazakhstan, and two other defeats, against Russia and Israel - were to  receive a place at the finals, when the Euro 2008 team, which beat France home and away didn’t, then yes, that would be (obviously not literally) pretty vomit-inducing. 

These things should be earned, not handed on a plate. I can’t help but think of how unfair it would be on the likes of Kenny Miller, James McFadden, Graham Alexander, Christian Dailly, Darren Fletcher, etc, etc, if this motley crew were to get a chance at a major finals, which they didn’t get.

20 hours ago, todd said:

Well that escalated quickly.  😂  Anyway,  I've booked flights for Oslo , just in case. I've got tickets for the first Euros game through UEFA sale just in case and have plans for Wembley  just in case. I know we're shit but I'm not missing out if by some miracle we get our asses to the Euros.  If that makes me dumb in some peoples eyes who cares. Worst case scenario is I have 3 days holiday in Oslo and a neutral game at the Euros to watch

21 hours ago, dohadeer said:

If this group of players, with the level of performances they displayed in qualifying - four thrashings, against Belgium twice, Russia and Kazakhstan, and two other defeats, against Russia and Israel - were to  receive a place at the finals, when the Euro 2008 team, which beat France home and away didn’t, then yes, that would be (obviously not literally) pretty vomit-inducing. 

These things should be earned, not handed on a plate. I can’t help but think of how unfair it would be on the likes of Kenny Miller, James McFadden, Graham Alexander, Christian Dailly, Darren Fletcher, etc, etc, if this motley crew were to get a chance at a major finals, which they didn’t get.

Aye those players mentioned as part of the squad also failed to go to Italy, Ukraine and Georgia and get any points because they weren't good enough and so they earned fk all aswell essentially.

8 minutes ago, saintydave said:

Strangely enough, I think we have a better chance of getting to the knockout stages, if we qualify, than we do of actually qualifying.  

A win v Czech Republic and possibly a point v Croatia would be enough. 

I'd fancy that more than a win in Oslo or Belgrade 

We wouldn’t actually need to win in 90 minutes in Norway or Serbia if we get through the first match.

In my opinion we are more than capable of going to either of these places and getting a draw. Ukraine and Romania have went to Serbia recently and come away with a draw. Romania also drew in Norway last year, as did Sweden. 

These two teams are not footballing super powers. If they were they wouldn’t need the playoffs to get to a tournament that almost half of all European countries will qualify for.

Whether we could hold our nerve in extra time or penalties is another matter though. 

27 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We wouldn’t actually need to win in 90 minutes in Norway or Serbia if we get through the first match.

In my opinion we are more than capable of going to either of these places and getting a draw. Ukraine and Romania have went to Serbia recently and come away with a draw. Romania also drew in Norway last year, as did Sweden. 

These two teams are not footballing super powers. If they were they wouldn’t need the playoffs to get to a tournament that almost half of all European countries will qualify for.

Whether we could hold our nerve in extra time or penalties is another matter though. 

Was gonna say something similar too, infact, we could possibly win the whole thing without winning a game. Improbable though 

1 hour ago, saintydave said:

Strangely enough, I think we have a better chance of getting to the knockout stages, if we qualify, than we do of actually qualifying.  

A win v Czech Republic and possibly a point v Croatia would be enough. 

I'd fancy that more than a win in Oslo or Belgrade 

Again, not something we should be discussing at this stage, and also a big under-estimation of Croatia and Czech Republic’s abilities. 

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Aye those players mentioned as part of the squad also failed to go to Italy, Ukraine and Georgia and get any points because they weren't good enough and so they earned fk all aswell essentially.

They won 8 games out of 12, in a group containing the World Cup winners, runners-up and quarter finalists. That showed they were more than good enough to reach the finals, but for a historically unlucky draw. (The chances of the World Cup winners, runners-up and a quarter finalist, all being in the same European Championship group, two months later, are absolutely tiny. Like once in 500 years tiny.)

The current team lost 5 of 8 group games, (not including San Marino) and received a place in one of two ‘sympathy’ playoffs, for teams in Nations League C and D. This was achieved due to a lucky draw, which put us in a three-team group with lowly-ranked Albania and Israel, avoiding many potential stronger teams who would have knocked us out along the way.

The massive differences between those two scenarios are clear. I want us to go to a finals when we have earned it and can give a good account of ourselves when we get there. I don’t understand why everyone has jumped on the ‘qualification for qualification’s sake’ bandwagon.

49 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Again, not something we should be discussing at this stage, and also a big under-estimation of Croatia and Czech Republic’s abilities. 

Well go away and don’t discuss it then. 

People can discuss what they like whether you like it or not. If you don’t want to discuss something don’t comment on it. 

Do you really find this concept difficult to grasp?

26 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Well go away and don’t discuss it then. 

People can discuss what they like whether you like it or not. If you don’t want to discuss something don’t comment on it. 

Do you really find this concept difficult to grasp?

As explained previously, I think that it’s important to challenge unrealistic expectations.

You’re contradicting yourself by saying ‘people can discuss what they like’ and then telling me to ‘go away and don’t discuss it’ within the same post.

25 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

As explained previously, I think that it’s important to challenge unrealistic expectations.

You’re contradicting yourself by saying ‘people can discuss what they like’ and then telling me to ‘go away and don’t discuss it’ within the same post.

No I’m not. It was possibly a bad choice of words because you are not discussing anything. You are telling people that they shouldn’t talk about something because you don’t like it.

If you don’t want to discuss something then I suggest you scroll past and let those that want to discuss it do so. 

Or continue to be an annoying stain on this board. The choice is completely up to you. 

28 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

No I’m not. It was possibly a bad choice of words because you are not discussing anything. You are telling people that they shouldn’t talk about something because you don’t like it.

If you don’t want to discuss something then I suggest you scroll past and let those that want to discuss it do so. 

Or continue to be an annoying stain on this board. The choice is completely up to you. 

We’re at a bit of a stalemate then. I don’t like what other people are saying, and you don’t like what I’m saying. 

I guess that’s the way it goes on a message board, it’s not a big deal.

4 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

We’re at a bit of a stalemate then. I don’t like what other people are saying, and you don’t like what I’m saying. 

I guess that’s the way it goes on a message board, it’s not a big deal.

Possibly but the way I see it you are telling people what they can and can’t discuss on a free message board. I am suggesting that you stop being a walloper and join in the discussion. Or don’t. 

Anyway, I’ve had enough of it so feel free to have the last word and let’s move on. 

Just thought I'd look on ELO ratings to see what they reckon.

We are cursed as the team most likely to get through the first round 😄

image.png.1859091ea98d34fc8c4e39afea02f588.png

Home advantage is worth another 100 points in their calculations, which just backs up what we all know to be a mighty task if we get to Oslo or Belgrade.

(The Czechs are on 1736 and Croats are over 1900.)

12 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Home advantage is worth another 100 points in their calculations, which just backs up what we all know to be a mighty task if we get to Oslo or Belgrade.

Only a Scotsman would see that as a curse. 😂

28 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

What are ELO ratings?

Just now, dohadeer said:

What are ELO ratings?

Website is http://www.eloratings.net/

A bit like FIFA rankings, but not a volatile (though FIFA have recently changed to something more like ELO's), plus ELO have backwards calculated to 1872.

It may be of interest to you that if we get beaten by three goals by Israel, we'll be on our worst ever rating :oops:

They kept us on edge last time, but I don't see that.   We're on an upward trajectory now, I hope.