When ( please, please, please fiba gods) We Qualify - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

When ( please, please, please fiba gods) We Qualify

The Bunnet

I have had a wee look around official sites...IF we qualify. we have 3 great games to look forward to. And a win and a draw should see Scotland progress to next stage.. Only realised that top two qualify and 4 best 3rd placed teams also qualify from 6 groups do so. Re tickets. SFA should get 12,000 for Hampden and same for Wembley. Based on English FA site, they have breakdown of their ticket allocation and goes further showing their allocation further down the line. For games at Hampden Dublin etc. FA is selling tickets to their supporters club membership first. As it seems most nations are doing. Not going to be cheap. Unless their are a few £30 tickets..Can see 3 match package costing a couple of hundred quid minimum. If SFA had 12k tickets solely for supporters. Then two thirds of members would be sorted. Though no idea if they take a whack off for debentures/sponsors / association clubs... Well ahead of myself and lets take care of Israel first... 

3 hours ago, WCTA said:

12,000 for Hampden sounds affy generous going by the rules.

Yeah I think each FA will get around 10% of the capacity (it varies per stadium for some reason). Could be more I suppose if public sale tickets are left but I doubt that will be the case for the Hampden games. 

For goodness sake.

I thought that it was bad enough that people were looking beyond the Israel match. Now we’ve got people looking ahead to Scotland appearing in the finals AND even to Scotland progressing to the second round. What an utterly shameless post.

Firstly, have a bit of respect/common sense, and take one match at a time. You’re not Gary Lineker/Ian Wright/Mark Lawrenson etc etc etc. 

Secondly, our team is abysmal at the moment. Coming through the home match with Israel is the limit of our abilities. Where are you getting the idea that we could be in the knockout stages of the finals? Look at our central defence and our attack. They are not of a quality to reach the last 16 of the European Championships. You did see what Belgium, Russia and even Kazakhstan did to us, didn’t you?

Ffs dohadeer...Do you read the post...I know we are mince. But we are our mince. I am lucky to have been to World Cups and Euros following Scotland. I, like thousands more. I have had that kick in the baws feeling far to may times...But the few great times cancel them out.. I am more worried aboutt Israel at home than any game that follows. Simple IF we beat Israel we can or should just go for it against whomever in the final..... My post was trying to show we do not want to miss this party in our own back yard, and not been allowed in. And that IF we qualify, big IF..We may get a few more tickets and guid games,

And why do you think I think, I think I am one of those cretins above. You would hard pushed to name 3 more annoying dick heads.You are watching to much Match of the Day, and not for a while it seems.....And have you looked at Serbia and Norways results. They are at our level... Ps I aint one of your happy clappers, if we are crap I let them know..

8 hours ago, The Bunnet said:

Ffs dohadeer...Do you read the post...I know we are mince. But we are our mince. I am lucky to have been to World Cups and Euros following Scotland. I, like thousands more. I have had that kick in the baws feeling far to may times...But the few great times cancel them out.. I am more worried aboutt Israel at home than any game that follows. Simple IF we beat Israel we can or should just go for it against whomever in the final..... My post was trying to show we do not want to miss this party in our own back yard, and not been allowed in. And that IF we qualify, big IF..We may get a few more tickets and guid games,

And why do you think I think, I think I am one of those cretins above. You would hard pushed to name 3 more annoying dick heads.You are watching to much Match of the Day, and not for a while it seems.....And have you looked at Serbia and Norways results. They are at our level... Ps I aint one of your happy clappers, if we are crap I let them know..

Serbia and Norway are certainly not at our level. Heaven help them if they were!

14 hours ago, dohadeer said:

For goodness sake.

I thought that it was bad enough that people were looking beyond the Israel match. Now we’ve got people looking ahead to Scotland appearing in the finals AND even to Scotland progressing to the second round. What an utterly shameless post.

Firstly, have a bit of respect/common sense, and take one match at a time. You’re not Gary Lineker/Ian Wright/Mark Lawrenson etc etc etc. 

Secondly, our team is abysmal at the moment. Coming through the home match with Israel is the limit of our abilities. Where are you getting the idea that we could be in the knockout stages of the finals? Look at our central defence and our attack. They are not of a quality to reach the last 16 of the European Championships. You did see what Belgium, Russia and even Kazakhstan did to us, didn’t you?

