Coronavirus - Page 171 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

38 minutes ago, teecee- said:

So quarantine on arrivals from Spain is to be lifted at the end of the week, the reason it was not removed previously was "high numbers". Hate to tell you Nicola numbers are even higher at present. I can't fathom out your logic on this one.

Which numbers do you mean?

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Which numbers do you mean?

Comparing 10 July( end of quarantine for most countries)  to present, courtesy of Worldometer.

Spain New cases 7 day average was 480 on 10th, now 1269.

Spain currently infected was 75,627 on 10th, now  86,536.

two things worried me about today's briefing

No quarantine for travellers from Spain

Spanish infection numbers are going up, so this seems very counter-intuitive. There has been lots of grumbling from the travel industry and Spain happens to be the most popular travel destination for Scots. Seems a bit suspect to make such a change when the numbers are going in the wrong direction

Moving the way that numbers of infections are reported from 'positive and suspected positive' to purely 'positive'

In previous press briefings we have heard that it was better to be more cautious and include 'suspected positives'. Why the sudden change after months of reporting the numbers in this way?

A lot of emphasis has previously been placed on the fact that our numbers were 'more accurate' because they included people who had died without having had a test or having tested positive. Given that the Scottish government is about to make a massive decision on schools returning, the decision to change the way that numbers are recorded seems a bit dodgy to me.

12 hours ago, tartandon said:

Spanish infection numbers are going up, so this seems very counter-intuitive. There has been lots of grumbling from the travel industry and Spain happens to be the most popular travel destination for Scots. Seems a bit suspect to make such a change when the numbers are going in the wrong direction

Moving the way that numbers of infections are reported from 'positive and suspected positive' to purely 'positive'

In previous press briefings we have heard that it was better to be more cautious and include 'suspected positives'. Why the sudden change after months of reporting the numbers in this way?

A lot of emphasis has previously been placed on the fact that our numbers were 'more accurate' because they included people who had died without having had a test or having tested positive. Given that the Scottish government is about to make a massive decision on schools returning, the decision to change the way that numbers are recorded seems a bit dodgy to me.

Suppose the real answer wouldn't go down well that it no longer really matters a f**k if selfish bastards want to either transit the virus to or from Spain because we cannae or willnae shut our border with England so will be inundated with pox ridden Sassenachs trying to avoid all the dafty pox ridden Sassenachs going Devon and Cornwall and therefore might as well enjoy a jolly overseas as we’ll be locked down by October again with our heroic teachers wanting the schools shut nationwide after some twat in Cumbernauld sneezes and I’ll be doing their job and mine again for at least three months waiting on their feedback whenever they can be arsed that I already know is correct anyway because I’m 40 and not a moron and then will get even more annoyed because their feedback is heavily biased towards emoji symbols rather than properly constructed sentences which would be handier given they’re supposed to be an education provider rather than an older sibling but also because my own punctuation could be done with a refresher;

6 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Suppose the real answer wouldn't go down well that it no longer really matters a f**k if selfish bastards want to either transit the virus to or from Spain because we cannae or willnae shut our border with England so will be inundated with pox ridden Sassenachs trying to avoid all the dafty pox ridden Sassenachs going Devon and Cornwall and therefore might as well enjoy a jolly overseas as we’ll be locked down by October again with our heroic teachers wanting the schools shut nationwide after some twat in Cumbernauld sneezes and I’ll be doing their job and mine again for at least three months waiting on their feedback whenever they can be arsed that I already know is correct anyway because I’m 40 and not a moron and then will get even more annoyed because their feedback is heavily biased towards emoji symbols rather than properly constructed sentences which would be handier given they’re supposed to be an education provider rather than an older sibling but also because my own punctuation could be done with a refresher;

Because I'm very intuitive, I'm guessing that you are not particularly a fan of home learning for your children. I could be wrong.

12 hours ago, tartandon said:

I may have totally misinterpreted it, but are the reporting of the positive and suspected positive cases only changing in relation to the number of people currently in hospital?

What was happening was we were seeing massive fluctuations on a day to day basis of hundreds of people being added in and then removed a day later and the same with people in ICU.

All other aspects of reporting the daily figures will remain as was. I may have missed something though.

Edited to add; If we can turn round tests and get the results in 24Hrs then we're probably better waiting until we have them before declaring the number of people in hospital. It means the figure will be very accurate, even if there is a days lag in reporting.

Edited by Lion Rampant

52 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Because I'm very intuitive, I'm guessing that you are not particularly a fan of home learning for your children. I could be wrong.

