Coronavirus - Page 380 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

When is our mentality going to change though , when are we going to see ourselves as responsible enough to make our own decisions .

indeed when does the your Scottish government knows what is best for you going to change if ever.

They have control over our lives and won’t let go and people seem to have accepted it.

who is swinney to tell people where they should be travelling to.

we survived for generations with making our own decisions , yet so many of the population cannot survive without being told what is best for them now. 

No we didnt. There has always been laws. Its literally the governments job to make laws because society cant be trusted to do the right thing.

Take drink driving. Most people know that having a drink is ok but instead of having no law and "trusting" drivers to make the sensible decision about when to drive we have a limit and even then idiots dont get the message.

Covid is exactly the same. There will always be selfish idiots out there that think the rules dont apply to them or look at life entirely with themselves in mind.

"Scottish Conservative health spokesman Dr Sandesh Gulhane highlights the "inconsistencies" in decision-making as shopping streets are "heaving" in comparison to football stadiums.

He adds the sport plays a valuable role in mental health and asks if additional support will be provided to protect the mental health of fans."

I think the TAMB could apply for a sizable chunk of that grant.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

There is absolutely nothing stopping folk going to Newcastle or wherever for a night out. Wouldnt call folk going for a weekend away arseholes. 

Are folk that go to say weddings this week in Scotland arseholes for mixing with 200 + folk with no restrictions?

No, not at all. Folk constantly moaning about it though are. First day back at work yesterday and it was all we heard, so maybe I just needed to vent. It's more the "me, me, me," culture I was fed up of.

Agreed that makes no sense folk can go shopping in a busy shopping centre yet football down to 500 seems odd. 

Im a hypocrite though. Fed up hearing about it yet post in here to moan about it ;)

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I kept a paragraph between my 2 points deliberately.  I am not just referring to covid when comparing us to America , I am meaning in general. We most definitely are picking up a lot of their traits and not the good ones. There are decent people in America too, but we are becoming a dumbed down nation IMO due to all the shite on social media etc. 

I realise most people are doing the right things, my beef is with the folk who are moaning their heads off because they cant go to a football game or a Hogmanay event. There are really very little restrictions. How the hell would these folk survive in countries with constant restrictions due to poverty etc.  

People like that grind my gears.  They'll give it "I don't want the government telling me what to do" one minute, then they'll go crying to them like a 3-year-old lassie with a skint knee when something goes wrong and they need someone to make it all better.  It's a wean's mentality. 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Folk doing that aren't breaking any guidance, never mind laws though. 

Might not sit well with some folk but they are perfectly within their rights to go wherever they want as long as they obey the rules in the country they visit.

I went to Newcastle for my brothers stag in the summer as the rules allowed us to have a better time down there. Not sure that's entitlement, that's just folk making the best of the shite situation. 

That's not surprising - Newcastle's a great night out. 

This notion that's been put out there by some papers - and also, shamefully, by the BBC - of thousands of people from Scotland heading over the border for Hogmanay is nonsense though.  As if anyone is going to spend all that time and money and effort just to avoid having to put a mask on when they get up to go the toilet in a pub!  Or maybe Carlisle just has really great nightlife, I don't know.

I think a larger proportion of the folk in hospital is due to prevalence so a lot of folk in with covid as opposed to because of covid, however the occupancy is ramping up. Age profile chaning as well as cases filter through to older cohorts as happens each wave.

Scotland up to almost 700 now (we'd got under 500 10 days ago), England as well

Edited by phart

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

"Scottish Conservative health spokesman Dr Sandesh Gulhane highlights the "inconsistencies" in decision-making as shopping streets are "heaving" in comparison to football stadiums.

He adds the sport plays a valuable role in mental health and asks if additional support will be provided to protect the mental health of fans."

I think the TAMB could apply for a sizable chunk of that grant.

If people cared about the mental health of football fans they would ban football 😆

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

People like that grind my gears.  They'll give it "I don't want the government telling me what to do" one minute, then they'll go crying to them like a 3-year-old lassie with a skint knee when something goes wrong and they need someone to make it all better.  It's a wean's mentality. 

That's not surprising - Newcastle's a great night out. 

This notion that's been put out there by some papers - and also, shamefully, by the BBC - of thousands of people from Scotland heading over the border for Hogmanay is nonsense though.  As if anyone is going to spend all that time and money and effort just to avoid having to put a mask on when they get up to go the toilet in a pub!  Or maybe Carlisle just has really great nightlife, I don't know.

Remember when we were told that Carlisle was going to be overrun by fans going down to watch the Old Firm game in pubs. 

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2020-10-17/old-firm-fans-heed-warnings-and-stay-away-from-carlisle-on-match-day

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think figures are probably under reported at the moment because of the holidays, need to really wait until next week to get a more realistic view. 

Would that not be the same everywhere?

42 minutes ago, aaid said:

Remember when we were told that Carlisle was going to be overrun by fans going down to watch the Old Firm game in pubs. 

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2020-10-17/old-firm-fans-heed-warnings-and-stay-away-from-carlisle-on-match-day

🤣 I'd forgotten about that.

In the same vein, the predicted convoys of shoppers driving down to Berwick and Carlisle to save 30p on a bottle of cider never materialised either!

Hard to tell with numbers at this time but the folk I follow are being cautiously optimistic about hospital rates etc.

ONS survey had 10% of London infected last week, Omicron infection seems to give protection against the other variants circulating (R number for Delta is plummeting it seems) which is a welcome side effect especially if it's just going to burn through the population.

35 minutes ago, slasher said:

I'm more optimistic than at any time that this is in its dying embers. 

Someone encourage me 🙏

No idea but might as well enjoy Hogmany as we won't know shit till after it.

I even had a break for christmas too. Going to get some drink in for Hogmany and buying a big breakfast pack from butchers for new years day, not had a fry up in over a year.

11 hours ago, slasher said:

I'm more optimistic than at any time that this is in its dying embers. 

Someone encourage me 🙏

I think the winter months were always going to be the worst and things will have improved quite a bit by spring.

Not that I have any actual science to back this up of course, but I can feel it in ma wa’ters and of course my 3 covid jags 😁