Coronavirus - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

29 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Anyone else get the feeling this government is more concerned about our economy?

I think they are more concerned about their economy. They will be looking after their own dosh. They couldn't give a fuk about us. 

4 minutes ago, Mox said:

No question, this is capitalism in action, the cost is being counted in pounds rather than bodies.

At least they are counting the bodies this time. In Iraq and other places they couldn't even be bothered doing that.

2 hours ago, phart said:

officially declared a pandemic now, don't really know what that means in this context, seemed to be one before the decleration anyway.

I don't think using the word "pandemic" means very much really. There doesn't seem to any official definition of the term. The advice doesn't change because of it. I think the WHO are using the term to try to encourage governments to do more than they are at present.

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Yeah there is it was quoted in the video I posted early on. Maybe read more and make pithy comments less.

Hmm it does not like the url but here it is...

https://www.who.int/influenza/resources/documents/pandemic_phase_descriptions_and_actions.pdf

When does it become a "pandemic" then? I can't see a definition in there. Honestly, I have looked, I just can't find it. I'm not an expert with google.

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Well I would say we are way beyond phase 6 and way before Post Peak Period. So you work it out for yourself. But to say they did not define a pandemic is bollocks. They did and we surpassed it ages ago.

So, why are they only using the word now? I honestly don't think the word has a specific scientific definition. It's just a fairly vague lots of cases in lots of different places around the globe.

Anyway we're just arguing about nothing really. Calling it a "pandemic" or not doesn't really change much.

3 minutes ago, phart said:

Just a child of Thatcher with that thinking (Macy not you) no such thing as society, economy is all that matters.

What does he think he sounds like making a statement like that?

Mind boggling thickness thinking it is smart.

22 minutes ago, macy37 said:

The fact is weeding out the weak will save the economy a small fortune. In the long run this virus will do the economy the power of good. 

I thought you were in your early fifties. Do you not have parents and elderly relatives right in the risk zone?

8 hours ago, phart said:

officially declared a pandemic now, don't really know what that means in this context, seemed to be one before the decleration anyway.

Sometimes you have to admit that you were wrong, I think that this is one of those times. 

Don’t fret Big Ramy. Bagpiping and whisky are as good a vaccine as any atm . Coming from a Paisley family myself there is no danger of elderly relatives being in danger either as average life expectancy is not something we have approached too often if at all. 
Honestly looking to volunteer for infection but expect I won’t pass the criteria.

10 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Don’t fret Big Ramy. Bagpiping and whisky are as good a vaccine as any atm . Coming from a Paisley family myself there is no danger of elderly relatives being in danger either as average life expectancy is not something we have approached too often if at all. 
Honestly looking to volunteer for infection but expect I won’t pass the criteria.

Cheers pal. I'll stay on the Bagpipes, drive ma wife pure mental. 😉

13 hours ago, phart said:

This was clearly a Pandemic several weeks ago. I feel that the WHO delayed announcing it to allow people to sort out travel and insurance.

I remember reading that declaring a Pandemic invalidates travel insurance. Also I'm sure I read that low level health insurance in the USA is invalidated when a Pandemic is declared.