I think he is saying that he doesn't like doing it, but he is better at it than your lot? It also sounds like he is working from home so he can't dedicate all day to teaching. Probably only manages to fit in about 3 hours teaching time per day which would still be about an hour more than they get at school.

Just reading between the lines, like.

12 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I may have totally misinterpreted it, but are the reporting of the positive and suspected positive cases only changing in relation to the number of people currently in hospital?

What was happening was we were seeing massive fluctuations on a day to day basis of hundreds of people being added in and then removed a day later and the same with people in ICU.

All other aspects of reporting the daily figures will remain as was. I may have missed something though.

Edited to add; If we can turn round tests and get the results in 24Hrs then we're probably better waiting until we have them before declaring the number of people in hospital. It means the figure will be very accurate, even if there is a days lag in reporting.

Pretty much how the FM explained it.   Essentially anyone over the age of 70 admitted to hospital are routinely tested for COVID every 4 days or so, even if there's no evidence that they are symptomatic.  Probably makes sense to do that as it will help to stop nosocomial infections.   However, at the point when they are tested they go on to the daily stats as "suspected COVID" and are removed when the test comes back as negative.   If you've someone hospitalised with a say - a broken leg - for two weeks, they could theoretically be going on and off the list three or four times.

14 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Aye, that's how I see it. Now that there is much more testing capacity there isn't as much benefit from counting suspected cases. Just sample them and get the test result 24 -48 hours later. The vast majority of suspected cases will now be getting tested. They might miss out some folk who are too ill to get a pipe cleaner stuffed up their nostril but that will be a relatively small number.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

To be honest mate really enjoyed it but we’ve had it easy really as wee lass is only 5 and my mrs was on furlough so she’s done the majority – it’s time we  wouldn’t usually have got.  Some folk in work have three teenagers and neither parent furloughed – no idea how they manage. 

Teaching isn’t a job I’d choose do and those who see it as a vocation have my utmost respect however sometimes feel the profession rips the piss given the strength of the union.  I got a bit pissed off with the school when they came out with the blended learning with Group A doing Mon/Tues and Group B doing Wed/Thurs and deep clean Friday.  If a deep clean is needed it should’ve been pencilled in for the Wednesday and if there isn’t a need for deep clean between groups then it could  wait until the weekend.   

I also get the hump when teachers moan how difficult they’ve got it when, in terms of primary, the most difficult part in terms of controlling a class is no longer an issue and parents at home trying do their own jobs are actually auctioning the teaching.   Understand it must have been frustrating when the u-turn on full time learning came out but the gnashing of teeth at having already moved some desks about and split groups in half was a bit ridiculous looking from the outside in. 

19 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

To be honest mate really enjoyed it but we’ve had it easy really as wee lass is only 5 and my mrs was on furlough so she’s done the majority – it’s time we  wouldn’t usually have got.  Some folk in work have three teenagers and neither parent furloughed – no idea how they manage. 

Teaching isn’t a job I’d choose do and those who see it as a vocation have my utmost respect however sometimes feel the profession rips the piss given the strength of the union.  I got a bit pissed off with the school when they came out with the blended learning with Group A doing Mon/Tues and Group B doing Wed/Thurs and deep clean Friday.  If a deep clean is needed it should’ve been pencilled in for the Wednesday and if there isn’t a need for deep clean between groups then it could  wait until the weekend.   

I also get the hump when teachers moan how difficult they’ve got it when, in terms of primary, the most difficult part in terms of controlling a class is no longer an issue and parents at home trying do their own jobs are actually auctioning the teaching.   Understand it must have been frustrating when the u-turn on full time learning came out but the gnashing of teeth at having already moved some desks about and split groups in half was a bit ridiculous looking from the outside in. 

I know what you mean. I was trying to manage 33 on a Google classroom and home school my 9 and 7 year olds. It had its moments but it was mostly torture 😂. I've landed lucky with my school and the management team. Everybody gets on and we were just ready to be flexible in August, whatever the arrangements. I do see lots of unnecessary moaning in the profession as a whole, if I'm honest. 

1 hour ago, Lion Rampant said:

That makes sense.

I missed the start of the briefing on Tuesday, and was catching up via an online 'live' report which had clearly put a 'slant' on things

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I think he is saying that he doesn't like doing it, but he is better at it than your lot? It also sounds like he is working from home so he can't dedicate all day to teaching. Probably only manages to fit in about 3 hours teaching time per day which would still be about an hour more than they get at school.

