Coronavirus - Page 120 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

6 hours ago, thplinth said:

Or maybe you read it wrong. I am not commenting about individual care homes. I am talking about the seeming policy that if you are in one and get Covid they will not take you into the hospital if it gets bad. Whereas if phart's gran or my father fell ill with it I am 100% certain an ambulance would be called if need be. So that is why they are not fucking care homes, quite the opposite, get it? Fuck putting a relative in one of these places if this is how they get treated.

I've read what you wrote several times. That's not what you said.

My 81 year old mother has dementia and is exceptionally well looked after as a resident where she is. 

My dad passed away in Aug last year, I'm 500 miles away, moving her isn't an option, what should I do o' great one?

4 minutes ago, Redz said:

I've read what you wrote several times. That's not what you said.

My 81 year old mother has dementia and is exceptionally well looked after as a resident where she is. 

My dad passed away in Aug last year, I'm 500 miles away, moving her isn't an option, what should I do o' great one?

How about you take a fuck to yourself. We've all got serious problems here. I made it clear what I was saying. 

6 hours ago, phart said:

It's mad seeing all this VE day shit as well, when the actual folk who participated in anyway are being left to die in care homes.

Assuming you joined in 1945 latest, 16 years old minimum, you'd be, 91 minimum. Maybe 18, you do the maths.

Edited by Eisegerwind
History!

My father was about 10 when the war ended. He remembers running about as a kid in those war years. One small thing he said that struck me was that even at that age he really noticed that the American uniforms made the British uniforms 'look like rags' in comparison.

All that money that has run through Britain... yet always 'we' are perpetually skint and unprepared. Where does it all go.

34 minutes ago, thplinth said:

How about you take a fuck to yourself. We've all got serious problems here. I made it clear what I was saying. 

No you didn't. 

I referenced your point, which remains your problem, not mine

How about you take a fuck to yourself you sanctimonious fuckin prick 

35 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I said recently government don’t give a flying fuck about death numbers, we are just a figure. I was laughed at and abused.

Good to see some of you cunts are wakening up.

Government perhaps. All care homes? No.

You're top of the cunts on here 

4 minutes ago, Redz said:

No you didn't. 

I referenced your point, which remains your problem, not mine

How about you take a fuck to yourself you sanctimonious fuckin prick 

We all have serious problems as a result of this Redz.

However I am not bringing up all my horrible personal shit that is going on to garner sympathy votes like you.

So fuck off.

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

We all have serious problems as a result of this Redz.

However I am not bringing up all my horrible personal shit that is going on to garner sympathy votes like you.

So fuck off.

Give it a fuckin rest you fuckin cock.

I was providing context, not looking for sympathy 

You lied en mass and I, along with lairdy, corrected you 

Edited by Redz
Spelling

44 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Assuming you joined in 1945 latest, 16 years old minimum, you'd be, 91 minimum. Maybe 18, you do the maths.

Apparently there's around 600,000 people in the UK who are aged 90 years and over which I have to admit is higher than I thought it would be.   Apparently the number of centenarians has been falling over the last few years which funnily enough is a factor of the birth rate falling during WW1 rather than a reduction in life expectancy in that cohort. 

Essenially anyone under under the age of 77-78 wil have no memory of WW2.  

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

Apparently there's around 600,000 people in the UK who are aged 90 years and over which I have to admit is higher than I thought it would be.   Apparently the number of centenarians has been falling over the last few years which funnily enough is a factor of the birth rate falling during WW1 rather than a reduction in life expectancy in that cohort. 

Seriously. I'm amazed at that (600,00).

Edited by Eisegerwind

29 minutes ago, aaid said:

That's why i made the point. Which has already been made in "meme" format before me without it receiving any resistance, i guess it's a mix of who makes the point and Friday being in the top 2 days for most alcohol consumed are colouring the recent posts in this thread. 2

4 minutes ago, phart said:

That's why i made the point. Which has already been made in "meme" format before me without it receiving any resistance, i guess it's a mix of who makes the point and Friday being in the top 2 days for most alcohol consumed are colouring the recent posts in this thread. 2

Mmmmmmm.......

Edited by Eisegerwind

6 minutes ago, phart said:

This coming Monday, it will be exactly one year since I last had an alcoholic drink, so anything I've said can't be down to incapacity.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

This coming Monday, it will be exactly one year since I last had an alcoholic drink, so anything I've said can't be down to incapacity.

Think it's me the he is on about, I last had an alcoholic drink about 3 seconds ago.

Edited by Eisegerwind

6 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

The only concern the government has is how to achieve the above but without taking the blame. All their efforts are being lured into deflecting the blame onto Joe Public and “stupid people” not following the rules.

Government announcements are deliberately vague, contradictory and confusing in order to create the environment where they achieve everything you say and avoid blame for the huge death toll.

We are all expendable, the vulnerable doubly so.

We are basically seeing true Tory ideology in practice.

It’s been obvious that they’ve been handling this as a PR crisis rather than a public health crisis all along.

4 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Think it's me the he is on about, I last had an alcoholic drink about 3 seconds ago.

Lightweight!

In my drunken macabre musings I found this site interesting, as it counts the excess average deaths (scroll down to the map of Europe).

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

Scotland and rUK are a disaster zone, relatively speaking.

