Coronavirus - Page 34 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

22 hours ago, phart said:

I have a few Italians pals from uni and their facebooks are raging at the EU now for various reasons basically around about other countries not helping them, it's mostly in Italian so not getting the nuance of it enough to nail anything down. No happy at all though.

What are they expecting other countries to do?

Czech Republic are now saying no one is allowed outside unless they are wearing a mask. If you don't have one you have to make one!Ā cut up a t-shirt, use handkerchiefs fashioned into masks etc... And get this one... between 10am and noon food shops areĀ reserved for people over 60 to go get their groceries and everyone elseĀ is not allowed! Pretty full on stuff... Big fines if you do not comply. They are not fucking about with this.

https://www.expats.cz/

https://news.expats.cz/coronavirus-in-the-czech-republic/breaking-face-coverings-to-be-mandatory-in-all-public-spaces-across-the-czech-republic-as-of-midnight/

https://news.expats.cz/coronavirus-in-the-czech-republic/only-seniors-over-65-will-be-allowed-in-shops-from-1000-1200-during-coronavirus-quarantine-prague/

Edited by thplinth

11 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Czech Republic are now saying no one is allowed outside unless they are wearing a mask. If you don't have one you have to make one!Ā cut up a t-shirt, use handkerchiefs fashioned into masks etc... And get this one... between 10am and noon food shops areĀ reserved for people over 60 to go get their groceries and everyone elseĀ is not allowed! Pretty full on stuff... Big fines if you do not comply. They are not fucking about with this.

https://www.expats.cz/

https://news.expats.cz/coronavirus-in-the-czech-republic/breaking-face-coverings-to-be-mandatory-in-all-public-spaces-across-the-czech-republic-as-of-midnight/

https://news.expats.cz/coronavirus-in-the-czech-republic/only-seniors-over-65-will-be-allowed-in-shops-from-1000-1200-during-coronavirus-quarantine-prague/

Some supermarkets here are setting aside specific times for over 70s only.

Ā 

On 3/13/2020 at 11:00 PM, thplinth said:

Italy seems a bit delayed in posting their numbers for good reason. But...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

2500+ new cases and 250 new deaths in the last day. ooft.

Overall 10,000 new cases and 442 new deaths in the last day.

10,000 new cases took a long time to get to not that long ago. Now it is one day. What will it be like in a month.

So the aboveĀ was just less than 5 days ago... still a few hours to go to the end of today. But it looks like today will end up with 20,000+ new cases and 1,000+ new deaths in one day.

China was never anywhere near this level even at their worst.

Does anyone know the doubling period of this thing.. it looks like 5-7 days. Brutal.

edit: so in 2 weeks we have 80,000 new cases a day?

Edited by thplinth

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Some supermarkets here are setting aside specific times for over 70s only.

Ā 

Aye, my local Lidl has had this policy for a couple of days now.

1 minute ago, Dave78 said:

Aye, my local Lidl has had this policy for a couple of days now.

And no cunt is sticking to it. Every age in Morrisonā€™s this morning at 6am.Ā 
Ā 

Donā€™t for a moment think this was done to look after old folk, it was done for more coin. Why would a 74 year old think shopping at 6am would be a lovely thing to do?

I read that a reason things worse in Italy than China is that in China the population is younger and fitter. Dread to think rate in UK.Ā 

Edited by exile

Re point about Britain being an island, yes you'd think we'd be in a good position to control borders. But maybe it's a mental thing, we think the virus is 'over there'Ā  so 'don't panic!'. But of course it's already here but Govt has had open borders...Ā 

Nation states with the ability to effectively seal their own borders - theyĀ makeĀ it much harder for a pandemic to run riot. Like a patchwork of cells rather than one big cell.

Can you imagine what it would be like by now if the EU or worse World had been one big national cell. Well alas it partially was...Undoubtedly we are super fucked now because we all hesitated due to the EU open border dogma and are now only too late really clamping down.Ā 

Nations are a natural 'fire-breaks' on soĀ many levels.

14 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Nation states with the ability to effectively seal their own borders - theyĀ makeĀ it much harder for a pandemic to run riot. Like a patchwork of cells rather than one big cell.

Can you imagine what it would be like by now if the EU or worse World had been one big national cell. Well alas it partially was...Undoubtedly we are super fucked now because we all hesitated due to the EU open border dogma and are now only too late really clamping down.Ā 

My own gut feel is that a few things will change in the world as a result of this, but 2 of the major changes will be;

1. Freedom of movement will be restricted and borders will be reinstated

2. The west will start to 'question' China

46 minutes ago, exile said:

I read that a reason things worse in Italy than China is that in China the population is younger and fitter. Dread to think rate in UK.Ā 

Italy has the highest percentage in Europ of its population aged 65 and over. Ā Only Japan is higher.Ā 

39 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Aye, if we were 1970's Albania we might be alright Jack.

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

Italy has the highest percentage in Europ of its population aged 65 and over. Ā Only Japan is higher.Ā 

Wow, according to this theĀ top 25 in the world (Ā with the exception of JapanĀ as No.1) are all in Europe.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-largest-aging-population-in-the-world.html

Just now, aaid said:

Old people who live longer, unless you think that's a bad thing.Ā 

You know that's not what I meant. šŸ˜

I see what you mean though but under the current situation that means a higher % of the most vulnerable are in Europe.

I had to visit Hairmyres hospital tonight to say goodbye to my terminally ill mum. (not corona related) It was an eerie experience with the place on lockdown and the doomsday feel wasn't helped by the army trucks we saw in Motherwell on the way home.Ā 

Ive implored my wife to stay home from work and she's finally agreed. Everyone should stay at home if they can for now..... not possible for all I know. Good luck to everybody and try to stay positive šŸ‘

5 minutes ago, slasher said:

I had to visit Hairmyres hospital tonight to say goodbye to my terminally ill mum. (not corona related) It was an eerie experience with the place on lockdown and the doomsday feel wasn't helped by the army trucks we saw in Motherwell on the way home.Ā 

Ive implored my wife to stay home from work and she's finally agreed. Everyone should stay at home if they can for now..... not possible for all I know. Good luck to everybody and try to stay positive šŸ‘

Horrible mate. Bad enough saying goodbye to your mam but in these circumstances?

Condolences.Ā 

Just now, King Of Paisley said:

Horrible mate. Bad enough saying goodbye to your mam but in these circumstances?

Condolences.Ā 

It's worse for my Dad. He's 92 and a worry himself but fiercely proud and independent. Imagine being married for 63 years and not being able to be together at the end. Absolutely fuckin horrific. She told me to get home tonight and look after my family šŸ˜¢