Just reading between the lines, like.

To be honest don’t mind doing it and because my wife has one to one with the wee lass she has absolutely beasted it.  My Mrs culture is based on their respect of learning, logic and hard work and the wee lass does 2x2 hours a day no bother at all – absolutely loves Sum Dog and Education City.  We got a message from the teacher with 7 weeks of term left saying there was nothing new they could teach her as she was flying and could only give activities to take her sideways – they did give us some more new stuff but she smashed it in under a week and was stuff her mum had her doing anyway already.  Swear down she’s five and can spell all the days of the week; can count to twenty in four languages; pretty much read basic kids books cover to cover and; her maths is insane – she finished in the top 100 out of 35,000 primary school kids on a National Sum Dog challenge where it gives you 1000 questions over a week based on your level.  

She wouldn’t have got that level of teaching in school but I don’t begrudge the teachers that at all because there’s 30 other kids they need look after.  Quite the reverse, I’m glad of it because the foundations my mrs has laid should help her flourish throughout her education.    

I get pissed off when patronised and treated like head buttons up the back though with the cheeky cleaning day off on Friday rather than between groups; that they’ve been even more busy than normal despite my teacher neighbour spending most of the day out the back on her kindle and another mate breaking the top 300 in Fortnite and; that suggesting they could possibly go back off school holiday early almost sacrilegious whilst I haven’t had a day off since Christmas; my mrs has lost a third-half of her  entitlement but just lucky she's got a job and; am a teaching assistant attempting to keep Rain Man engaged.    

55 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I know what you mean. I was trying to manage 33 on a Google classroom and home school my 9 and 7 year olds. It had its moments but it was mostly torture 😂. I've landed lucky with my school and the management team. Everybody gets on and we were just ready to be flexible in August, whatever the arrangements. I do see lots of unnecessary moaning in the profession as a whole, if I'm honest. 

That sounds almost impossible – I had a Zoom with one of our biggest accounts when we really needed to make a good impression and two members of the team disappeared for a p!ss within the first 30 minutes. 

It’s narcissistic but when folk are talking about jobs and how tough their lot is I always think whether I could do them:

-          Army – yep just don’t fancy getting shot at

-          Surgeon – academically at a push but sausage fingers mean I can barely wire a plug

-          Nurse – nope not a chance. 

-          Teacher – any moron straight out of education with a degree in any old bollocks and zero life experience can be one – it was nearly what I did.

-          A good teacher – nope – I volunteered as one for 6 months and the most important thing it taught me was I was there for me rather than them.  The retired teacher who was there too and tipped their heart n soul into it was a humbling experience.     

I have nothing but the utmost respect for teachers who view it as a vocation and given your offers to help out on here previously it seems obvious that’s how you view it.  It's half arsed teachers I struggle with.    

58 minutes ago, phart said:

Cant deny that there is a lot of "half-arsed" teachers but some them got that way through lack of support from various parties etc as opposed to it being a straight function of their character.

Same with social workers - must be really difficult to keep the ideology when faced with the political.  Not expecting them all to be like Yoda but came across a number who seemed totally unsuited.  

New rules for those shielding, which is good.

Changes to shielding from tomorrow:

From tomorrow if you are shielding you may:

• meet with up to eight people indoors from up to two other households with physical distancing
  • meet outdoors with groups of up to 15 people from a maximum of four other households
  • use public transport with a face covering
  • go to outdoor spaces in pubs and restaurants
  • go to indoor shops, pharmacies and indoor markets
  • attend hairdressers, barbers, museums, galleries and cinemas
  • children who live with someone who is shielding can attend formal childcare providers

54 minutes ago, phart said:

New rules for those shielding, which is good.

Changes to shielding from tomorrow:

From tomorrow if you are shielding you may:

• meet with up to eight people indoors from up to two other households with physical distancing
  • meet outdoors with groups of up to 15 people from a maximum of four other households
  • use public transport with a face covering
  • go to outdoor spaces in pubs and restaurants
  • go to indoor shops, pharmacies and indoor markets
  • attend hairdressers, barbers, museums, galleries and cinemas
  • children who live with someone who is shielding can attend formal childcare providers

Is that a bit of a game changer for you caring for your relative?  

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Is that a bit of a game changer for you caring for your relative?  

I need to know this as well

I was pressured to go back to work today on the 5th August - which is my first working day after the shielding guidance was supposed to end (Next Friday 31st July)