Coronavirus - Page 183 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

House parties/folk gathering in houses never saw cases go up until the schools went back. We were told for months that school kids weren't an issue, then it was only older kids, then they were going back full time, then it was full time, then it was they needed masks with 30 odd in a class kids in a bubble of over 200 in some year groups.

Not advocating shutting the schools but having spoken to numerous teachers (and other school staff) social distancing is near enough impossible and the guidance/help been sub standard from the SG.

Sadly if you are asking kids to go to school all week and mix with their pals, then you are on to plums if you think they won't see them outside of school.

All this will do will mean folk who are rigid with every single instruction they are given by the SG, will not be able to visit family/friends and the elephant in the room will remain.

You aren't telling me my brother for example is safer in a classroom with 30+ teenagers than he would be sat at opposite ends of my mums kitchen table.

Folk need to use common sense, this blanket approach is nonsense, helps nobody and certainly doesn't help the SG gain support.

The same kids who are meeting up in houses will be meeting up all week in school.

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

House parties/folk gathering in houses never saw cases go up until the schools went back. We were told for months that school kids weren't an issue, then it was only older kids, then they were going back full time, then it was full time, then it was they needed masks with 30 odd in a class kids in a bubble of over 200 in some year groups.

Not advocating shutting the schools but having spoken to numerous teachers (and other school staff) social distancing is near enough impossible and the guidance/help been sub standard from the SG.

Sadly if you are asking kids to go to school all week and mix with their pals, then you are on to plums if you think they won't see them outside of school.

All this will do will mean folk who are rigid with every single instruction they are given by the SG, will not be able to visit family/friends and the elephant in the room will remain.

You aren't telling me my brother for example is safer in a classroom with 30+ teenagers than he would be sat at opposite ends of my mums kitchen table.

Folk need to use common sense, this blanket approach is nonsense, helps nobody and certainly doesn't help the SG gain support.

The same kids who are meeting up in houses will be meeting up all week in school.

Maybe your brother won't be safer but your mum would be, and she is the one out of that group of people who is most likely to be severely ill if she catches it.

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Maybe your brother won't be safer but your mum would be, and she is the one out of that group of people who is most likely to be severely ill if she catches it.

Given that she is babysitting the grandchildren so that my brother and sister can both teach, then I doubt them coming into her house to collect their child will put her at any more risk.

Also, plenty of school teachers my mother's age, she was one until the other summer so I take it them being at risk isn't an issue but my brother (or me sitting at opposite ends of my mums kitchen table is a no go)

Just as well I can meet her in the pub for lunch then.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

53 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Given that she is babysitting the grandchildren so that my brother and sister can both teach, then I doubt them coming into her house to collect their child will put her at any more risk.

Also, plenty of school teachers my mother's age, she was one until the other summer so I take it them being at risk isn't an issue but my brother (or me sitting at opposite ends of my mums kitchen table is a no go)

Sorry, I got the impression you mum was an elderly lady for some reason. Don't know how I got that idea. Apologies.

I don't think these new rules are designed to stop that sort of thing happening. They are designed to try to reduce the number of house parties. There are lots of inconsistencies around the COVID rules, even more so since the schools reopened. They are asking people to give up certain things to give them some leeway with the numbers so that they can allow schools to stay open. I'm not confident it's going to work. It was a risk reopening schools but it was also a risk if they didn't. I'm glad I'm not making the decisions.

27 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Sorry, I got the impression you mum was an elderly lady for some reason. Don't know how I got that idea. Apologies.

I don't think these new rules are designed to stop that sort of thing happening. They are designed to try to reduce the number of house parties. There are lots of inconsistencies around the COVID rules, even more so since the schools reopened. They are asking people to give up certain things to give them some leeway with the numbers so that they can allow schools to stay open. I'm not confident it's going to work. It was a risk reopening schools but it was also a risk if they didn't. I'm glad I'm not making the decisions.

I've no issues with that but I'd like to think you area allowed to use common sense and not be demonised.

As I said, me (or whoever else) popping into see my mum should not be seen as the same as a house with 30 folk in it (which was never allowed)

Even if they said 4 folk per household it would allow folk to visit, keep a safe distance and clamp down on the parties etc.

Already been cases since schools have gone back where there's been house parties blamed but the same kids are mingling all day at school (without masks at this point).

I'm also glad I'm not the one making decisions.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Given that there were around 40000 school children tested in Scotland last week and they found 120 cases, that pretty strongly suggests that schools are not the problem here  

4 minutes ago, phart said:

This is the last 7 days by age group for anyone wondering

https://www.datawrapper.de/_/EWsD3/

All from that https://twitter.com/TravellingTabby

website

Those infection rate suggest to me folk being back at work is more an issue than house parties.

