Coronavirus - Page 374 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

10 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

But its not just Scotland that is doing it , Wales are arguably stricter than us and with more measures likely to be put in today. Northern Ireland are also likely to be bringing more measures in.  The only home nation country that isnt is England and thats only because Bojo has the spine of a slug and cares more about losing the support of his backbenchers than putting measures in place.

I can understand people’s frustration but lets not pretend we alone are having restrictions imposed on us. If NS is grand standing she must be the only politcian i know that deliberately grand stands to become more unpopular. 

Radio Clyde phone in last night was an utter joke.  The presenter ( who I actually normally think is pretty good despite hosting a programme simply for the ugly sisters to have a greet night after night ) was going on about how football plays such a massive part of peoples lives in Scotland which them veered into the mental health issues it would  cause with folk not being able to get to the football. This of course whips the callers into a frenzy. 
Everyone knew the winter was going to pose problems . The NHS are struggling not only due to the higher number of beds being taken but because of how short staffed they are due to staff having covid and stressed. And the phone in is worrying about stress caused because folk cant go to the football. FFS. 

The Scottish Goverbments decision won’t help the NHS. It won’t help anybody.

There will be no measurable benefits from the additional controls placed on people here on Scotland. That’s obvious to me at least. 

It’s vaccine passports all over again.

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Nightclubs are being restricted too as are pubs. Table service limited numbers etc

So I ask again, what else could she have done?

There isn't a one size fits all solution here, regardless of what she does, there would still be plenty of people pissing an moaning about small inconveniences.

She could have acted at the start of December, when it would have made a difference.

And she could have held her bottle once she’d committed to riding the bitter wave. 

As it happens, this government have made the worst combination of decisions. Not clever IMO.

Fuck me, It takes some doing for boris Johnston to politically out manoeuvre you but sturgeon and the welsh loser Labour lad have allowed this to happen with their grandstanding restrictions,, i am seriously embarrassed to be a member of the snp and had it not been for the fact i will have vote to keep Angus robertson out when sturgeon steps aside i would have chucked my membership 

36 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Fuck me, It takes some doing for boris Johnston to politically out manoeuvre you but sturgeon and the welsh loser Labour lad have allowed this to happen with their grandstanding restrictions,, i am seriously embarrassed to be a member of the snp and had it not been for the fact i will have vote to keep Angus robertson out when sturgeon steps aside i would have chucked my membership 

Don’t worry, it’ll only be a matter of time before you get turfed out. 

9 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

The Scottish Goverbments decision won’t help the NHS. It won’t help anybody.

There will be no measurable benefits from the additional controls placed on people here on Scotland. That’s obvious to me at least. 

It’s vaccine passports all over again.

Since I am not a scientist I will bow to your better judgment. 

9 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

She could have acted at the start of December, when it would have made a difference.

And she could have held her bottle once she’d committed to riding the bitter wave. 

As it happens, this government have made the worst combination of decisions. Not clever IMO.

What would you have her do at the start of December? Was there enough info at the start of December to act?

The same names on here would be greetin like bairns no matter what decision sturgeon made

You seem to be developing this as a theme... that Sturgeon will be criticized no matter what she does.

But it does not bear scrutiny.

When Sturgeon got the job none of these critics existed. None of us were saying anything negative about her or the SNP. I even joined the SNP under her watch!

The people now criticizing her the most are not unionists they are SNP members (current and former) and / or pro independence folk.

The unionists on here are all gone or are not even bothering anymore.

Sturgeon has earned this... by what she has done over the last seven years. None of this existed seven years ago. She has made it.

But you know what has not changed since then... the SNP fanboys on here who defend her no matter what she does. That is what has never changed.

Edited by thplinth

Independent Sage have been calling for action since last week at least.

Government should ask public to limit contact ‘now’, behavioural scientist says

Stephen Reicher December 21st:

"Thank God someone is listening to the science and has the moral courage to say the things that all of us wish weren't true, do the things all of us wish didn't need to be done, but which have to be done in order to avoid much worse."

31 minutes ago, thplinth said:

You seem to be developing this as a theme... that Sturgeon will be criticized no matter what she does.

