Coronavirus - Page 277 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

24 minutes ago, phart said:

I have no idea if what you're saying is true, what I know is you've presented no evidence that what you're saying is true.

That's pretty much my position, regardless of how many times you repeat it.

Fair enough. There is no point me spoon feeding you the science if you to refuse to look at it and think critically. 

40 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Fair enough. There is no point me spoon feeding you the science if you to refuse to look at it and think critically. 

"I am not going to provide the evidence because I don't have it"

There I have corrected that for you.

Want some more context?

rare side effects of ibuprofen

If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression 

• Meningitis Not Due To An Infection 
  • High Levels Of Potassium In The Blood 
  • A Type Of Blood Disorder Where The Red Blood Cells Burst Called Hemolytic Anemia 
  • A Type Of Blood Disorder With A Decrease In All Types Of Blood Cells Called Pancytopenia 
  • Low Blood Counts Due To Bone Marrow Failure 
  • Anemia 
  • Decreased Blood Platelets 
  • Very Low Levels Of Granulocytes, A Type Of White Blood Cell 
  • Low Levels Of White Blood Cells 
  • Low Levels Of A Type Of White Blood Cell Called Neutrophils 
  • Increased Eosinophils In The Blood 
  • Confusion 
  • Mood Changes 
  • Depression 
  • A Painful Condition That Affects The Nerves In The Legs And Arms Called Peripheral Neuropathy 
  • Double Vision 
  • Blind Spot In The Eye 
  • Blurred Vision 
  • A Change In Vision 
  • Pink Eye 
  • Dry Eye 
  • Toxic Amblyopia, A Loss Of Vision 
  • High Blood Pressure 
  • A Heart Attack 
  • Abnormal Heart Rhythm 
  • Chronic Heart Failure 
  • A Stroke 
  • Inflammation Of The Blood Vessels 
  • A Stuffy And Runny Nose 
  • Vocal Cord Swelling 
  • Bronchospasm 
  • Canker Sores 
  • An Ulcer In The Esophagus 
  • A Stomach Ulcer 
  • An Ulcer From Too Much Stomach Acid 
  • Stomach Or Intestinal Ulcer 
  • A Type Of Stomach Irritation Called Gastritis 
  • Inflammation Of The Liver Called Hepatitis 
  • Damage To The Liver And Inflammation 
  • Acute Inflammation Of The Pancreas 
  • Blood In The Bowel Movement 
  • Bleeding Of The Stomach Or Intestines 
  • Damage To The Kidneys 
  • Renal Tubular Necrosis, A Kidney Disorder 
  • Kidney Failure 
  • Renal Papillary Necrosis 
  • Decreased Kidney Function 
  • Inflammation Of The Bladder 
  • Bloody Urine 
  • Bleeding Not Related To Menstrual Period 
  • Inflammation Of The Skin Due To An Allergy 
  • Inflammation Of The Skin With Blisters 
  • Erythema Multiforme, A Type Of Allergic Skin Reaction 
  • A Skin Disorder With Blistering And Peeling Skin Called Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis 
  • A Skin Disorder With Blistering And Peeling Skin Called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome 
  • Skin Rash With Sloughing 
  • Hives 
  • A Condition With Symptoms That Resemble Lupus 
  • Mental Status Changes 
  • Hallucinations 
  • Nosebleed 
  • Wheezing 
  • Trouble Breathing 
  • Chest Pain 
  • Chest Tightness 
  • Bloody Vomit 
  • Excess Urination 
  • Abnormal Liver Function Tests 
  • A Significant Type Of Allergic Reaction Called Anaphylaxis 
  • A Type Of Allergic Reaction Called Angioedema 
  • A Serum Sickness Reaction 
  • A Rupture In The Wall Of The Stomach Or Intestine 
  • A Yellowing Of The Eyes Or Skin From Buildup Of Bilirubin Called Jaundice 
  • Worsening Of Chronic Heart Failure 
  • IgA Vasculitis

8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Ahh, but you love pseudo science, faux science, junk science, scientific theory as fact, and scientism which you call science.

True, and all i'd need to do for you to recant all that is just believe in the same creation myth as you, and suddenly everything would be OK. What's more scientific than that?

11 hours ago, Lamia said:

"I am not going to provide the evidence because I don't have it"

There I have corrected that for you.

I literally posted a link to the evidence, then explained my logic for reaching the conclusion I have on the basis of that evidence. There is plenty in there for you to shoot at if you want to actually make a counter-argument against the specific points I've made (i've got plenty of points myself!), rather than just making dumb comments all the time. 

The reality is I'm not saying anything controversial at all. And the revealing thing is how violently people are denying that the earth is round, because it doesn't fit their narrative. 

Folk need to get out of their entrenched positions (anti-vax this is a conspiracy vs this is the worst thing to happen ever and we need to sacrifice our entire way of life). The truth is nowhere either of those  extremes. But all this anti-science, fact denial on both sides is extremely worrying. I don't know if people are just terrible at assessing risk (certainly research tells us that Scottish people are particularly bad - on average believing 10x to 100x more people have died than actually have from Covid and believing them to be 20 years younger than they actually are) or deliberately choosing to ignore data and research which contradicts their beliefs. Either way cunts need to listen to each other and get their heads out of their arse. 

3 hours ago, biffer said:

Oh, and Scott criticising other people for pseudo science is just delightful.

3 hours ago, phart said:

True, and all i'd need to do for you to recant all that is just believe in the same creation myth as you, and suddenly everything would be OK. What's more scientific than that?

Applying (real) science to (say) the motionless earth v an imaginary spinning globe would be a good start.

