Coronavirus - Page 418 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

There is no chance after 3 years of there ever been any lockdowns again, the mess this country is in, individually and collectively , it would bankrupt the UK.

We are paying the price almost three years later , brexit and Ukraine are factors as well of course .

I agree there wont be any more lockdowns so we have to accept if new variants come here from China there will be thousands of deaths

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nobody interested in Coronavirus since October

That is going to change really soon with what is happening in ChinaĀ 

Chinese immune profile completely different than most other places. New Zeland did a great job transferring out of zero covid , Hong Kong and china seem to have done abysmally.

Also interesting to see now that due to prelim data out of China omicron isn't less deadly in a naive population, it was vaccine and previous infection profiles of countries that made it appear that way.

I'm still reading the same sources as I was prviously just not copy pasting them here any more.

11 minutes ago, phart said:

Chinese immune profile completely different than most other places. New Zeland did a great job transferring out of zero covid , Hong Kong and china seem to have done abysmally.

Also interesting to see now that due to prelim data out of China omicron isn't less deadly in a naive population, it was vaccine and previous infection profiles of countries that made it appear that way.

I'm still reading the same sources as I was prviously just not copy pasting them here any more.

China hasn't vaccinated their population very well, especially among older people - which is a factor as to why they've had to take extreme measures to keep Covid under control for as long as they have. However the flip side of that is there's been no heard immunity build up, due to the zero-Covid policy.

_127845827_optimised-china_vax_80plus_ba

The figures above are from the Chinese government, so could be unreliable.

The Chinese vaccines are less effective than theĀ Pfizer and Moderna vaccines used in the west as well.

I think China has significantly fewer ICU beds (per capita) than most of their neighbours too - despite all the construction of Covid-specific facilities over the past few years.

52 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I agree there wont be any more lockdowns so we have to accept if new variants come here from China there will be thousands of deaths

At worst, I can see another round of boosters needing to be given out here if a new variant gets here - especially among the most vulnerable.

10 minutes ago, phart said:

Thousands are dying atm cause of the NHS creaking at the edges. That's the real problem if we suddenly get an upswell in covid again.

I think a major factor with the increase in demand for urgent care is a lot of non-urgent care got cancelled during peak Covid, which allowed for a lot of conditions to develop into urgent ones.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think a major factor with the increase in demand for urgent care is a lot of non-urgent care got cancelled during peak Covid, which allowed for a lot of conditions to develop into urgent ones.

Is one of the factors certainly, there are others, the study finds these are the core factors.

Delays arising from: -NHS staff illness (covid, mental health issues after recent pressures etc)

-inability to discharge patients into care

-cardio issues arising from viral complications & missed preventative medicine.

Edited by phart

Pro, People coming from flights originating in China will need a test.Ā 

Con, If they are positive, they donā€™t need to isolate.Ā 

The UK is the biggest shambles on earth. We need to be colonised for our own good.Ā 

On 12/31/2022 at 11:34 AM, phart said:

Ā 

I assume that tweet was deleted

I was sure it was a bit dodgy but i am no expert

What i do know is that the more people that are infected the more the virus will mutate and variants will arise

Also variants that arise here will be different to those that arise in China

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I assume that tweet was deleted

I was sure it was a bit dodgy but i am no expert

What i do know is that the more people that are infected the more the virus will mutate and variants will arise

Also variants that arise here will be different to those that arise in China

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Nah think this board isn't displaying them.

21 hours ago, phart said:

Covid isn't as big an issue to loss of life as the very current and ongoing collapse of the NHS, like literally happening right now across the UK.

I wonder if the solution to this will suddenly be privatisation.

I think that's the plan. Run it down, say it's no longer fit for purpose, soften up voters for an American style insurance based system.

25 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I think that's the plan. Run it down, say it's no longer fit for purpose, soften up voters for an American style insurance based system.

I see the Tories are claiming there is no crisis despite the folk on the front lines saying there. The medical actuaries showing a large increase in excess deaths over a sustained period of time.

Ā 

24 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Any idea what percentage of peopleĀ  hospitalised due to Covid have either not been vaccinated or have not been fully vaccinated? I haven't seen any stats and am just curious.

The total amount? Cause the percentages change as the populations of vaccinated/unvaccinated/infected changes.

Edited by phart