Coronavirus - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 minute ago, beardy said:

The WHO have the death rate as 3.4%.

For comparison the CDC flu figures for 18/19 were 34000 deaths from 35,000,000 infections. That's roughly 0.1%.

Those idiots who keep comparing it to the flu are out by at least a multiple of 34. 

I have been trying to explain this to anyone who says "the flu kills more". Aye, it does solely on numbers but it doesn't per infection case. Italy are currently at 6.6% death rate to positive cases.

My 4th flight to Hong Kong has been cancelled due to the virus, so 4 different airlines, all calling it quits. Flight from Hong Kong to London is still active though.

No idea if Hong Kong has told airlines to stop flying, or if its their own decision, but HK isn't really having a big issue with the virus.

37 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Suggestions in Italy last night that they are moving to wartime medical triage. They don't have the resources to treat everyone so it will be who is most likely to survive that gets first dibs at treatment.

anecodotal evidence saying they've already had to pick and choose. Pictures of front-line staff looking like they've been scrapping for 12 rounds cause of the protective gear having to be so tight on their faces. Swollen bruised faces. Already exhausted and it's not even meant to peak for another 5 weeks.

Ireland is taking it serious and only 1 death.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-51850811

Puts the UK government to shame. 

‘’The first death linked to coronavirus has been recorded in the Republic of Ireland.

The elderly woman died in a Dublin hospital on Wednesday.

Mr Varadkar said schools, colleges and childcare facilities will close from Friday.

He added the public and businesses needed to take a sensible approach, adding that the Irish cabinet would meet later and that Northern Ireland and GB would be briefed.

I know that some of this is coming as a real shock and it is going to involve big changes in the way we live our lives and I know I'm asking people to make enormous sacrifices but we're doing it for each other," Mr Varadkar said.

"Our economy will suffer but it will bounce back. 

"Lost time in school or college will be recovered and in time our lives will go back to normal.

"Ireland is a great nation, we're great people, we've experienced hardship and struggle before, we've overcome many trials in the past."

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Out of cases tested. A lot of folk will have it and no symtoms, therefore death ratio will be a good bit lower than 827 out of 12,462.

Maybe... or it could be the Italy strain (and maybe the Iran strain) is different somehow (and more deadly). Is there not a danger these things can mutate. (I am starting to feel like I am living a bad movie I once saw and can now barely remember.) 

edit: This has more chance of fucking up Boris' re-election chances than Labour by a vast distance.

Edited by thplinth

35 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Maybe... or it could be the Italy strain (and maybe the Iran strain) is different somehow (and more deadly). Is there not a danger these things can mutate. (I am starting to feel like I am living a bad movie I once saw and can now barely remember.) 

edit: This has more chance of fucking up Boris' re-election chances than Labour by a vast distance.

Aye, they can and do mutate. The last thing I read suggests that there are two strains. But that was from a week ago so things might have moved on since then?

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-mutations.html

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, they can and do mutate. The last thing I read suggests that there are two strains. But that was from a week ago so things might have moved on since then?

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-mutations.html

Sorry, I meant to link to the original paper, which is here.

https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/nsr/nwaa036/5775463?searchresult=1

Over in Australia now just had an email from the government of Western Australia that some one on our flight has the virus it goes on to say that there is a very low chance of contracting the virus if you feel any flu like symptoms to contact a doctor so at the minute I feel fine 

49 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Huge queues in all the supermarkets over here in Dublin, since Varadkar's announcement this morning. Full on panic buying of everything, not just bogroll.

Is The Dàil sitting and I take it any attempt at forming a government is on the back burner for now?

At least Leo's taking it serious unlike that absolute clowns in charge of the UK.

2 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Is The Dàil sitting and I take it any attempt at forming a government is on the back burner for now?

At least Leo's taking it serious unlike that absolute clowns in charge of the UK.

Bet they use it as a stick to beat the NHS with too when we get to the other side.  

7 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

FF and FG seem to have agreed on a grand coalition but they still need support from a third party.   

Boris Johnson just said at his coronavirus public address that "Scottish public services were less resilient" - this seemed to be in relation to Nicola Sturgeon seeking a possible ban on public gatherings. No-one from the media pressed him on this. Strange.

13 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Boris Johnson just said at his coronavirus public address that "Scottish public services were less resilient" - this seemed to be in relation to Nicola Sturgeon seeking a possible ban on public gatherings. No-one from the media pressed him on this. Strange.

Not strange. Ridiculous but not any surprise.

The main treatment & research centre for the condition I have have just put a message out advising all sufferers to immediately go into home isolation...up to now they've been talking in terms of managing the risk & trying to take a balanced approach. Today's guidance includes advice not to go on public transport or better still not to travel at all & to avoid coming close than 3m to pretty much anyone. It means I can't see my grandkids for the foreseeable future & am being told not to even touch the bags the shopping gets delivered in.

I'm ending up like some sort obsessed nutter about it all. I think I'm going to end up like some sort of alcoholic Catweazel.

I don’t expect people to feel sorry for folk losing money on the stock market but it is an excellent processor of information at a speed that most other bodies totally lack. Another huge loss on the Dow Jones today. These are huge daily losses. I think it is down a third in about a week.

Edited by thplinth

26 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

The main treatment & research centre for the condition I have have just put a message out advising all sufferers to immediately go into home isolation...up to now they've been talking in terms of managing the risk & trying to take a balanced approach. Today's guidance includes advice not to go on public transport or better still not to travel at all & to avoid coming close than 3m to pretty much anyone. It means I can't see my grandkids for the foreseeable future & am being told not to even touch the bags the shopping gets delivered in.

I'm ending up like some sort obsessed nutter about it all. I think I'm going to end up like some sort of alcoholic Catweazel.

Hope you are coping. But it could be worse, imagine in the old days, no TAMB, no YouTube...

8 hours ago, beardy said:

I'm amazed at the lack of response, especially with what has happened in Italy. The warning signs are there and it all happened in about 3 weeks.

The Italians knew it was coming, they cancelled elective surgery and tried  their best to empty the wards and they still were overrun. 

I just don't get it.

It's the same here in Australia. No aggressive action. 

What I don't get is why our numbers aren't larger especially with how exposed to Asia we are.

Heading in your direction on Wednesday, Gold Coast. Are things ok or do we need to worry?