Coronavirus - Page 394 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Lamia said:

I waas shouting at the TV tonight when they said that England reducing the self isolation period to 5 days was bringing it into line with Scotland because we have a 7 day self isolation but it seems England's 5 days is actually the same as Scotland's 7.¬†ūü§®

 

 

If you start calling the first day Day Zero instead of day 1, it makes it look as if it's a  shorter time period.  i bet that's deliberate to make it seem as if they have shortened the time period when all they've done is changed the naming.

Edited by Alibi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Alibi said:

If you start calling the first day Day Zero instead of day 1, it makes it look as if it's a  shorter time period.  i bet that's deliberate to make it seem as if they have shortened the time period when all they've done is changed the naming.

Think you might be right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, scotlad said:

 

I'm feeling a wee bit politically homeless at the moment. There has to be a happy medium between Alba's moon-howlers and the ineffectual, painfully PC careerists of the SNP.

 

Kinda how i feel tbh. 

I'll vote SNP in the main elections to try and force through independence but i'm not longer a member. Just disagree with too much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lamia said:

Your views are the stereotypical north east "old guard" who live in the bubble with their Salmond tinted specs. Without even asking I can identify people in this group because of their similar characteristics. You think your views are in some way widespread/mainstream but you are part of a very bitter fringe group that in the end of the day are simply agitators who's only contribution is like to be negative and corrosive rather than being any real positive productive force.

I disagree obviously, in my line of work i meet folk from all over scotland, western isles, glasgow, Edinburgh, inverness, fife, dundee,, it really is broad based and you can see the shift away from the snp at the moment, the only thing they have going for them is that there is no alternative so as someone mentioned above, they seem likely not to vote at the next election. I think there are some on here in for a shock going forward 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I disagree obviously, in my line of work i meet folk from all over scotland, western isles, glasgow, Edinburgh, inverness, fife, dundee,, it really is broad based and you can see the shift away from the snp at the moment, the only thing they have going for them is that there is no alternative so as someone mentioned above, they seem likely not to vote at the next election. I think there are some on here in for a shock going forward 

I don't think that folk who work in the oil industry are a representative cross section of the general public. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I disagree obviously, in my line of work i meet folk from all over scotland, western isles, glasgow, Edinburgh, inverness, fife, dundee,, it really is broad based and you can see the shift away from the snp at the moment, the only thing they have going for them is that there is no alternative so as someone mentioned above, they seem likely not to vote at the next election. I think there are some on here in for a shock going forward 

I am was specifically talking about the views you are expressing and how you are doing it. There may be people unhappy with  the SNP. I am personally not delighted but there is this small vocal old guard fringe who do not reflect the vast majority 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

I wonder if AS is starting to have some regrets about starting Alba.  All he's succeeded in doing so far is luring some of the biggest zoomers in the the independence movement out of the shadows.

I'm feeling a wee bit politically homeless at the moment. There has to be a happy medium between Alba's moon-howlers and the ineffectual, painfully PC careerists of the SNP.

I wonder if this will be the final straw for Baw Jaws. Dodgy government contracts, siphoning off billions of pounds of public money and hosting illegal parties is one thing, but you don't fuck with Queenie!

I will be honest, i am disappointed in how alba have shaped up, that chris mcielvy or what ever hes called is a liability, absolute rocket. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think that folk who work in the oil industry are a representative cross section of the general public. 

 

Its all different character's from all different regions, I actually spoke with a lad this morning who is very closely related to a senior snp figure whos full on SNP and wouldn’t have a bad word said about them

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I am was specifically talking about the views you are expressing and how you are doing it. There may be people unhappy with  the SNP. I am personally not delighted but there is this small vocal old guard fringe who do not reflect the vast majority 

I am in my thirties, hardly the ‚Äúold guard‚ÄĚ the snp would Fecked just now if there was any credible opposition

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Its all different character's from all different regions, I actually spoke with a lad this morning who is very closely related to a senior snp figure whos full on SNP and wouldn’t have a bad word said about them

 

My point is that pretty much everybody working in the oil industry, especially the ones offshore, will be in the top 10% of earners in the UK. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I will be honest, i am disappointed in how alba have shaped up, that chris mcielvy or what ever hes called is a liability, absolute rocket. 

Can't you see that it was always going to be this way.  Alba are basically a home for pro-Indy people who have some grievance with the SNP in general or Nicola Sturgeon either on policy or more likely because of some personal history.

Look at the more senior and more vocal people involved.  McEleny has stood for depute leader twice and was last each time.  He's also tried to stand for a raft of other positions and got nowhere - he finally took the hint.  MacAskill was sacked by Sturgeon as soon as he took over as FM and stood down as an MSP in 2016.  I couldn't understand why he stood as an MP in 2019 but it makes sense now.  Hanvey had the whip withdrawn for making anti semitic comments before the election in 2019 and it was only local activists that went against the party and kept working for him that got him elected - I wonder how they feel about him now.  Denise Findlay was kicked off the NEC when some dubious social media history surfaced.  Iain Lawson has been arguing with the SNP hierarchy for the last 30 years.  Then you have the man with the biggest axe of all to grind, Alex Salmond.

