Coronavirus - Page 232 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

11 minutes ago, Lamia said:

They are making assumptions that the Pfizer one will behave in the same way. I actually don't share your faith in the CMO's. Gregor Smith will always simply follow on. He is a GP so no he doesn't have that experience. He is an incredibly poor communicator and there seems no independent thought there. The CMOs are too close to the politicians and none will rock the boat substantially 

It's not faith in this decision specifically, just got a lot of time for the work they've put in, one of my best friends has worked extensively with Whitty and thinks very highly of him. She rates his competency and she is smarter than me so i sort of defer to that. Although they're now in the political sphere and that seems to make you weight stuff differently.

Let's hope things don't go horribly pear shaped, I have zero faith in the political infrastructure we have at the moment and how the previous years have stripped away at the competency of the NHS via restrictive budgets, privatisation and weird management hierarchies etc.

Looking at a few graphs of data now that's been produced we're going to rocket passed where we were in April. This is looking grim as fuck and Tories just dithering away doing fuck all.

All the folk downplaying this and advising the Tories like the Barrington decleration folk have really used their influence negligently in way that is going to kill a lot of people. "Funny" how there is an overlap of folk who believe in population control conspiracies and also believe this is a hoax when they're engaging in encouraging behaviour that will excesively kill hundreds of thousands perhaps millions worldwide.

Fortunately this time around we do have a light at the end of the tunnel with a vaccine though, just need to lockdown hard, bite the bullet and pay everyone for 4 months , cover everything and get this under control. We can parachute payments to folk without fear of runaway inflation (See Mark Blyth Brown University economist talks about the mechanisms of this) Trident replacement will cost £250 billion over the course of it's lifetime.

Shut schools, remove summer holidays in favour of a break now. Quantatively ease with parachute payments directly to the people. Have a full shut down to break transmission as we vaccinate the nation. Then when we come out people have money businesses have money and kickstart the economy off the basis of that.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

Looking at a few graphs of data now that's been produced we're going to rocket passed where we were in April. This is looking grim as fuck and Tories just dithering away doing fuck all.

All the folk downplaying this and advising the Tories like the Barrington decleration folk have really used their influence negligently in way that is going to kill a lot of people. "Funny" how there is an overlap of folk who believe in population control conspiracies and also believe this is a hoax when they're engaging in encouraging behaviour that will excesively kill hundreds of thousands perhaps millions worldwide.

Fortunately this time around we do have a light at the end of the tunnel with a vaccine though, just need to lockdown hard, bite the bullet and pay everyone for 4 months , cover everything and get this under control. We can parachute payments to folk without fear of runaway inflation (See Mark Blyth Brown University economist talks about the mechanisms of this) Trident replacement will cost £250 billion over the course of it's lifetime.

Shut schools, remove summer holidays in favour of a break now. Quantatively ease with parachute payments directly to the people. Have a full shut down to break transmission as we vaccinate the nation. Then when we come out people have money businesses have money and kickstart the economy off the basis of that.

We need to do something at our borders too!

1 minute ago, Lamia said:

Looks like South Africa might have beaten us to the variant that won't respond to the vaccine 😲

The good thing is now the technology is there they can adapt vaccines (like they do with flu each year) to work with other variants and I think this is just an opinion (of one person) on which variant would be more likely to evade the vaccines and not based on any lab work. I hope.

1 minute ago, phart said:

Yeah of course need to shut them down, sorry that was what i was meaning with a hard lockdown.

Sadly I cannot see it happening. I hate that we are having to rely on this utterly incompetent UK Government 

3 minutes ago, phart said:

The good thing is now the technology is there they can adapt vaccines (like they do with flu each year) to work with other variants and I think this is just an opinion (of one person) on which variant would be more likely to evade the vaccines and not based on any lab work. I hope.

But does that not mean you have to start all over again with the new vaccine!

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I dont know if sturgeon has the power but she should shut the feckin airports too

She just mentioned that people can't enter or leave Scotland unless essential. Don't think she has the power with flights, up to BJ. He won't do that......

Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

20 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

She just mentioned that people can't enter or leave Scotland unless essential. Don't think she has the power with flights, up to BJ. He won't do that......

I thought that was already the case regarding travel.

6 minutes ago, phart said:

There are loads of reasons for this but I have wondered what impact substance misuse has. It must surely impact on compliance of the rules?

6 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Prof John Bell of Oxford University said that it would only take a few weeks to adapt the vaccine if the SA variant didn't respond to the current one

Yeah but what happens to those already vaccinated with the now out of date vaccine - do we end up in a vicious circle?

3 minutes ago, Redz said:

Can't be taken seriously then

The police response in Scotland has been utterly rubbish. Every tine I hear that Chief Constable it is like he wants nothing to do with it. It kind of put paid to those who think this is a ploy to introduce a police state as they simply are not interested.

Edited by Lamia

Just now, Lamia said:

The police response in Scotland has been utterly rubbish. Every tine I hear that Chief Inspector it is like he wants nothing to do with it. It kind of put paid to those who think this is a ploy to introduce a police state as they simply are not interested.

Aye, I was listening to the top guy in D&G as I crossed the border on the way up - Spouting on about an increased visible presence - Like I said, didn't see any police up or back.....