Coronavirus - Page 399 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

43 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Couldn't agree more.

Im surprised that Corbyn and his large group of supporters havent either started their own party or aligned themselves with an existing party.

My view on Corbyn is that I agree with the vast majority of his policies however as a leader I didnt think he was very strong. I think alot of ppl struggled to buy into his "radical" polices. That often happens when times are good, ie talk of nationalising energy seems like madness when most household energy prices were low. I think the landscape has shifted dramatically since then and alot of people would buy into his way of thinking.

Best case scenario would be a proper labour in England that has him as a major part but a younger more energetic and electable leader with the same political views. I think that would need to happen outwidth current labour.

Im not an expert on politics at all but I always thought Labour got alot of their money from unions and party membership. Surely a new party with the favour of the unions could gain some speed very quickly?

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im surprised that Corbyn and his large group of supporters havent either started their own party or aligned themselves with an existing party.

My view on Corbyn is that I agree with the vast majority of his policies however as a leader I didnt think he was very strong. I think alot of ppl struggled to buy into his "radical" polices. That often happens when times are good, ie talk of nationalising energy seems like madness when most household energy prices were low. I think the landscape has shifted dramatically since then and alot of people would buy into his way of thinking.

Best case scenario would be a proper labour in England that has him as a major part but a younger more energetic and electable leader with the same political views. I think that would need to happen outwidth current labour.

Im not an expert on politics at all but I always thought Labour got alot of their money from unions and party membership. Surely a new party with the favour of the unions could gain some speed very quickly?

The Tory Party would definitely love that. Splitting the opposition's vote.

16 hours ago, exile said:

If he survives, there will still be a political stink lingering and following him everywhere. It may do more damage to the Tories in the long term.Ā The government may limp on like John Major who got mired in sleaze. He was kicked out together with all Scottish Tory MPs and they didn't get back into power for 13 years.Ā 

Also if he lingers, the Scots Tories will be in an awkward position, having called for him to go before the Gray report let him off the hook. They will face the Scottish electorate a divided party.

Despite the fact that I do not know one person who hasnā€™t condemned him for partygate , if the people in England that Ā I speak to on a regular basis are anything to go by then scarily enough there are a number of people who will be prepared to let it go if there is any chink of exoneration in this report. If he gets enough support down there it wont really matter what happens up here.Ā 

You are right though it will linger , a slow lingering death no doubt as his time will eventually come, he is just not cut out for this level of government . I cannot believe people will overlook his numerous failings because ā€˜he got Brexit doneā€™ or ā€˜got the vaccine doneā€™.Ā Ā Have they seen the state of Brexit and do people really think the vaccine programme would not have happened without Boris Johnston ?Ā 

The Scottish Conservatives really will have a big decision to make if he stays as a large proportion of them have displayed their discontent. I have no doubt whatsoever they will simply roll over as they are stuck between the devil and the deep blue Conservative and Unionist party , and they just cannot be seen to do anything that may jeopardise Ā the union.
You would think their flip flopping would piss off conservative voters up here but I wouldnā€™t hold my breath.Ā 

2 hours ago, Och Aye said:

The Tory Party would definitely love that. Splitting the opposition's vote.

Im not sure it would split the vote to be honest. I think a proper left leaning party would be a real vote winner at the moment. Especially if it could be run with an element of substance and honour.

Imo such a party could quickly overtake the labour party as its basically become tory light.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Despite the fact that I do not know one person who hasnā€™t condemned him for partygate , if the people in England that Ā I speak to on a regular basis are anything to go by then scarily enough there are a number of people who will be prepared to let it go if there is any chink of exoneration in this report. If he gets enough support down there it wont really matter what happens up here.Ā 

You are right though it will linger , a slow lingering death no doubt as his time will eventually come, he is just not cut out for this level of government . I cannot believe people will overlook his numerous failings because ā€˜he got Brexit doneā€™ or ā€˜got the vaccine doneā€™.Ā Ā Have they seen the state of Brexit and do people really think the vaccine programme would not have happened without Boris Johnston ?Ā 

The Scottish Conservatives really will have a big decision to make if he stays as a large proportion of them have displayed their discontent. I have no doubt whatsoever they will simply roll over as they are stuck between the devil and the deep blue Conservative and Unionist party , and they just cannot be seen to do anything that may jeopardise Ā the union.
You would think their flip flopping would piss off conservative voters up here but I wouldnā€™t hold my breath.Ā 

I can only talk for my own experience but over the last few weeks Iā€™ve noticed a lot of people, who I would normally never have political conversations with being it up and theyā€™re never complimentary about him. Ā  Ā Iā€™ve only heard a few people defend him and theyā€™re rapid right wingers.Ā 

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

I can only talk for my own experience but over the last few weeks Iā€™ve noticed a lot of people, who I would normally never have political conversations with being it up and theyā€™re never complimentary about him. Ā  Ā Iā€™ve only heard a few people defend him and theyā€™re rapid right wingers.Ā 

IMO, Garrincha was the best of all time.Ā šŸ˜‰

Edited by Orraloon

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im not sure it would split the vote to be honest. I think a proper left leaning party would be a real vote winner at the moment. Especially if it could be run with an element of substance and honour.

Imo such a party could quickly overtake the labour party as its basically become tory light.

The lurch away from the left got the last labour government into power.Hopefully it won't be Scotland s problem soon mateĀ 

5 hours ago, Och Aye said:

The incredible thing AGAIN is how the public ask no questions of the media when the powers want rid of someone. Simple questions like who has been sitting on all this damning information of last years wrong doings before releasing it to the press or more than likely instructing the press when to release it, as they've obviously had the stories from the day it happened. I mean how the f#*k can you have so many piss ups in one of the most media covered buildings in the world without the press knowing. If memory serves me right there was no restrictions on reporters during lockdown.

