Coronavirus - Page 83 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

If they report that Boris has been put on a ventilator then it really will be a coin toss. 

That anti malarial drug I mentioned a little while back is apparently effective at treating it and has sold out world wide. So if true that could take the sting out of it (after they ramp up production which they no doubt have done already). Maybe Johnson will be getting that...

https://www.bbc.com/news/51980731

Edited by thplinth

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I reckon it's about 50/50, so I'm going for, he will recover. Any bookies taking bets?

Phart cited the stats quoted in the Yorkshire Post that show that virus patients in ICU have an approximate 50:50 survival chance. However, it's reasonable to assume that he will have been put there quicker & will have a much higher level of care from the absolute top doctors than the 'average' ICU patient, so I'd imagine that the odds are tilted to some degree in his favour. All the same, it's not a position I'd want to be in myself.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18362247.coronavirus-scotland-orange-order-plan-glasgow-parade-thank-tory-government/

6th AprilCoronavirus in Scotland: Orange Order plan Glasgow parade to thank Tory government

By Herald Scotland Online

Coronavirus in Scotland: Orange Order plan Glasgow parade to thank Tory government

The head of Scotland’s Orange Lodge has called for a special march through Glasgow honouring the Conservative government’s response to the Coronavirus pandemic to be held later this year.

Jim McHarg, Grand Master of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland, said Boris Johnson’s government had stepped up to provide a “package of support unlike anything we have ever seen before”.

In a statement posted online, Mr McHarg called for a parade in the city in September as a way of thanking frontline NHS workers and politicians for their efforts during the disease outbreak.

READ MORE: Care home staff 'prevented from accessing masks as residents died in outbreak

It came as the Order confirmed the annual July 12 march commemorating the Battle of the Boyne had been cancelled in both Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Mr McFarg said: “As a Union of nations, the Chancellor has ensured that the support measures he has introduced is there to support all parts of the UK. We remain grateful to be part of the United Kingdom and able to access this invaluable help and support.

"At an appropriate time in the future, we hope to have an event/parade in Glasgow for all of Scotland’s loyal orders, where we can all come together and show our support to the UK Government for everything they have done for us during this terrible time.

"It will be a time to thank them, and the many other services, like our NHS workers and the thousands of others who are still working as hard as ever to keep the nation going.”

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

If they report that Boris has been put on a ventilator then it really will be a coin toss. 

That anti malarial drug I mentioned a little while back is apparently effective at treating it and has sold out world wide. So if true that could take the sting out of it (after they ramp up production which they no doubt have done already). Maybe Johnson will be getting that...

this is what happens in the body. The anti-malarial drug needs to be applied at an early enough stage to prevent "the storm".

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The great thing about that is that it's a drug that has been around for decades with a well-known history about side effects and stuff. Folk take it a s a prophylactic regularly, so there should be no less issues about "giving it a go". No clinical trials required. Unlike any new vaccine which will have to go through clinical trials even though they will be fast tracked.

6 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Phart cited the stats quoted in the Yorkshire Post that show that virus patients in ICU have an approximate 50:50 survival chance. However, it's reasonable to assume that he will have been put there quicker & will have a much higher level of care from the absolute top doctors than the 'average' ICU patient, so I'd imagine that the odds are tilted to some degree in his favour. All the same, it's not a position I'd want to be in myself.

He may have the top Doctors but what beats this virus is his immune system. The ventilators are there to give his body the ability to fight it. 

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

There's a large study apparently getting published on 15th April regarding Hydroxychloriquine use in Covid patients. Will hopefully give a more definitive direction for treatment.

Raoult's numbers look very convincing however he seems 'dodgy' and the there have been questions regarding his intention to treat analysis.

Time will tell.

15 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

He may have the top Doctors but what beats this virus is his immune system. The ventilators are there to give his body the ability to fight it. 

If you watch phart's video, you'll see that it could be construed that it's his immune system that ends up doing him in. 

It's a good video and well worth watching. The only minor criticism I would make, is that some folk might think that you might have a better chance surviving if you had a weaker immune system, which clearly isn't the case. It's only a minor criticism as I don't think many folk would be daft enough to think that.

