Coronavirus - Page 393 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

36 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

i live about 500 yards from the BBC Studios in Glasgow and the wee group of folk i saw having protests there with Alba flags etc all fit the same characteristics. 

That Denise Findlay on twitter being exhibit number 1- some real odd, odd views. 

I blocked her some time back.  She’s completely hatstand and she’s on their exec.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry that would be political suicide for the Yes movement.

Push aggressively for independence during a global pandemic? Sorry but that would be an insane thing to do. Why? Well for Yes to get across the line in IndyRef2 it needs to persuade the majority of don't know/undecided voters. These are generally the hardest to persuade as they are fence sitters petrified of committing to anything. If the Yes movement were to aggressively start pushing NOW for independence then Better Together 2 are given unlimited free ammo from the Yes movement. I can see it now with Better Together saying they are putting independence before the health and well-being of the public and those waiverers will be lost just on that alone. Political suicide.

We have to sit tight and when the infection rate has fallen right off then look to ramp things up.

Don't the two of them go hand in hand though? I mean isn't independence as a whole better for the health and well being of the public? I think it is.

6 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I will always be a supporter of self determination however i have not the will to vocally support the snp in their current state, thay are just as bad as the rest unfortunately,, 

Independence isn't about the SNP though

Was thinking recently that it had been ages since Devi Sridhar was on TV. Dr Christine Tait-Burkard seems to have taken over as the go-to person. Just wondering if this is Devi's choice or if she has been dumped!

I waas shouting at the TV tonight when they said that England reducing the self isolation period to 5 days was bringing it into line with Scotland because we have a 7 day self isolation but it seems England's 5 days is actually the same as Scotland's 7. 🤨

9 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

sturgeon isn't filling everyone with confidence though is she?

Perhaps not, but she shouldn't really matter too much in all this; politicians come and go.  It's the ingrained belief that someone born or living north of Berwick-upon-Tweed is just innately worse at running a country, inferior even to a bunch of despotic ex-public schoolboys and girls.

What I will concede though is feeling mixed emotions when I saw that YouGov poll last night.  On the one hand the likelihood of a Labour government in WM could be bad news for the independence movement; but on the other hand there doesn't seem to be much movement on the independence front right now, so it maybe it is the only hope of getting shot of the Tories in the short to medium term.  🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Replace Boris with Mogg or Gove and Scotland would be en route to indpendence

I thought the same about Johnson.  😕

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The Tory infighting is glorious to behold.

In recent weeks and months there have been whispers about the Scottish Tories breaking away from the Westminster-branch Tories. This latest fall-out may progress those whispers now into something more. And the Scottish Tories who staunchly support their precious union then how does JRM's comments make you feel about this wonderful union of yours now. It seems clear to me as another sign of Tories seeing Scotland as the shit on their shoes.. That won't change even if Johnson goes but I doubt those Scottish Tories will ever see or accept that.

I don't think they will care a jot.  Douglas Ross's pride will probably be a bit hurt but most of the people who vote for him and his party will probably be wondering what all the fuss is about. 

To them, anything to do with the Scottish parliament or Scotland in general will always be inferior.  Everything is viewed through a UK/Westminster prism.  Holyrood and Scottish politics are, at best, a minor distraction; a Challenge Cup tie compared to a league title decider.

What it might do, though, is make a few people who are on the fence sit up and think.

22 hours ago, exile said:

Mogg bigging up Alister Jack as the right sort of Scotch chap

It shows that they still think the Scottish Secretary / Scottish Office (i.e. WM) is thee most important place when it comes to managing Scotland. 

Devolution is a pure inconvenience to them and they couldn’t care less. 

It’s been obvious for so long but this lays it absolutely bare. How anyone can accept or not see that, and put up with that attitude is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

i live about 500 yards from the BBC Studios in Glasgow and the wee group of folk i saw having protests there with Alba flags etc all fit the same characteristics. 

That Denise Findlay on twitter being exhibit number 1- some real odd, odd views. 

Just going by their social media output they seem even more obsessed with GRA and other peripheral nonsense than the SNP!

The Telegraph are reporting this which should mean the end of Johnson

LzNdRx00_bigger.jpg

·
EXCLUSIVE Number 10 held two boozy parties the night before the Queen mourned Prince Philip alone. Staff drank and at points danced until the early hours of the night of April 16. Hours later, the Queen went to a socially-distanced funeral for Philip.

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

LzNdRx00_bigger.jpg

·
EXCLUSIVE Number 10 held two boozy parties the night before the Queen mourned Prince Philip alone. Staff drank and at points danced until the early hours of the night of April 16. Hours later, the Queen went to a socially-distanced funeral for Philip.

Comes with extra sad Queen in mourning on her own.

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

LzNdRx00_bigger.jpg

·

Yeah because the Queen's pain is more important than the rest of the plebs

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

They are. Driven by Wings

I wonder if AS is starting to have some regrets about starting Alba.  All he's succeeded in doing so far is luring some of the biggest zoomers in the the independence movement out of the shadows.

I'm feeling a wee bit politically homeless at the moment. There has to be a happy medium between Alba's moon-howlers and the ineffectual, painfully PC careerists of the SNP.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

LzNdRx00_bigger.jpg

·

I wonder if this will be the final straw for Baw Jaws. Dodgy government contracts, siphoning off billions of pounds of public money and hosting illegal parties is one thing, but you don't fuck with Queenie!

Just watched the video of MPs talking about how they lost people during covid but they couldn't be with them

Johnson couldnt even be bothered to turn up that day

Not only does Johnson need to resign, he needs a bloody good kicking 

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

I wonder if this will be the final straw for Baw Jaws. Dodgy government contracts, siphoning off billions of pounds of public money and hosting illegal parties is one thing, but you don't fuck with Queenie!

Mail and Express readers are his last men standing. He is fooked. 

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Just watched the video of MPs talking about how they lost people during covid but they couldn't be with them

Johnson couldnt even be bothered to turn up that day

Not only does Johnson need to resign, he needs a bloody good kicking 

Talking of kickings, the Welsh Secretary took a severe one on Question Time last night. Another snivelling Tory goon who couldn't bring himself to decry his toxic, obnoxious arsehole of a boss