Totally agree with this. We are being manipulated. This isnā€™t about the rights and wrongs itā€™s about wielding power.Ā 

3 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

The lurch away from the left got the last labour government into power.Hopefully it won't be Scotland s problem soon mateĀ 

I agree but politics change and there is real scope for a strong left leaning party. Im not talking full out left but one that endorses many of the policies Corbyn talks about.

People tend to vote by looking at their own lives in my experience. At the moment most people can see that the status quo isnt working for them. That will increase in the next year and Labour just isnt a viable alternative in its current format.

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I agree but politics change and there is real scope for a strong left leaning party. Im not talking full out left but one that endorses many of the policies Corbyn talks about.

People tend to vote by looking at their own lives in my experience. At the moment most people can see that the status quo isnt working for them. That will increase in the next year and Labour just isnt a viable alternative in its current format.

Not in England and particularly under FPTP.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

I dont know anyone who is complimentary about him either but another leadership contest so soon after the last is not something Tory voters want as it suggests a government in disarray . I think the Tory MPs will think the same and if it does come to a vote of no confidence i think he will win it. For now.
I see the 1922 committee have decided to keep the time required between no confidence votes at 12 months instead of changing it to 6 months . Funny that. Ā 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont know anyone who is complimentary about him either but another leadership contest so soon after the last is not something Tory voters want as it suggests a government in disarray . I think the Tory MPs will think the same and if it does come to a vote of no confidence i think he will win it. For now.
I see the 1922 committee have decided to keep the time required between no confidence votes at 12 months instead of changing it to 6 months . Funny that. Ā 

Iā€™m not disagreeing with you but bear in mind I live in a very safe Tory constituency and the disquiet is palpable. Ā So god only knows what itā€™ll be like in more marginal places.

I saw an interview with Gavin Barwell, who was Theresa Mayā€™s chief of staff and he was talking about the political realities of a vote of confidence. Ā  If the vote was 50+1 then heā€™d be toast, straight away, gone that night. Ā If it was 80% in favour then the rebels would have to get in line and heā€™d be bulletproof. Ā However, if it was something like 2/3rds in favour, a 1/3rd against them while heā€™d technically have won, heā€™d basically be on borrowed time because with that level of opposition, those whoā€™d voted against him wouldnā€™t feel obliged to fall in behind and the opposition would continue to grow and the period he was suggesting was months, not years.Ā 

Alex Salmond is trending on twitter

It is incredible the amount of Unionist bots/trolls/77th Brigade/Pretend Rangers accounts that are his champions in comparing the actions of the Met and the Scottish legal system

Ā 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Alex Salmond is trending on twitter

It is incredible the amount of Unionist bots/trolls/77th Brigade/Pretend Rangers accounts that are his champions in comparing the actions of the Met and the Scottish legal system

Ā 

And Alba supporters....but for some reason don't seem to see who their bedfellows are!

35 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

2 years since Covid appeared šŸ˜³ seems surreal to say that

We've managed to avoid catching covid until nowšŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø.Ā 

Definitely surreal.Ā 

Same and nobody in my family thankfully since my folks are getting on and have some co morbidities.Ā 

Hopefully things are headed in the right direction.Ā 

15 hours ago, aaid said:

Iā€™m not disagreeing with you but bear in mind I live in a very safe Tory constituency and the disquiet is palpable. Ā So god only knows what itā€™ll be like in more marginal places.

I saw an interview with Gavin Barwell, who was Theresa Mayā€™s chief of staff and he was talking about the political realities of a vote of confidence. Ā  If the vote was 50+1 then heā€™d be toast, straight away, gone that night. Ā If it was 80% in favour then the rebels would have to get in line and heā€™d be bulletproof. Ā However, if it was something like 2/3rds in favour, a 1/3rd against them while heā€™d technically have won, heā€™d basically be on borrowed time because with that level of opposition, those whoā€™d voted against him wouldnā€™t feel obliged to fall in behind and the opposition would continue to grow and the period he was suggesting was months, not years.Ā 

I think it may end up the latter. He will limp on for a while. My view of opinion may be clouded though as I mainly speak to business people and they are probably more bothered about keeping the Tories in power than who leads the party. Whilst they think Johnson was wrong I think they hope it all just blows over like every other problem he has been involved in.Ā 
The general voter however may be more critical and his days numbered.Ā 

26 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I think it may end up the latter. He will limp on for a while. My view of opinion may be clouded though as I mainly speak to business people and they are probably more bothered about keeping the Tories in power than who leads the party. Whilst they think Johnson was wrong I think they hope it all just blows over like every other problem he has been involved in.Ā 
The general voter however may be more critical and his days numbered.Ā 

Would those business people want him in charge of their companies?

7 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Would those business people want him in charge of their companies?

Would they hell. But I honestly think a lot of people dont care who the figurehead is so long as the conservative Ā party remain in power.
I work in financial markets and the pound has been totally unaffected by the political situation, in fact sterling has strengthened against the Euro the last couple of weeks and its only weakened against the US dollar due to the Russia Ukraine conflict and the soaring US inflation. The reason sterling has been unaffected is because there is very little chance of a new government ( ie Labour) and therefore UK economic policies will remain unchanged. Importers and exporters just want exchange rate stability and Boris Johnson is not adversely affecting this in any way.Ā 

Ā 
Ā 

11 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Definitely surreal.Ā 

Same and nobody in my family thankfully since my folks are getting on and have some co morbidities.Ā 

Hopefully things are headed in the right direction.Ā 

We've had it relatively bad. Both me and the wife were floored on Tuesday, vomiting too. Now we are just fatigued with a cough