Coronavirus - Page 379 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

28 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You only need to isolate if you love with the person and even then Scotland is an outlier with this rule.

South Africa have all but sacked off isolation rules. Funnily enough despite being ahead of us on this, their health service isnt being swamped.Ā 

Sturgeon has gone too far with this love is love shite

10 hours ago, aaid said:

It really isnā€™t. Ā  There are arseholes out there, and some on here, but their actual numbers are low in comparison to how their voices are amplified. Ā Remember, empty vessels make the most noise. Ā  The vast majority of the population are doing the right things.Ā 

I kept a paragraph between my 2 points deliberately. Ā I am not just referring to covid when comparing us to America , I am meaning in general. We most definitely are picking up a lot of their traits and not the good ones. There are decent people in America too, but we are becoming a dumbed down nation IMO due to all the shite on social media etc.Ā 

I realise most people are doing the right things, my beef is with the folk who are moaning their heads off because they cant go to a football game or a Hogmanay event. There are really very little restrictions. How the hell would these folk survive in countries with constant restrictions due to poverty etc. Ā 
Ā 

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Thanks

The answers are No, No and Yes and we've just had a negative test

If you do not live with someone who has tested positive

If you're a close contact and do not live with the person who tested positive you must self-isolate andĀ book a testĀ as soon as possible.Ā Children under 5 are encouraged but not required to take a PCR test.

YouĀ can end self-isolation if all of the following apply:

• you're fully vaccinated ā€“ this means youā€™ve received 2 doses ofĀ an approved vaccineĀ and have had your second dose more than 14 days ago
  • you receive a negative PCR test result
  • you do not have, or develop, symptoms

If you are not fully vaccinated you must complete the 10-day self-isolation, even if your test result is negative.

If you develop symptoms, restart your self-isolation from the date your symptoms started andĀ book another test.

Just now, Orraloon said:

If you do not live with someone who has tested positive

If you're a close contact and do not live with the person who tested positive you must self-isolate andĀ book a testĀ as soon as possible.Ā Children under 5 are encouraged but not required to take a PCR test.

YouĀ can end self-isolation if all of the following apply:

• you're fully vaccinated ā€“ this means youā€™ve received 2 doses ofĀ an approved vaccineĀ and have had your second dose more than 14 days ago
  • you receive a negative PCR test result
  • you do not have, or develop, symptoms

If you are not fully vaccinated you must complete the 10-day self-isolation, even if your test result is negative.

If you develop symptoms, restart your self-isolation from the date your symptoms started andĀ book another test.

Ā 

This means you can stop isolating if you want to.Ā 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The issue also seems to be around whether we class my mum as a household contact.

You probably aren't even classed as a "close contact" because Test and Protect haven't told you that you are a close contact.Ā 

If you think you still want to isolate to be on the safe side, then that's fair enough and I would probably do the same, but it isn't the rules that are telling you to do that.

25 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I realise most people are doing the right things, my beef is with the folk who are moaning their heads off because they cant go to a football game or a Hogmanay event. There are really very little restrictions. How the hell would these folk survive in countries with constant restrictions due to poverty etc. Ā 
Ā 

Exactly. Hence my question ā€˜what is normal lifeā€™

There is a huge sense of entitlement that has developed and sadly no end in sight to the me me me culture Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

40 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I kept a paragraph between my 2 points deliberately. Ā I am not just referring to covid when comparing us to America , I am meaning in general. We most definitely are picking up a lot of their traits and not the good ones. There are decent people in America too, but we are becoming a dumbed down nation IMO due to all the shite on social media etc.Ā 

Ā 

I was referring to the general case, things get amplified by social media. Ā Thereā€™s a real issue to do with disinformation being deliberately spread by bad faith actors and people being radicalised by that, but the actual numbers are a lot lower than the volume on social media might suggest. Ā 
Ā 

An old school friend of mine has been very active on the socials for a number of years. Ā In the last year or so, heā€™s gone totally down the GRA rabbit hole to the point where 90% of his posts are about that. Ā  I did a bit of an unscientific audit of his posts the other day and the GRA ones attracted no comments, likes or shares. Ā  The odd ones that were about more day-to-day stuff attracted a normal level of interaction with others.

