Coronavirus - Page 184 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

22 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

I’m in Greece. :unsure:

We’re okay because we’re not in the office until November anyway but have to say it’s all being really well managed here. I actually feel safer than at home.

For some reason I thought you lived in England 🤔
Thats a bummer , though at least it wont be a hassle for work. If we had been there when this happened we would have just lived with my husbands unpaid leave.

I spent a lot of time researching where to go and felt the hotel I had chosen was very safe. Masks and disposable gloves in the restaurants  till you were at your seat. I am therefore not surprised to hear you say you feel safer . 

I was in a restaurant in my local village a few weeks ago. There was a ‘one in one out’ for the loo. They had an engaged/vacant sign on the main door to the ladies . 
I went in and put the sign on and  as I was washing my hands  2 young girls in their 20’s fell through the door absolutely steamin.
They hadn’t  even noticed the sign 🙄

I have just booked 3 nights in the UK. If St Andrews goes into lockdown next week I will go fookin mental 😡😁

30 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Dont think for one minute i am looking for sympathy, I was well aware and took a calculated risk  due to how I am feeling at the moment.  But I was working purely on infection numbers and I just want to reinforce to people that you just do not know what will happen so be very careful. 

Look at tonight for instance. England has not enforced isolation on travellers from Greece or Portugal and Scotland and Wales have. 

It was a general point and not directed at you - or anyone in particular - which is why I didn’t reply directly to your post. 

It’s a bit of a pointless exercise trying to second guess prevalence rates especially as that’s only one factor that feeds into any decision to put a country onto the quarantine list or not.  Added to that, things are moving so quickly, if you go away for a fortnight, even if you book last minute, there’s every chance the situation might change by the end of your holiday. 

One final point, based on recent performance, it won’t be too long before the UKG sticks Greece on the list for England as well. 

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Personally I won't be near a plane until this is sorted out. 

Agreed, we are due to get Married in May next year and planned to honeymoon straight away, have looked at flights accom etc but not booking a thing until certain. Doubting we will even get the full wedding at this rate

11 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Is he one of them that takes his own tea bags when travelling abroad ? 

No he will fully immerse himself while across there, but he is going on holiday come hell or high water. Just not willing to entertain that Turkey may be put on the Qurantine list.

30 minutes ago, phart said:

No he will fully immerse himself while across there, but he is going on holiday come hell or high water. Just not willing to entertain that Turkey may be put on the Qurantine list.

👍 You struck me is around my age. My parents, although no stranger to foreign travel, still feel obliged to take certain (ridiculous) items from home. Tea bags the main one. Definitely a generation thing. Sliced white pan loaf back in the day one of the more ludicrous items.  

On 5/27/2020 at 12:30 PM, thplinth said:

There was an article posted a while ago called The Hammer And The Dance (or something like that).

A good example of this is the Czechs. They really came down hard on this very early (mandatory masks, lockdowns, border controls, bars and restaurants closed, non essential shops closed... the works). This was the Hammer.

Now if  you look at the graph of their daily cases  they are very much in The Dance phase now.

The UK never really implemented The Hammer, they did too little too late and as a consequence The Dance part is now happening at a much higher level than it ought to be.

Tens of thousands of people have died in the UK who had they been living in another EU country would be alive right now. We cant just blame the virus for that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/czech-republic/

That is why they are wanting to cancel. More than double the new cases compared to when the country was in full lockdown.

So much for all that Hammer and Dance bullshit... it is just never ending this cunting thing.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before? This is a fairly simple article that helps to explain testing "sensitivity" and "specificity".

If you want more detail you can follow some of the links in the article. 

It shows the importance of remembering that the COVID19 test is only one part of the clinical diagnosis of whether somebody has COVID19 or not. It explains the importance of false positives and false negative and how they can distort the data, especially in the situation we are in at present, with low prevalence of cases and relatively high levels of testing. In gives me some hope that we may have less infectious people around than we might think.  

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-many-covid-diagnoses-are-false-positives-

5 hours ago, phart said:

percentage testing positive rising as well atm, over 2% for the first time in ages.

430 was most new infections in 24 hours, 208 last 24 hours.

Vast majority in the 25-65 age range.

Aye, not good.

(from travellingtabby.com)

image.png

Edited by Grim Jim

42 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It is a set back but I'm quite happy that they "appear" to be following usual protocol and not just rushing one out without making sure it is 100% effective.

America on the other hand.....

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It is a set back but I'm quite happy that they "appear" to be following usual protocol and not just rushing one out without making sure it is 100% effective.

America on the other hand.....

It was always unlikely that the first vaccine to go to trials would be the answer. This one hasn't failed yet though, so it might make a comeback? That's slightly less likely because it has been put on hold on grounds of safety rather than effectiveness. 

Hopefully one of the others will progress better.

Personally speaking I'm not too concerned about how the Yanks are operating as we are unlikely to see any of their vaccines over here until it's been tested on millions of US people first. 

52 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Trump is desperate for a vaccine before the election but he's no chance.

I think you are right. I can't see anything in the pipeline that has any chance of being approved for widespread use before November. The FDA have already agreed to fast track coronavirus vaccines but that is as far as they will go. They are never going agree to let him try vaccinating folk with bleach.:lol:

14 minutes ago, kiltedlegs said:

I attended the mask protest beside the Scottish Parliament building last Saturday.  Some interesting speeches about how the virus isn't bad at all. 

Dreaming of getting your favourite massage parlour and/or bondage dungeon open again bonny ?