Removing the obstacle of the gravity myth is essential.

9 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Applying (real) science to (say) the motionless earth v an imaginary spinning globe would be a good start.

Removing the obstacle of the gravity myth is essential.

Nice one Scotty why don't you show the folks at home how you'd solve the field equations of general relativity to demonstrate a motionless earth. Or explain why the sun rises in a different place each day. Or why focualts pendulum behaves how it does at different points on the earth.

Edited by phart

7 minutes ago, phart said:

Nice one Scotty why don't you show the folks at home how you'd solve the field equations of general relativity to demonstrate a motionless earth. Or explain why the sun rises in a different place each day. Or why focualts pendulum behaves how it does at different points on the earth.

Off the top of my head...

- 'relativity' doesn't exist

- the sun is in the firmament (which is moving)

- and Foucault's Pendulum gets started by a human giving it a push

Anyway, a record high number of infections here (Ontario) yesterday with ICU admissions up 23% and patients being transported to hospitals hundreds a km away just so they can be accommodated. :(

5 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Off the top of my head...

- 'relativity' doesn't exist

- the sun is in the firmament (which is moving)

- and Foucault's Pendulum gets started by a human giving it a push

Annus Mirabilis in 2021. I can see the muon g-2 being put on the backburner now.

1 hour ago, phart said:

I know this one! I know this one!

It’s cos God.

4 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Folk need to get out of their entrenched positions (anti-vax this is a conspiracy vs this is the worst thing to happen ever and we need to sacrifice our entire way of life). The truth is nowhere either of those  extremes. But all this anti-science, fact denial on both sides is extremely worrying. I don't know if people are just terrible at assessing risk (certainly research tells us that Scottish people are particularly bad - on average believing 10x to 100x more people have died than actually have from Covid and believing them to be 20 years younger than they actually are) or deliberately choosing to ignore data and research which contradicts their beliefs. Either way cunts need to listen to each other and get their heads out of their arse. 

The official number of deaths reported for Scotland is between 7,600 (PHS) and 10,000 (NRS). Are you trying to say that the real number is less than 1000? And maybe as low as 76?

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The official number of deaths reported for Scotland is between 7,600 (PHS) and 10,000 (NRS). Are you trying to say that the real number is less than 1000? And maybe as low as 76?

I've realised that I may have a different interpretation of what you posted. Are you saying that Scottish people believe that somewhere between 76,000 and 1,000,000 people have died from COVID in Scotland. I don't think anybody believes that, never mind the "on average bit" whatever that means.

Where are you getting this stuff from? Please don't point out that twitter post again. It doesn't back up anything you are claiming that it does. What you are saying may well turn out to be true, but you haven't shown us any evidence of it yet.

19 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I've realised that I may have a different interpretation of what you posted. Are you saying that Scottish people believe that somewhere between 76,000 and 1,000,000 people have died from COVID in Scotland. I don't think anybody believes that, never mind the "on average bit" whatever that means.

Where are you getting this stuff from? Please don't point out that twitter post again. It doesn't back up anything you are claiming that it does. What you are saying may well turn out to be true, but you haven't shown us any evidence of it yet.

Yeah you have misinterpreted it. I got it from the Financial Times: Covid kills, but do we overestimate the risk? | Financial Times (ft.com).

The reason I said 10x-100x is because those are the generous side of how you might interpret the results (a rabid anti-vaxxer fact deniers would go for 100x; the rabid TAMB fact-deniers would go with 10x). 

Look choose to believe whatever you want. Donald Trump has given you permission to do that. 

To my original point, I'm assuming you are going to continue to blanket deny the argument I presented, without saying why or presenting your own evidence. But feel free to present any evidence that contradicts my original argument. 

And of course I will be proved to be correct. The data makes it almost impossible for me to be wrong, if there are any serious side-effects at all of the AZ vaccine at all. Given there are rare side-effects to almost every medicine/vaccine the maths is rigged so that i am right almost all of the time. Frightening that I don't think people recognise this!

I've stated why that graph posted doesn't evidence fatalities.

The main reason being it's a graph about 16 week ICU admission versus the undefined concept "serious harm"

It doesn't mention fatalities at all and there is no evidenced formula to calculate fatalities from ICU admissions. It's also hugely simplistic and time-bound as well. Doesn't account for any confounding variables and is generally just an illustrative comparison, it's also part of 3 graphs made for the purpose. The other two at higher rates of exposure "prove the point" the other way.

As the makers of the picture say themselves

It is also important to note that the benefits illustrated are only for ICU admission due to COVID-19. For every 1 person shown as being saved from ICU admission, there are many more who might be being saved from suffering hospitalization and ‘long COVID’. We are also not illustrating the benefit of not spreading the virus to others.

However i'm just one person who needs spoonfed the science so what do I know :D

The rigged maths: 

Last Two weeks Last  two weeks Last 3 months
20-29 deaths 2 9 73
Estimated annualised deaths 52 117 292
Population        9,000,000        9,000,000        9,000,000
Mortality risk 0.0006% 0.0013% 0.0032%
Deaths per 100,000 0.58 1.30 3.24

(source ONS)

Hard for side-effects to sneak below those low mortality rates! Hence why i've set myself up to be correct almost every time. 

Also interestingly more people under 30 have died from the rare blood clots being linked to the AZ vaccine, in the last two weeks than have died from Covid. Difficult to draw too much conclusion from that given very few <30s have been vaccinated and the population will have underlying health conditions - but certainly underlines how hard the challenge is for a vaccination to keep below covid mortality rates in young people.