People can discuss what they like on here as long as it doesn’t break the rules. 

If you don’t like it you don’t need to come on here. 

Wee bit sad when a bit of optimism is shown as some daftie who does not have a clue...while I respect Doahdeers opinion. It IS  Norway for F*** sake or Serbia...I know wee struggled against Israel, I was there in Haifa..Tearing my hair out..If I had your outlook I would not have even bothered renewing my membership or buying a ticket or heaven forbid forbid bought flights to both venues.. ( which I have)..And I am a low paid working gadgie......I just feel things will click and we will qualify. And so it seems do 40 odd thousand so far... If it goes tits up I will be as scunnered as every Scotland supporter...And their probably 5 million plus of us... And if I bump into you in Belgrade or Oslo you can buy me a pint when we win ( hopefully ) And I hope its Oslo...the price will ruin it for you...kidding....Ps posted after a rather nice night out..

34 minutes ago, The Bunnet said:

Wee bit sad when a bit of optimism is shown as some daftie who does not have a clue...while I respect Doahdeers opinion. It IS  Norway for F*** sake or Serbia...I know wee struggled against Israel, I was there in Haifa..Tearing my hair out..If I had your outlook I would not have even bothered renewing my membership or buying a ticket or heaven forbid forbid bought flights to both venues.. ( which I have)..And I am a low paid working gadgie......I just feel things will click and we will qualify. And so it seems do 40 odd thousand so far... If it goes tits up I will be as scunnered as every Scotland supporter...And their probably 5 million plus of us... And if I bump into you in Belgrade or Oslo you can buy me a pint when we win ( hopefully ) And I hope its Oslo...the price will ruin it for you...kidding....Ps posted after a rather nice night out..

It’s asking for trouble to look so far ahead, and it’s disrespectful to our opponents and ourselves. Leave it to our ‘friends’ from south of the border, that’s the kind of thing we criticise and dislike them for - being arrogant enough to talk about winning games that they haven’t even qualified for yet.

Our best ever teams haven’t reached the knockout stages of a major finals, and you’re talking about doing it with one of our worst ever teams?! It doesn’t make any sense. We have a competitive/solid midfield, but we don’t have the attackers/creative players to score goals at major-championship level, and we don’t have the defenders to stop teams scoring multiple times against us at major-championship level.

We can’t build fake expectations and optimism on the back of results against Albania, Cyprus, Israel, Kazakhstan and San Marino. (Especially when two/three of those teams gave us a good doing in the away matches.) Those aren’t the level of teams that you have to compete with, to be competitive at a major finals. You need to be competitive at a much higher level than that, which we don’t have any evidence to suggest that we are.

We have to be able to take the saltire-tinted glasses off, and analyse things unbiasedly.

Guest ElChris04

Fair play, Call it what ye want, but it’s nice to see a bit of positivity rather than the usual destined for failure attitude on here. 

Thanks for the replies that can see that I am not for one minute saying we will qualify...It is a huge IF.....Usually we are resigned to our fate of sitting at home watching it on the telly long before March...This time around we have a wee back door in,  and we have to go for it... Are our players not any better than Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland who did well last Euros. I believe they are. But they have had better managers. I am not a blue tinted specs, feathers and badges going on campaigns man. I am a Pars fan and Scotland fan... I have double dose of misery to look forward to every year. In 1998 my pal said to me in Paris, enjoy this while you can, cause it will not happen again for many a long year...He had seen what was coming through, and he was right. And he still goes!

1 hour ago, The Bunnet said:

Thanks for the replies that can see that I am not for one minute saying we will qualify...It is a huge IF.....Usually we are resigned to our fate of sitting at home watching it on the telly long before March...This time around we have a wee back door in,  and we have to go for it... Are our players not any better than Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland who did well last Euros. I believe they are. But they have had better managers. I am not a blue tinted specs, feathers and badges going on campaigns man. I am a Pars fan and Scotland fan... I have double dose of misery to look forward to every year. In 1998 my pal said to me in Paris, enjoy this while you can, cause it will not happen again for many a long year...He had seen what was coming through, and he was right. And he still goes!