Unless folk over the age of 65 stop getting invited to family events.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Those infection rate suggest to me folk being back at work is more an issue than house parties.

Unless folk over the age of 65 stop getting invited to family events.

It doesn't suggest anything to me, not enough information, the track and trace information will provide a lot more data to actually form an opinion.

I don't know what activities are causing it.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm guessing that this bit might cover your brother's situation?

"It is spreading again, particularly in these three local authority areas, and we believe that, in these areas, it is spreading primarily as a result of household gatherings," she said.

The restrictions affect 633,120 people living in Glasgow, 95,530 in East Renfrewshire and 88,930 in West Dunbartonshire.

People living in those areas should also not visit someone else's home, no matter where it is.

The only exception is for those in extended households, who can continue to meet indoors."

23 hours ago, exile said:

It captures a certain vibe, though, about what's actually happening.

I thought the clip she did about Aberdeen was very funny.  As you say, whether people find it funny or not it captures what is actually going on. And no doubt what NS wishes she could say. 

Just a word of advice for anyone tempted to travel abroad.

I started 2 weeks holiday at the weekend . Recently I have found it both mentally and physically very difficult working from home , now for 6 months, and was tempted to book a holiday for some sun. 

I have monitored the 7 and 14 day cumulative infection numbers for the main European countries for 2 weeks and,  after discounting a few places,  on Tuesday evening  at 6.30 pm I booked a holiday to Greece leaving tomorrow.
Greece’s number was 13.7 and well below the 20 figure that has been used to assess the countries going on the isolation list. 

Two hours later that same night Greece are on ‘ the list ‘ 🙄

I spent the whole of Wednesday morning trying to contact Jet 2 .
I finally got them and after some persuasion they pushed the holiday forward to next year as they were not offering refunds ( TUI were but they really were not required to ). 
They offered to change the holiday to Turkey next week, or some other country , but I was not taking the chance again.
I wouldnt mind isolating on return as I am stuck in here every day anyway , but my husband would need to take unpaid leave . 

I knew the risks we faced if Greece’s number had gone sky high whilst we were away and isolation was introduced, but we were booking last minute , their number  was at 13.7 , and it was only for a week.
On balance I felt confident and genuinely thought that I had been sensible monitoring the infection levels and using the guidelines . The updates have always been on a Thursday with isolation rules starting on a Saturday morning. I thought that by travelling Friday-Friday I would be fine, I wasnt expecting a random Tuesday night  update. 

I just want to reinforce to people the risks involved in travelling abroad. Don’t try and be smart like me, its really  not worth it unless you really don't mind isolating on return. I was lucky and got the holiday changed as I had booked it less than 24 hrs before, the airline company allows amendments to be made free of charge in that timeframe. 
The differences between what is construed as government advice is pretty grey also. Because it was only the Scottish Government that introduced this isolation rule and not the UK government meant that the airlines were refusing to cancel the flights, thereby avoiding the need to offer refunds. 

If you’re planning on going abroad I think the only sensible approach is to assume that you’ll be quarantined on return and make appropriate arrangements for that eventuality. 

If you can’t do that then either don’t leave the country in the first place be prepared and capable to arrange a quick return, which will obviously be costly  

If you don’t have to quarantine on return look at it as a bonus   

No-one can say they haven’t been warned.  

I flew from Heathrow to Edinburgh yesterday, the plane was full, everyone had a mask on, was reasonably handled.

Boarding however was a fucking disaster, self scan at gate worked for about 10% of people, the boarding agents were blaming the masks, which sounded like BS. The plane took off 30 minutes late, mainly due to sheer incompetence.

All other aspects were great, customs, security and shopping was surreal with only a few other passengers.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

If you’re planning on going abroad I think the only sensible approach is to assume that you’ll be quarantined on return and make appropriate arrangements for that eventuality. 

If you can’t do that then either don’t leave the country in the first place be prepared and capable to arrange a quick return, which will obviously be costly  

If you don’t have to quarantine on return look at it as a bonus   

No-one can say they haven’t been warned.  

Dont think for one minute i am looking for sympathy, I was well aware and took a calculated risk  due to how I am feeling at the moment.  But I was working purely on infection numbers and I just want to reinforce to people that you just do not know what will happen so be very careful. 

Look at tonight for instance. England has not enforced isolation on travellers from Greece or Portugal and Scotland and Wales have.