Edit: forgot to say, on that website, play with the week slider. :mellow:

Edited by Dave78

6 hours ago, macy37 said:

I said recently government don’t give a flying fuck about death numbers, we are just a figure. I was laughed at and abused.

Good to see some of you cunts are wakening up.

Herd immunity was never abandoned, just media-managed. The NHS has a bit of capacity? Open the schools! Get the poor back to work! That'll get the numbers up again. Some might die? Cost of doing business. The Daily Heil now headlining teachers as being against the teaching unions in England as they 'want to be heroes'. I'm actually tired of telling folk how this all works, but I've deliberately kept quiet about it at home and it's my mrs who is now seeing it and is fucking raging with every passing day of new revelations. I've gotten away so far with muttering a few 'told you so' under my breath. 

4 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Lightweight!

In my drunken macabre musings I found this site interesting, as it counts the excess average deaths (scroll down to the map of Europe).

Cool website, cheers for that. Will spend a bit of time playing on that.

January 2017 looked to be bad across Europe, interestingly corresponds with the article I posted on the last page.

6 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Lightweight!

England is a disaster zone, Scotland is not good, but not as bad as Belgium, Italy, Spain, Netherlands. It’s notable how a lot of small countries that we’d like to compare ourselves to, except for Belgium and the Netherlands, have contained their outbreaks well - Ireland, Denmark, Portugal, Norway, Austria.

2 hours ago, beardy said:

Cool website, cheers for that. Will spend a bit of time playing on that.

January 2017 looked to be bad across Europe, interestingly corresponds with the article I posted on the last page.

That’s what it was set up for, monitoring the spread of influenza epidemics across Europe. 2017’s high level of deaths was due to an ineffective vaccine. The dominant strain that winter wasn’t what had been modelled.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:50 AM, Orraloon said:

Somebody should be made to explain why so many of these folk in care homes are not being taken to hospital. It must be obvious that they are very ill. I know the disease can progress very quickly in some cases but that can't possibly account for them all. If it is down to DNR notices then that needs to be seriously investigated. Possibly by the police? Somebody must be taking the conscious decision not to send these folk to hospital. We need to know who and why. Having a DNR notice in place shouldn't deny these people hospital treatment.

My closest friend works in 2 cares homes and also looks after a girl with learning difficulties.

At the moment she is obviously just working in one of the care homes. I texted her the other night to check how she and her residents were. She said , unprompted, that it was shocking how they were being treated.

I asked her why the elderly residents were not being taken to hospital. She said there was hardly ever a doctor at the home and ill residents were getting diagnosed over the phone, many of them had serious chest infections. Thankfully her care home has had no fatalities but that may more be down to good fortune than good practice , as many of the residents are extremely frail and in very poor health. They were all tested last week and all of them are negative. The staff haven’t been tested yet.   
My friend has no political agenda. She is completely uninterested  in politics. 
I am not sure if telephone diagnosis is standard in normal times , I dont think it can be else she wouldn't have mentioned it. 

21 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Like anything else there are good ones and bad ones. It's clear that as a whole they weren't very well prepared for an epidemic like this. But they are not alone in that. With the official advice up until March being "You are very unlikely to catch the virus in a care home", it wouldn't have helped in reducing the complacency levels of care home owners. Most of these are in the private sector and will be interested in making a profit. Some of them wouldn't need much encouragement to not spend too much on equipment, training and qualified staff. Most folk working in this sector are low paid, low skilled and, if they have had any training in infection control at all, it's mostly at a very basic level.

Good post. Care homes have been literally flung up over the past 10-15 years and have been extremely lucrative for many owners. Some will take an interest and look after the residents, others will see it as a cash cow.  
My husband works in car breakdown and is mainly restricted  to helping key workers at present. He got a call from his ops department  a couple of weeks ago to go to a guy who couldn't get his Lamborghini out his garage.

My husband has to call them first and check they are key workers and have a letter. When asked,  the guy said he was a key worker as he owned care homes. My husband asked the guy if he was driving his Lamborghini to the care home. He wasn’t. My husband then politely suggested he uses one of his 4 other cars. 

I do not know this guy and his care home could be excellent , but from my experience there is a lot of money being made from care homes , a lot of which is not being invested back into them.
My friend juggles 3 jobs and earns a third of what I earn for shuffling money around.
She is the most hard working, unselfish , caring person I know and the care homes are lucky to have her and people like her.

The whole system is fucked. 

3 hours ago, biffer said:

England is a disaster zone, Scotland is not good, but not as bad as Belgium, Italy, Spain, Netherlands. It’s notable how a lot of small countries that we’d like to compare ourselves to, except for Belgium and the Netherlands, have contained their outbreaks well - Ireland, Denmark, Portugal, Norway, Austria.

If you look at it over time, (using the slider) you can see that different countries reached their peaks at different times. In week 12, england is the first of the UK to be hit; by week 15 all of Great Britain is in the worst category (along with Spain, France and Italy); since week 15 it's been subsiding in Scotland and Wales (and most of the rest of Europe) but in England it appears to be still in the worst category.

What I am not sure is how those Z scores relate to the R scroes, where Scotland seems to be a bit higher (for R) than England (though England has stark regional variation).

Edited by exile