Coronavirus - Page 216 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

11 minutes ago, exile said:

Northern Ireland is a puzzle. For a while (& maybe still, overall) the lowest affected part of UK... but 2nd wave not so good

My guess would be a good chunk of the NI population followed the example ofĀ the RoI (i.e. taking lockdown/distancing measures earlier). That crucial 10 days meant the virus was suppressed better than the UK.

However, come the summer when UK restrictions were relaxed, NI broke with the RoI example and relaxed more. (Pubs were open, while they've been shut in the RoI since March).

Also, by the summer the RoI and Scotland were roughly the same in terms of the prevalence of the virus. I watched both sets of figures closely and started to noticed aĀ divergenceĀ when Scotland opened up the pubs. Ireland today has the lowest rate of infection in the EU. Scotland not so much...

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

My guess would be a good chunk of the NI population followed the example ofĀ the RoI (i.e. taking lockdown/distancing measures earlier). That crucial 10 days meant the virus was suppressed better than the UK.

However, come the summer when UK restrictions were relaxed, NI broke with the RoI example and relaxed more. (Pubs were open, while they've been shut in the RoI since March).

Also, by the summer the RoI and Scotland were roughly the same in terms of the prevalence of the virus. I watched both sets of figures closely and started to noticed aĀ divergenceĀ when Scotland opened up the pubs. Ireland today has the lowest rate of infection in the EU. Scotland not so much...

Aye, I've been following those numbers as well. At the very start Ireland did much better than Scotland,Ā and then during the summer when Scotland went through a relatively good spell, Ireland gradually caught up with us, but just for a wee while. We didn't use that quiet spell wisely when we should have been building up out test, trace and track capacity. After that, instead of following Ireland's example we followed England. I don't blame the SG too much for that though, as it's not really possible to diverge too much from what England is doing when they control most ofĀ the purse strings. That was shown up most obviously during the arguments over the furlough scheme. Which wasn't even a discussion, the SG just had to hang around and wait for Westminster to decide what theyĀ were going to do.

Now hearing people say they don't want or will refuse the vaccine, and that we will all end up with CoronavirusšŸ˜•. Of course it is everybody's choice whether they want the vaccine or not. As far as I am concerned the fact that there is a vaccine out there and possibly light at the end of the tunnel is great news.Ā 

I am afraid there more than likely will be more cases after Xmas and also people will become even more complacent over the coming months.

Ā 

9 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Ā 

48 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, I've been following those numbers as well. At the very start Ireland did much better than Scotland,Ā and then during the summer when Scotland went through a relatively good spell, Ireland gradually caught up with us, but just for a wee while. We didn't use that quiet spell wisely when we should have been building up out test, trace and track capacity. After that, instead of following Ireland's example we followed England. I don't blame the SG too much for that though, as it's not really possible to diverge too much from what England is doing when they control most ofĀ the purse strings. That was shown up most obviously during the arguments over the furlough scheme. Which wasn't even a discussion, the SG just had to hang around and wait for Westminster to decide what theyĀ were going to do.

Can you imagine the backlash if Scotland had kept pubs closed through the summer when England was re-opened ?Ā Ā No one looks to see what Ireland is doing, we are still far too connected to England bothĀ physically and mentally. The sooner we get independence to make our own decisions the better. I am not saying they will always be right but people will gradually move away from this notion that we need to keep in line with England. Ā 

8 minutes ago, prideothenorth said:

Now hearing people say they don't want or will refuse the vaccine, and that we will all end up with CoronavirusšŸ˜•. Of course it is everybody's choice whether they want the vaccine or not. As far as I am concerned the fact that there is a vaccine out there and possibly light at the end of the tunnel is great news.Ā 

I am afraid there more than likely will be more cases after Xmas and also people will become even more complacent over the coming months.

Ā 

I was speaking to my aunt who is in her mid 70ā€™s, my Uncle has had a heart attack and in hospital and she is clearly worried about that and the chance he may get covid.

We were talking about covidĀ generally and I tried to reassure her that hopefully they will get vaccinated soon.Ā 
She then said that she didnt think she would take the vaccine as one of her friends who is a retired nurse says the vaccine will be very risky and it hasnt been tested properly.Ā 
She may be a retired nurse, and she may be right, who knows,Ā but I doubt she has any more knowledge on the subject than anyone on here. My aunt trusts her as she is a friend andĀ worked in the medical profession but I think its pretty irresponsible to be scaremongering like that without clear evidence. I doubt she is the only one.Ā 

33 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I was speaking to my aunt who is in her mid 70ā€™s, my Uncle has had a heart attack and in hospital and she is clearly worried about that and the chance he may get covid.

