Coronavirus - Page 366 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

What is baffling me are the number of people who say they haven't seen certain family members for over two years and have planned to meet them this Christmas. Why on earth would you wait two years and then meet up in winter when the chances are so much higher that Covid will be an issue. What was wrong with the summer time? 🤔

I met some friends yesterday, everyone took LFT before heading through.

They all have young children, been super stressful for them as kids always ill with symptoms that could be covid. So have to take many tests. Also in the last 6 months only in one week has one of them had both their kids at nursery/ primary 1 for the full term.

Also cause of that they're getting ill a lot more as not mixing and sharing random colds. Were saying that chicken pox happening later as well as normally over and done with in nursery now affecting schools etc.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

I met some friends yesterday, everyone took LFT before heading through.

They all have young children, been super stressful for them as kids always ill with symptoms that could be covid. So have to take many tests. Also in the last 6 months only in one week has one of them had both their kids at nursery/ primary 1 for the full term.

Also cause of that they're getting ill a lot more as not mixing and sharing random colds. Were saying that chicken pox happening later as well as normally over and done with in nursery now affecting schools etc.

I'm teaching a Primary 3 class this year. They've yet to experience a full year of being in a classroom. I'm only in my third year as a teacher. I'm absolutely blown away by how hard my colleagues and I are working. The kids are amazing and they just take all of this Covid stuff in their stride. They are unbelievably resilient; good on them. We'll get through this.

8 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I'm teaching a Primary 3 class this year. They've yet to experience a full year of being in a classroom. I'm only in my third year as a teacher. I'm absolutely blown away by how hard my colleagues and I are working. The kids are amazing and they just take all of this Covid stuff in their stride. They are unbelievably resilient; good on them. We'll get through this.

Aye a lot of hard work for teachers , one of my mates teaches secondary so a different dynamic. Another is a lecturer so again very different. Incredible amount of work for everyone involved in teaching!

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I reckon the 27th December restrictions will hit us down here

Feels very much like last year where the government leaked stories to the press about potential restrictions then they hit us with the news of lockdown.

I hope I'm wrong 

I'm in Wiltshire for Christmas, leaving to come home on the 27th

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not far from you, hampshire near the border of Surrey. 

Sorry fella, that means absolutely fuck all to me, the only reason I know Wiltshire is my sister stays there. My knowledge of English counties is probably up there with an Englishman knowing where Kirkcudbrightshire is.

Where's yer nearest town. I'll be near Chippenham

7 hours ago, chaff said:

Sorry fella, that means absolutely fuck all to me, the only reason I know Wiltshire is my sister stays there. My knowledge of English counties is probably up there with an Englishman knowing where Kirkcudbrightshire is.

I'm about 70 miles from Chippenham 

9 hours ago, chaff said:

Some good pubs in Chippenham. Bruce and I had a good session in the Old Road Tavern one Saturday after Football a few years back. 

A Lockdown wont work this time around, i have went by the rules each lock down but wont be this time, yes its anecdotal but from from what i have have seen or heard the majority of the folk are the same. I just dont see it happening, maybe restriction to indoor events.I hope to god its not anything more. Whys everyone getting booster vaccines if we get locked down anyway, utter madness

Edited by hampden_loon2878

12 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

A Lockdown wont work this time around, i have went by the rules each lock down but wont be this time, yes its anecdotal but from from what i have have seen or heard the majority of the folk are the same. I just dont see it happening, maybe restriction to indoor events.I hope to god its not anything more. Whys everyone getting booster vaccines if we get locked down anyway, utter madness

I don't really understand this attitude. I'm fully vaccinated but I understand it doesn't prevent me getting it but if us being locked down stops others getting it, so be it. It's an inconvenience but we will cope.

I'd like to know what the verified data is for hospitalised covid patients. Are they vaccinated? If not, we know exactly where the problem is.

14 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Good for you Killie. Like Phart says its been a particularly tough time for teachers.
My oldest daughter is a secondary teacher and my youngest is at Uni training to become a primary teacher. She is in her 3rd year and she has literally just finished her 1st placement in a school. She only has 1 and a half yrs left at Uni , there will be a lot of expectation from newly qualified teachers yet they have not had the level of practical experience they normally have at this stage. 

51 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Because the booster might stop you from dying or help to keep you out of hospital. The booster might also reduce the risk of you from spreading it to somebody else who could end up dying.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't really understand this attitude. I'm fully vaccinated but I understand it doesn't prevent me getting it but if us being locked down stops others getting it, so be it. It's an inconvenience but we will cope.

I'd like to know what the verified data is for hospitalised covid patients. Are they vaccinated? If not, we know exactly where the problem is.

But where does this stop, it will just be an endless cycle, i am also fully vaccinated. i only know around half a dizen mentalists who aren't where i stay was rife with covid two weeks back, all had different symptoms but they were mild which may or may not show the effectiveness of the vaccine. 

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Because the booster might stop you from dying or help to keep you out of hospital. The booster might also reduce the risk of you from spreading it to somebody else who could end up dying.

So we are going to just keep locking down every six months, sorry i am just no willing to do this anymore. Its not the booster i am against far from it

41 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ever consider the possibility the vaccines are prolonging it and making it gradually stronger and stronger. I was reading that the previous big flu epidemics died out in the 1-2 year range... this one does not seem to be dying out, it seems to be getting worse and worse. Why?

It wont come down to what gets posted on this thread (thankfully)... we are all going to live it. Either it will fizzle out like all previous epidemics or won't. If it doesn't we have to start asking why. What has changed this time around... But of course the narrative will just change again. 😀

19 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

But where does this stop, it will just be an endless cycle, i am also fully vaccinated. i only know around half a dizen mentalists who aren't where i stay was rife with covid two weeks back, all had different symptoms but they were mild which may or may not show the effectiveness of the vaccine. 

I've no idea when it stops, if I was to guess, probably when covid patient numbers are down, I don't believe it will an endless cycle, if it is........we are fucked.

As I said, this is an inconvenience if we are locked down, we lose a few luxuries and visiting people for a short period. It's annoying but I can live with it.

You sure your stance has nothing to do with sturgeon?