My takeaway from this is that heā€™s completely obsessed with a single issue, which actually has no direct impact on him whatsoever, generates a massive amount of content and noise which no one appears to be interested in.Ā 

In terms of COVID, you hear all these stories about people not following restrictions and not doing what ā€œtheyā€ tell you to do, the latest one seems to be coach trips from all over Scotland going down to England for Hogmanay. Ā For the last two years weā€™ve heard all about ā€œthe public wonā€™t put up with thisā€, put up with it people have, theyā€™ve worn their masks, theyā€™ve kept their distance and theyā€™ve had their jags.Ā 

22 minutes ago, Lamia said:

There is a huge sense of entitlement that has developed and sadly no end in sight to the me me me culture Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I'd say a government not telling you how many people you are allowed in your own home is a a normal life.Ā 

I honestly think some folk would be happy to live with these types of restrictions forever.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

]

In terms of COVID, you hear all these stories about people not following restrictions and not doing what ā€œtheyā€ tell you to do, the latest one seems to be coach trips from all over Scotland going down to England for Hogmanay. ]

Folk doing that aren't breaking any guidance, never mind laws though.Ā 

Might not sit well with some folk but they are perfectly within their rights to go wherever they want as long as they obey the rules in the country they visit.

I went to Newcastle for my brothers stag in the summer as the rules allowed us to have a better time down there. Not sure that's entitlement, that's just folk making the best of the shite situation.Ā 

Ā 

31 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Ā 

Ā 

I donā€™t thatā€™s very fair, weā€™re talking about people missing things that make life what it is. People, regardless of the quality of their ā€œnormal lifeā€ are allowed to be annoyed and frustrated with how things are going. Sure, the government are in a tough spot balancing public safety and individual freedom.Ā 

When is our mentality going to change though , when are we going to see ourselves as responsible enough to make our own decisions .

indeed when does the your Scottish government knows what is best for you going to change if ever.

They have control over our lives and wonā€™t let go and people seem to have accepted it.

who is swinney to tell people where they should be travelling to.

we survived for generations with making our own decisions , yet so many of the population cannot survive without being told what is best for them now.Ā 

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd say a government not telling you how many people you are allowed in your own home is a a normal life.Ā 

I honestly think some folk would be happy to live with these types of restrictions forever.

Its advisory though, to try and limit the spread, no one is going to knock on your door and huckle you off to jail if you have more than 6 folk in your house. They are hoping the majority if folk will stick to the guidelines as closely as possible. At least that is my interpretation, Ā I may be wrong.Ā 

I am as weary of the restrictions as the next person, the sooner we can get back to a normal life the better. I also think you would be hard pushed to Ā find someone who enjoys a social life more than me, but it really wont be forever .Ā 

I do think folk have the right to call out governments if it is going too far , personally though at the moment there is very , very little I am unable to do that I dont want to and cannot see what the fuss is about for a few weeks.Ā 

8 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

When is our mentality going to change though , when are we going to see ourselves as responsible enough to make our own decisions .

indeed when does the your Scottish government knows what is best for you going to change if ever.

They have control over our lives and wonā€™t let go and people seem to have accepted it.

we survived for generations with making our own decisions , yet so many of the population cannot survive without being told what is best for them now.Ā 

You would be as well saying what is the point of a government ( you may actually feel none whatsoever) , but I think if you were to leave the general public to make their own decisions you may regret the consequences.Ā 

12 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

You're just being a parody for reactions now right?

31 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Seriously, think before you post shite like this.

24 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You would be as well saying what is the point of a government ( you may actually feel none whatsoever) , but I think if you were to leave the general public to make their own decisions you may regret the consequences.Ā 

I think he'd be happy with a government in another country making the decisions.

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think he'd be happy with a government in another country making the decisions.

Well if he is referring to the UK government it makes his argument even weaker.

Even the Scottish governmentā€™s strongest supporters must recognise they have made mistakes during covid, but to suggest Westminster have been better is laughable. The PM doesnā€™t have the back bone to make his own decisions, he is being controlled from the sidelines .
At least if there was no government the public would have no salaries to pay, as it is they are paying salaries to a cabinet who are being manipulated by the back benchers . Their risky strategy may work, it may not, but its got nothing to do with treating people like adults and trusting them. The Tories dont trust anyone, especially each other .Ā 
Ā 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If people could actually use common sense and had the ability to adapt the government wouldnā€™t have to tell us to do anything but since going to a football match is more important to some than their family and friends health and they demand a definition of a cafe then there is no hope of that.Ā 

Edited by Lamia

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I donā€™t thatā€™s very fair, weā€™re talking about people missing things that make life what it is. People, regardless of the quality of their ā€œnormal lifeā€ are allowed to be annoyed and frustrated with how things are going. Sure, the government are in a tough spot balancing public safety and individual freedom.Ā 

Being annoyed and acting like a spoilt child are too different things though. I am sure we are all annoyed about one thing or another.Ā 

Edited by Lamia