We were talking about covidĀ generally and I tried to reassure her that hopefully they will get vaccinated soon.Ā 
She then said that she didnt think she would take the vaccine as one of her friends who is a retired nurse says the vaccine will be very risky and it hasnt been tested properly.Ā 
She may be a retired nurse, and she may be right, who knows,Ā but I doubt she has any more knowledge on the subject than anyone on here. My aunt trusts her as she is a friend andĀ worked in the medical profession but I think its pretty irresponsible to be scaremongering like that without clear evidence. I doubt she is the only one.Ā 

Yes I agree people with next to no knowledge of the vaccine should keep there thoughts to themselves if it scares people away from having the vaccine. My mother is 80 and more than happy to have it so I hats fine with me.

As for it being risky, I would hate to think so.

Hoping your uncle gets home soon and remember a lot more safety measures are now in place in hospitals than at the start of the year.

2 hours ago, prideothenorth said:

Ā 

Where are you hearing that about? In Scotland we tend to have a higher uptake of stuff like this than they do down south. London especially seems to have a higher proportion of anti vaccers for some reason.Ā 

We don't need everybody to get the vaccine but the more the better. Trying to explain how vaccines work is not an easy thing to do as it's very complicated science. I think the demand will far outstrip supply for some considerable time yet.

28 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Where are you hearing that about? In Scotland we tend to have a higher uptake of stuff like this than they do down south. London especially seems to have a higher proportion of anti vaccers for some reason.Ā 

We don't need everybody to get the vaccine but the more the better. Trying to explain how vaccines work is not an easy thing to do as it's very complicated science. I think the demand will far outstrip supply for some considerable time yet.

Mostly at workplace and some neighbors, although I think some of it is just silly macho talk and scaremongering. I would guess when the vaccine is ready for there age group a good few will have a change of heart.

2 hours ago, prideothenorth said:

Yes I agree people with next to no knowledge of the vaccine should keep there thoughts to themselves if it scares people away from having the vaccine. My mother is 80 and more than happy to have it so I hats fine with me.

As for it being risky, I would hate to think so.

Hoping your uncle gets home soon and remember a lot more safety measures are now in place in hospitals than at the start of the year.

Thanks šŸ˜ŠĀ 

It's too much time "doing research" on social media.

As opposed to studying 4 years as an undergraduate, doing a masters, spending 3-4 years studying a specific discipline,defending that against 100 years of combined knowledge on that subject. Then working for several years everyday on the subject. You listen to some guy on social media with a patreon account making you feel that you're special and everyone else is a sheep as a psychological defense mechanism for ones own mediocrity.

Here's Benjamin Frankling in 1736

In 1736 I lost one of my sons, a fine boy of four years old, by the smallpox taken in the common way. I long regretted bitterly and still regret that I had not given it to him by inoculation. This I mention for the sake of the parents who omit that operation, on the supposition that they should never forgive themselves if a child died under it; my example showing that the regret may be the same either way, and that, therefore, the safer should be chosen.

Immunology is hundreds of years old. It's older than manned flights, automotion, and like them has had it's disasters and it isn't perfect, focusing on the 0.0001% of cases is a failure in ones own personal development to be an informed decision maker though.

Ā 

Edited by phart

35 minutes ago, prideothenorth said:

Mostly at workplace and some neighbors, although I think some of it is just silly macho talk and scaremongering. I would guess when the vaccine is ready for there age group a good few will have a change of heart.

If I could get it today I would happily pay for it.

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

If he had waited a week or so he might have been one of the first to get the vaccine. One of the ways to get it to older people is to vaccinate them when they go into hospital for something else. Hopefully he will be home and healthy again before they start dishing it out.

Ā 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If he had waited a week or so he might have been one of the first to get the vaccine. One of the ways to get it to older people is to vaccinate them when they go into hospital for something else. Hopefully he will be home and healthy again before they start dishing it out.

Ā 

He will be in a while as he has been waiting for stents to be fitted for a few months.Ā Looks like he will now need open heart surgery.
In a way Covid is the least of his problems as he isĀ dealing with prostate cancer as well and was due to start chemo. But yes, if he can get the vaccine whilst he is in there it removes one potential danger.Ā 

The Sun ( of all papers) blastingĀ the mythsĀ 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/13369141/corners-cut-next-thalidomide-expert-blasts-anti-vax-myths/amp/

Ā 

Ā 

I've updated my map this morning (from here) with worst 100 for week ending 1st Dec (green) overlying my previous 20th Nov (blue).Ā Ā  Overall, the numbers have come down though.

I noticed while plotting that few of the 'top' 20 this time were in the 100 previously, and that those are widely spread (with over half the 20 outwith the level 4 areas, I think).

image.thumb.png.15c5da8c0f404db6a665b2482322ef44.png

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

I've updated my map this morning (from here) with worst 100 for week ending 1st Dec (green) overlying my previous 20th Nov (blue).Ā Ā  Overall, the numbers have come down though.

I noticed while plotting that few of the 'top' 20 this time were in the 100 previously, and that those are widely spread (with over half the 20 outwith the level 4 areas, I think).

image.thumb.png.15c5da8c0f404db6a665b2482322ef44.png

I really like the way you presented this. Although Linlithgow where I am is getting surrounded a bit.