Coronavirus - Page 27 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The airlines will have a get out of compensation under the EU regulation 261/2004 as this will be classed as "extraordinary circumstances". So it will be up to individual airlines to decide whether they refund or not. For example if you're on Ryanair, forget it. 

That's where insurance comes in and it will depend on the terms and conditions of what insurance you have. 

Some, probably many, folk will lose out. Especially those who don't have insurance.

I’m pretty sure airlines need to offer you the choice of a refund or an alternative flight if they cancel a flight. This is a different thing to compensation. 

You can’t charge for a service and then keep the money if you don’t provide the service. 

If the flight still goes ahead and you choose not to fly then there’s no way you’ll get a refund.

Edited by Texas Pete

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m pretty sure airlines need to offer you the choice of a refund or an alternative flight if they cancel a flight. This is a different thing to compensation. 

You can’t charge for a service and then keep the money if you don’t provide the service. 

If the flight still goes ahead and you choose not to fly then there’s no way you’ll get a refund.

I'm more concerned about the airlines going bust

As with many thousands of small businesses

One of my big concerns is the general acceptance that getting infected by this virus will make you immune in the future. I've heard quite a few folk saying stuff like " I might as well get it now and get it over and done with". It also seems to be the central plank of the herd immunity theory. Whilst it's perfectly logical, from what we know about other viruses, that we should expect to have some immunity after we recover, we have very little knowledge about what level and how long that immunity will last. This is a new virus which we still know very little about. 

We have known about the 4 common coronaviruses which circulate regularly in the human population for a few decades now. Getting infected by these does not give lifelong immunity in the future. They keep going round year after year and we can get infected more than once. Sometimes the viruses have mutated in between.

And different people develop different levels of immunity. We shouldn't assume that once we have had it, that's it over forever. The long term hope is for a vaccine but we still don't have a vaccine for the other coronaviruses that have been around for decades. No doubt much more resource will put it to finding a vaccine for this one. I hope they have success, and the sooner the better.

4 hours ago, macy37 said:

In Tesco this morning. Mate who is a gaffer said usual Sunday morning they have 3 folk waiting for it to open. This morning 141 burst in. Shit paper took 8 minutes to go.

What the fuck is wrong with these people??!!!

Who counted the 141? Weren't there more important things to do?

35 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah, I might be getting mixed up between compensation and refunds. I think you are right.

Could be a few airlines going bust soon which might complicate things.

18 minutes ago, Bino's said:

I'm more concerned about the airlines going bust

As with many thousands of small businesses

That’s very noble of you but I doubt people are going to turn down refunds if their flights are cancelled to help out the airlines. Hopefully the government will step in and help them. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s very noble of you but I doubt people are going to turn down refunds if their flights are cancelled to help out the airlines. Hopefully the government will step in and help them. 

A few folk getting refunds

More no one shopping, travelling engaging with anything for months

The businesses large and small that could tip are surely limitless

No government could bail all that out

3 hours ago, macy37 said:

Their website explains it does it not? 

I dont know I am working off an iphone with a smashed screen just now its driving me mad, I thought I read on here earlier that Rod Stewart was a politician but it was Rory Stewart. Will check tomorrow at work on a PC . It was just in case anyone knew.  

On the subject of self isolation for the elderly , Sky news is saying Scotland appears to be taking a different approach from England 

‘’Jeane Freeman, health secretary in the devolved government, said they would be asked to "reduce social contact" but confirmed: "It's not isolation."

"We don't want people who are elderly to be stuck in their homes alone not contacting anyone, with their families not able to be in touch with them and to help them," she said.

"What were saying to them is, reduce your contact."

Scotland's national clinical director Jason Leitch boiled down the guidance to "no bingo, no pubs... but family visits and neighbours etc".

😂😂 sometimes you just need to spell it out . The oldies will go mad if their bingo is cancelled. 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

On the subject of self isolation for the elderly , Sky news is saying Scotland appears to be taking a different approach from England 

‘’Jeane Freeman, health secretary in the devolved government, said they would be asked to "reduce social contact" but confirmed: "It's not isolation."

"We don't want people who are elderly to be stuck in their homes alone not contacting anyone, with their families not able to be in touch with them and to help them," she said.

"What were saying to them is, reduce your contact."

Scotland's national clinical director Jason Leitch boiled down the guidance to "no bingo, no pubs... but family visits and neighbours etc".

😂😂 sometimes you just need to spell it out . The oldies will go mad if their bingo is cancelled. 

France has closed all shops other than food shops, banks, chemists and tobacconists

13 minutes ago, Bino's said:

France has closed all shops other than food shops, banks, chemists and tobacconists

Tobacconists 🙄 Oh the irony given it is a virus affecting the lungs.
I imagine it would be a million times harder to implement isolation if people didnt have their fags right enough. 

32 minutes ago, Bino's said:

That's 8 percent mortality rate

Also interesting but incomplete figures about how many younger folk are in critical condition in France and Italy as well. A lot of u40/50's end up in critical condition in hospital are they recovering naturally or are resources being allocated for their recovery to be prioritised.

The Chinese figures seem way off compared the European ones. Not got enough information though to make any guesses.

Seen some speculative reports that the vaping disease that was reported in North America late last year may have been this and that the US has been (deliberately/erroneously/take your pick) identifying their early cases as just regular flu. They were not looking... 

Irrespective I have been wondering if being a heavy vaping person will be a factor in lung complications / mortality etc. (edit: still got to be at least 10X less risky than being a heavy smoker but)

Edited by thplinth

8 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Seen some speculative reports that the vaping disease that was reported in North America late last year may have been this and that the US has been (deliberately/erroneously/take your pick) identifying their early cases as just regular flu. They were not looking... 

Irrespective I have been wondering if being a heavy vaping person will be a factor in lung complications / mortality etc. (edit: still got to be at least 10X less risky than being a heavy smoker but)

Nah, first bit

Second, probably

Edited by Bino's

28 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Tobacconists 🙄 Oh the irony given it is a virus affecting the lungs.
I imagine it would be a million times harder to implement isolation if people didnt have their fags right enough. 

Tabacs in France are more like cafes though.

37 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Tabacs in France are more like cafes though.

I didnt realise that. I thought they just sold tobacco, newspapers , lottery tickets etc. Funnily enough its a country I have rarely been in despite it being so close.  Strange that a cafe type place is open if they are trying to isolate. 

Well trip to Oz on Wednesday cancelled by us, re-scheduled to next year at the moment. Been advised by Emirates to call back on Wednesday before noon in case the Aussies ban all flights, then that's a game changer. Back to work earlier than planned. We even had an internal flight, hotel and taxi booked as we were going to Sydney for a few day's. Spent all day and still trying to sort things out. Gutted but our and others health comes first. I blame Brexit. 😁