But it does not bear scrutiny.

When Sturgeon got the job none of these critics existed. None of us were saying anything negative about her or the SNP. I even joined the SNP under her watch!

The people now criticizing her the most are not unionists they are SNP members (current and former) and / or pro independence folk.

The unionists on here are all gone or are not even bothering anymore.

Sturgeon has earned this... by what she has done over the last seven years. None of this existed seven years ago. She has made it.

But you know what has not changed since then... the SNP fanboys on here who defend her no matter what she does. That is what has never changed.

I disagree with that, I am no sturgeon fanboy but I do believe she would be criticised no matter what decision she makes when it comes to covid. There will always be someone moaning about not getting a pint or getting to the fitba. 

When it comes to other areas out with covid, I am far from her biggest fan but as before I see the SNP as nothing more than a means to an end

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I disagree with that, I am no sturgeon fanboy but I do believe she would be criticised no matter what decision she makes when it comes to covid. There will always be someone moaning about not getting a pint or getting to the fitba. 

When it comes to other areas out with covid, I am far from her biggest fan but as before I see the SNP as nothing more than a means to an end

I did not mean to insinuate you were... but they exist for sure. And they outnumber the critics and effectively bully people on here. Anyways better not derail this thread.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

I did not mean to insinuate you were... but they exist for sure. And they outnumber the critics and effectively bully people on here. Anyways better not derail this thread.

the thread was derailed long ago. I don't see any bullying on here, plenty of disagreements and sometimes people make things personal, including you but thats about it

The public are moaning about every single leader in every home nation regarding covid. Not one of them has the public completely onside. 
In Scotland the political situation exacerbates it even more than other countries.

Boris Johnson is doing no better , anyone who thinks he is is out of touch with what is happening down there.  I speak to people in England every day and I have yet to hear one with a positive opinion of him on Covid. They criticise his weak leadership and constant indecision. And I know most of them are Tories.
However this should not be a competition between the countries , IMO they should be working better together on this there is far too much oneupmanship, particularly between Johnson and Sturgeon.  
But ultimately there will always be folk who think they know better. Maybe they do and if so should perhaps throw their hats in the ring at the next election. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The public are moaning about every single leader in every home nation regarding covid. Not one of them has the public completely onside. 
In Scotland the political situation exacerbates it even more than other countries.

Boris Johnson is doing no better , anyone who thinks he is is out of touch with what is happening down there.  I speak to people in England every day and I have yet to hear one with a positive opinion of him on Covid. They criticise his weak leadership and constant indecision. And I know most of them are Tories.
However this should not be a competition between the countries , IMO they should be working better together on this there is far too much oneupmanship, particularly between Johnson and Sturgeon.  
But ultimately there will always be folk who think they know better. Maybe they do and if so should perhaps throw their hats in the ring at the next election. 

Amen!

51 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Anyone who dares support NS on here is classed as a fanboy by certain posters  , its tedious and lazy. 

Like you the SNP is a means to an end for me, I daresay it is for a large number of people. I dont mind NS but neither do I idolise her. I stopped idolising people when I took down my Bay City Rollers posters. 

34 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

As someone who lives deep in the Tory heartlands I can back up 100% what you say about Johnson, even the - admittedly few - people I know who are Tory members think he’s an idiot.  

I also follow the local football team who play in the National League.  Wrexham are also in this league and the restrictions brought in by the Welsh Government means their game on Boxing Day - which was sold out - is behind closed doors whereas on the 28th December they’re away and there’s - currently - no restrictions. 

Wrexham fans are properly losing their shit over Drakeford about this, crying about how unfair it is and how they’re being discriminated against. 

Two things they don’t like you pointing out to them 1. They’re all Tories there now anyway (they elected a Tory MP as part of the red wall collapse) and 2. Maybe they should play in a league in their own country. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever being one, a wise man once said

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Anyone who dares support NS on here is classed as a fanboy by certain posters  , its tedious and lazy. 

Like you the SNP is a means to an end for me, I daresay it is for a large number of people. I dont mind NS but neither do I idolise her. I stopped idolising people when I took down my Bay City Rollers posters. 

Last week 🤔😁