6 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I was fairly cynical about it but, unless Dominic Raab has Oscar winning potential, reckon it must be really serious as Raab looked almost shell shocked at the briefing.   

Not seen the interview, however, some folk shared your views on reports i read about the briefing. Others were saying they thought he looked OK. Might have to check it out.

17 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Several hospitals in Sweden have reportedly stopped administering chloroquine to coronavirus patients following reports the drug was causing adverse side effects.

According to the national paper Expressen, hospitals in the Västra Götaland region are no longer offering the antimalarial medication, with side effects reported to include cramps and the loss of peripheral vision.

https://www.newsweek.com/swedish-hospitals-chloroquine-covid-19-side-effects-1496368

to be fair the side effects seem better than potentially dying.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If you watch phart's video, you'll see that it could be construed that it's his immune system that ends up doing him in. 

It's a good video and well worth watching. The only minor criticism I would make, is that some folk might think that you might have a better chance surviving if you had a weaker immune system, which clearly isn't the case. It's only a minor criticism as I don't think many folk would be daft enough to think that.

I've had guillain-barré syndrome (Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) is a rare neurological disorder in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks part of its peripheral nervous system—the network of nerves located outside of the brain and spinal cord.)

It's a bit mental when your immune system starts attacking thngs it shouldn't. The worst part is having to get a lumbar puncture as part of the diagnosis.

Edited by phart

31 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Based on the figures his age is in his favour , but his sex isnt. 75 % of the 50% who died were male.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

I've had guillain-barré syndrome (Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) is a rare neurological disorder in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks part of its peripheral nervous system—the network of nerves located outside of the brain and spinal cord.)

It's a bit mental when your immune system starts attacking thngs it shouldn't. The worst part is having to get a lumbar puncture as part of the diagnosis.

Oh man, I don't fancy that. 

I think a lot of ilnesses can be associated with the immune system "over reacting". Hayfever would be one example, I suppose.

10 minutes ago, phart said:

Several hospitals in Sweden have reportedly stopped administering chloroquine to coronavirus patients following reports the drug was causing adverse side effects.

According to the national paper Expressen, hospitals in the Västra Götaland region are no longer offering the antimalarial medication, with side effects reported to include cramps and the loss of peripheral vision.

https://www.newsweek.com/swedish-hospitals-chloroquine-covid-19-side-effects-1496368

to be fair the side effects seem better than potentially dying.

Yeah I'd like the option of taking it should I get the virus. Can always stop taking them if they don't agree with me. Side effects will be more severe for some people but if it was being used already as an anti malarial they will be at an acceptable level. Let's hope it does work...

8 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Based on the figures his age is in his favour , but his sex isnt. 75 % of the 50% who died were male.

I dunno, 55 is getting on a bit and I would guess he hasn't exactly been kind to his body over the years.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Oh man, I don't fancy that. 

I think a lot of ilnesses can be associated with the immune system "over reacting". Hayfever would be one example, I suppose.

Since it's fairly rare I got asked if i minded if Students could come to see me and for them to try and diagnose it. I was like no bother, as many as you want. I didn't realise how many fucking students in neurology medicine there were, must have been bussing them in from other places. One of the preliminary tests is the old hammer to the knee trick (you lose your reflex response).

Then for the old lumbar puncture they asked if i minded a student doing it with supervision, so i agreed to that as well, cause got to learn somewhere. Student iodened my back up and started prodding about for ages then went to get her supervisor, who came in and said he would just do it. He then prodded about for ages then fucked off and came back with the consultant who then prodded about for ages and came back with someone else they both had a confab and did it. I was that nervous i never found out what the fuck was the problem and why it was eventually done by what seemed the senior neurologist in the hospital.

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Yeah I'd like the option of taking it should I get the virus. Can always stop taking them if they don't agree with me. Side effects will be more severe for some people but if it was being used already as an anti malarial they will be at an acceptable level. Let's hope it does work...

I'm with you. A fair chunk of the population will have taken chloriquine in the past with little or no side effects. That doesn't mean that they won't get any if they take them again. They might have a different reaction this time, especially if they are already ill. But I think it would be worth ago and, as you say, if you start getting any of the known side effects, stop taking them.

15 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I feel a conspiracy theory coming on...

I realised women were behind it when the first thing the government did was close the pubs.