Then for general support they've attracted what can only really be described as the lunatic fringe of the Yes movement who spend way too much time on the internet and think that the general public are actually interested in their mad theories.  

Whether or not you agree you think they are justified in their grievances it's not a great basis upon which to form a new party.   They went into the elections without any real coherent policy agenda other than some bollocks about a super-majority without ever explaining what that was and what they'd do with it.

As far as I can see their manifesto - for want of a better word - consists of a ragbag collection of various SNP policies they judge to be unpopular with sections of the SNP support but which have no sense of consistency when looked at in the round.

I mean, can you put what Alba stands for in 280 characters.  You can do that for every other political party.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Covid deaths starting to creep up as a function of cases. However cases starting to fall quite a bit, even though they have started counting LFT as well.

Think more of the deaths might be incidental as well considering how prevalent covid was in the last 28 days.

Considering all the factors at play. No major restrictions, prevalence, high cases etc it's not been anywhere near as brutal as it could have been. The vaccine wall held pretty well.

We really need to start helping out the NHS now, and also businesses affected by the restrictions. Spending real money. Been a long slog for a lot of society, Although no one has had it as hard as folk unable to attend a couple of football games, thoughts and prayers and all that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i wouldn't kid yourself aaid, the snp are every bit as bad, some very shoddy characters have been allowed into the party this past while, some of albas policies are sound, national energy company and a wind fall tax on the the renewables sector. i like macAskill he is far better than 99% of the current snp mps, its a shame the party lost him..The fact of the matter remains, sturgeon has done nothing to better scotland in her time in office and she will hide behind covid as an excuse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

i wouldn't kid yourself aaid, the snp are every bit as bad, some very shoddy characters have been allowed into the party this past while, some of albas policies are sound, national energy company and a wind fall tax on the the renewables sector. i like macAskill he is far better than 99% of the current snp mps, its a shame the party lost him..The fact of the matter remains, sturgeon has done nothing to better scotland in her time in office and she will hide behind covid as an excuse

Kenny MacAskill is an acquaintance of mine, more of a friend of friends to be completely accurate.¬† ¬†I know that a lot of them who are long time friends of his are gobsmacked at what he's done.¬† One of these days I'll defriend him on Facebook¬†ūüėĄ

And how the fuck does a windfall tax on the renewables sector make any sense whatsover right now.  They should be giving them subsidies.   If that's an example of a core policy then they are even more barking than that I thought.

 

Edited by aaid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, phart said:

Covid deaths starting to creep up as a function of cases. However cases starting to fall quite a bit, even though they have started counting LFT as well.

 

That bit works both ways though. They are doing less PCR tests so they are now measuring something different to what they measured before the change in policy. The new system relies on folk registering their own LFT results which we know doesn't always happen. That's the case for positive and negative LFT results. I'm not sure the official case numbers are telling us much at the moment. It will take a wee while to settle into the new way of counting cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That bit works both ways though. They are doing less PCR tests so they are now measuring something different to what they measured before the change in policy. The new system relies on folk registering their own LFT results which we know doesn't always happen. That's the case for positive and negative LFT results. I'm not sure the official case numbers are telling us much at the moment. It will take a wee while to settle into the new way of counting cases.

Yeah it's not the same metric anymore.

I agree, with the case numbers not telling us much atm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I am in my thirties, hardly the ‚Äúold guard‚ÄĚ the snp would Fecked just now if there was any credible opposition

You don’t have to be old in years to be old guard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I disagree obviously, in my line of work i meet folk from all over scotland, western isles, glasgow, Edinburgh, inverness, fife, dundee,, it really is broad based and you can see the shift away from the snp at the moment, the only thing they have going for them is that there is no alternative so as someone mentioned above, they seem likely not to vote at the next election. I think there are some on here in for a shock going forward 

Assume you speak of guys who work 12 hours shifts 7 days per week ?

unlikely to jump on the socialist bandwagon and subsidize the unemployables

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, phart said:Although no one has had it as hard as folk unable to attend a couple of football games, thoughts and prayers and all that.

For no reason. Don’t forget that. The meagre sacrifice made by the Scottish football fan has been for no benefit whatsoever. That is clear. 

These people have been elected and entrusted to make good decisions.And they have made many bad ones recently. 

And it is easy to excuse them all, because in the ultimate analysis nothing matters - least of all football. 

However, we have very little time on this earth. We shouldn’t spend it inside for no reason.

The Scottish government should never have banned footballs crowds. It has been a terribly stupid decision which alas has been of no use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...