Our level of players used to be a lot better than Northern Ireland and Wales, but sadly Wales have overtaken us and we have also dropped towards Northern Ireland’s level of players, in key positions on the pitch. I remember looking at Northern Ireland in the past and thinking ‘That must be grim, trying to compete at international level with non-Old Firm Scottish Premiership players.’ That’s now where our defence is at. And the reality is you can’t compete at international level with that standard of player in your team. As Belgium, Russia and even Kazakhstan, Israel and Cyprus showed us.

Northern Ireland in particular have had very settled playing squads and management, whereas we are always hounding out players and managers, convinced there is some magic solution out there, rather than letting a manager do their job. It’s embarrassing how quickly we’ve rattled through managers in the past 15 years, and even when we had a manager who was succeeding, in Gordon Strachan, there were still enough deluded voices out there, judging him against the standards of Scotland teams from decades ago, that he ended up being hounded out of the job. There was the man who would have taken us to a major finals.

It’s ridiculously easy to qualify for the European Championships now, due to the sheer number of teams who qualify, along with the places they provide to teams who aren’t good enough to qualify on merit. Despite this, we’re still making it hard on ourselves, by rattling through managers at a rate of knots, rather than sticking with one, and giving them the time needed to achieve qualification.

2 hours ago, The Bunnet said:

A quick check just now, and this is from Wikipedia, so please correct any mistakes/omissions I have made:

We have ONE current player with 50 caps. That is Steven Naismith, who sneaks in with 51 caps. He is 33 years old, plays for the bottom club in the Scottish Premiership, and while he played at a high level for most of his career, he is no longer at that level, and ideally would now be nowhere near our squad, if there were better options available.

Northern Ireland and Wales both have at least seven players with 50 caps, which includes players with 80, 90 and even nearly 120 caps.

So, I think that their players have proven themselves at international level, and once again you’re being disrespectful/biased in belittling their playing squads so readily.

You have a bee in your bonnet neebs..I have not belittled or been disrespectful to anyone. I just think we have better players, whether they want to wear the jersey or play for some of our previous managers is a different matter...I go to Scotland games now, hoping to win not expecting to win. Trudged out of far to many grounds in far away countries and Glasgow saying, thats it, I am done,,,Only for a  (more recent examples) McFadden wonder strike, Griffiths free kick (both) or an Skirtel og...To forgive them till next time.. .Lets agree to disagree on my optimism. 

17 hours ago, The Bunnet said:

It's great that the Scottish public are up for this semi final, but unfortunately, our competitive away record over the past few years is utterly abysmal against half decent opposition. We have no first choice right back or centre back pairing and no goalscorer with a decent international record. I cannot see further than a possible win against Israel

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

7 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Apologies if mistaken but does dohadeer come across Chripper aka darknight ish?

He certainly does but we’ve discussed this before. He denies it. 

Whether he is or not is irrelevant as he’s just as bad as him (almost). 

11 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Don’t start those kind of baseless accusations. I’ve had one account/username for about 15 years on here.

I’m not sure I’d agree they are baseless. You posted on here about once a year until The Dark Knight was banned then you’re on here every day spouting your negative dross. 

TDK could easily have had multiple accounts on here for 15 years but even if you aren’t him you suck the fun out of this place as much as he did anyway. Not that that’s against the rules so carry on with your ridiculously long, negative posts. They are just what’s needed around here. 

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure I’d agree they are baseless. You posted on here about once a year until The Dark Knight was banned then you’re on here every day spouting your negative dross. 

TDK could easily have had multiple accounts on here for 15 years but even if you aren’t him you suck the fun out of this place as much as he did anyway. Not that that’s against the rules so carry on with your ridiculously long, negative posts. They are just what’s needed around here. 

I have no idea who The Dark Knight was, or when they were banned, but I can assure you that that’s just coincidence.

Surely any such concerns should be taken to the moderators, rather than filling up the thread with them.

I don’t mean to be negative, just realistic.

5 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I have no idea who The Dark Knight was, or when they were banned, but I can assure you that that’s just coincidence.

Surely any such concerns should be taken to the moderators, rather than filling up the thread with them.

I don’t mean to be negative, just realistic.

I don’t think anyone cares enough about whether you have multiple accounts or not to grass you in to the moderators.

You actively try and tell people not to be optimistic about our chances of qualifying as if you are some sort of authority around here yourself. That is poor in my opinion and is the reason I commented. If people want to be positive and dare to dream about reaching the finals at this point then they have every right to do so, just as you have the right to state we’re not good enough to qualify.