Coronavirus - Page 376 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

Yesterday...

Ontario has logged more than 5,700 new COVID-19 cases for the first time since the pandemic began, breaking a record for the highest number of infections reported in a day.

Health officials reported 5,790 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Thursday. The highest daily number of infections previously reported was 4,812 cases on April 16.

Today...

Ontario reported 9,571 new COVID-19 cases and six net new deaths on Friday, shattering all previous records for infection while multiple officials conceded the province’s testing system can no longer keep up with and track the spread of infection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We currently have a backlog of 67,000 tests, and a positivity rate of 18%.

Thankfully (this time) the ICU numbers are holding.

No further restrictions in England again.

I'm on my last day of isolation, neither me or my missus had any symptoms other than her having a tickly cough.

I know a lot more folk in past month with covid that entire time before and not yet spoken to any family/friends that are remotely Ill with it (all vaxxed)

Had a quiet Christmas, stuck to rules but its getting time daft stage now with isolation. 

Cases through roof but definitely not reflective in people actually ill. 

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm on my last day of isolation, neither me or my missus had any symptoms other than her having a tickly cough.

I know a lot more folk in past month with covid that entire time before and not yet spoken to any family/friends that are remotely Ill with it (all vaxxed)

Had a quiet Christmas, stuck to rules but its getting time daft stage now with isolation. 

Glad to hear you and your wife are feeling reasonably okay but whilst we allow the your Scottish government knows best for your mantra versus England take responsibility for yourself contrast. We are not going to away from the hold the SG takes over our lives mantra and with so many willing to accept it still.

Most of our being different , going it alone has resulted in worse results,

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Last paragraph is bang on. Hospital numbers have been very steady for some time now. As are ICU numbers. 

The only people that I know of late that have been very unwell are the blantant refuseniks that continue to post some of the wildest, not to mention ridiculous, conspiracy theories imaginable

Edited by King Of Paisley

34 minutes ago, phart said:

Impossible to tell yet as the data is lagged between cases and hospitalisation.

I hope it's mild across the board as injections and infection have built up that immunity wall.

Added to the fact that Covid waves generally start in the younger age groups and take time to move up the ages. But hopefully it will remain low. 

2 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Glad to hear you and your wife are feeling reasonably okay but whilst we allow the your Scottish government knows best for your mantra versus England take responsibility for yourself contrast. We are not going to away from the hold the SG takes over our lives mantra and with so many willing to accept it still.

Most of our being different , going it alone has resulted in worse results,

Not exactly going alone, Wales, N.Ireland have also taken a more cautious approach.

The government in England is gambling on a combination of vaccinations, Omicron being milder and people voluntarily refraining from mixing being enough to ensure that cases, hospitalisations and deaths don’t rise to an unacceptable level.

If the gamble pays off then they’ll take the credit, if it doesn’t then they’ll blame the public for being irresponsible. 

Its a very poor decision from the Scottish government that seems to have backfired, it really is a sad state of affairs, not a great look when the english get to celebrate Hogmanay and we are closed up,, what would have an extra week have done? Hospital admissions are still low, we cant keep doing this over and over again 

6 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Its a very poor decision from the Scottish government that seems to have backfired, it really is a sad state of affairs, not a great look when the english get to celebrate Hogmanay and we are closed up,, what would have an extra week have done? Hospital admissions are still low, we cant keep doing this over and over again 

But didn’t a public panel  not sure where they came from support the governments zero Covid strategy , whereas down south it’s we have to learn to live with it.

There is another meeting tomorrow , could she close hospitality completely again.

Edited by DAVIDB46

48 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

In what way has it backfired? I'd have thought the record number of cases, that have surged over the Christmas weekend in the absence of the restrictions, would at least concentrate the mind that some action was necessary. Hopefully the restrictions now kicking in will limit the damage to health and economy going forward as infections are likely to lead into both hospitalisations and to staffing shortages in hospitals and any other sectors.

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

But didn’t a public panel  not sure where they came from support the governments zero Covid strategy , whereas down south it’s we have to learn to live with it.

There is another meeting tomorrow , could she close hospitality completely again.

She would fucking love to. All this nonsense means she doesnt have to answer why shes zero intention of a referendum or actually improving education. 

24 minutes ago, phart said:

Let's see what is happening on 17th of January then we can decide what the situation is.

She'll probably say she doesnt know enough yet, moan about money, need to look like shes doing something so keep football stadiums etc shut then keep the restrictions for another 3 weeks.

Plus get a few smarmy answers in when asked if shes made a mistake.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

She'll probably say she doesnt know enough yet, moan about money, need to look like shes doing something so keep football stadiums etc shut then keep the restrictions for another 3 weeks.

Plus get a few smarmy answers in when asked if shes made a mistake.

If I were her I would just put restrictions on football forever - bunch of spoilt crybabies! 😂

36 minutes ago, Lamia said:

If I were her I would just put restrictions on football forever - bunch of spoilt crybabies! 😂

As i've said many time a lot of folk are willing to wager your death to ease their suffering. We all do it to some degree, it's just a case how much death to assuage how little suffering.

How successful the different paths are will become apparent in the next few weeks, however, it’s worth pointing out that when it comes to the approach in Scotland, it’s more closely aligned to not only Wales and Northern Ireland but the rest of Europe, it’s really England that’s the outlier here.   I doubt that the UKG is putting public health at top of their agenda. 

But hey, Nicola Sturgeon just wants to be different.