Coronavirus - Page 346 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

25 minutes ago, phart said:

Ā 

Seems totally fitting with where we are that 2019/20 were varying degrees of shambolic yet Boris was untouchable - roll on 2020/21 and, either by fluke or design, his government got something right yet his arse is looking increasingly out the window.Ā Ā 

15 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Seems totally fitting with where we are that 2019/20 were varying degrees of shambolic yet Boris was untouchable - roll on 2020/21 and, either by fluke or design, his government got something right yet his arse is looking increasingly out the window.Ā Ā 

Yeah I didn't think opening up was a good idea until pouring over all the models and reading mathematicians explain you just push the wave to another time, with vaccine roll out you then had a method to mitigate nhs load as well. Still would have been nicer to have a lower case rate.

Booster effect really coming in as well as you can see with the first graphic above.

Ā 

9 hours ago, phart said:

Booster update, feel grand got a great sleep last night (10+ hours) arm stll a bit sore. I got both jags into the same arm.

Ā 

My turn tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. There seems to be a mix of getting the jab in one or both arms. I initially heard that they would only do one in each arm and then started hearing about others getting it in one arm and then others getting a choice. Think I would prefer one arm given how sore it was with the first two Covid vaccines. I had AZ the last time so it is making me worry more because I have no experience of Pfizer or Moderrna. On the other hand I know these are better.

4 minutes ago, Lamia said:

My turn tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. There seems to be a mix of getting the jab in one or both arms. I initially heard that they would only do one in each arm and then started hearing about others getting it in one arm and then others getting a choice. Think I would prefer one arm given how sore it was with the first two Covid vaccines. I had AZ the last time so it is making me worry more because I have no experience of Pfizer or Moderrna. On the other hand I know these are better.

I got them both in my left arm, i'm glad i did.

I had strong reactions to both AZ jags, especially the first one and got moderna this time, it was the most passive reaction i had out of all 3.

The year before i got a shit load of vaccinations for Kenya and a sore arm and mild cold like symptoms for 24 hours was the worst I had.

I'm sure you will be fine.

Edited by phart

10 hours ago, phart said:

Genomic sequencing picked up a potential nasty one, only 10 cases in Africa so far but has a lot of mutations.

Ā 

Just seen the positivity thread getting a bounce then back to earth with this - from the articles around it too it doesn't look great.Ā Ā 

Is it basically everything crossed it doesn't go pear shaped in South Africa or we're beginning to look a bit chickeny?Ā  Ā 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Just seen the positivity thread getting a bounce then back to earth with this - from the articles around it too it doesn't look great.Ā Ā 

Is it basically everything crossed it doesn't go pear shaped in South Africa or we're beginning to look a bit chickeny?Ā  Ā 

There's been quite a few dodgy mutations over the past 18 months found in genomic sequencing, none have taken hold. They reckon this was a super long infection from someone with HIV immune deficiency.

It's 10 cases. It has to out perform delta which is now at like 99.5% of all cases sequenced. Also it might cause milder outcomes. Also if the spike protein changes enough to evade immune response it could also change too much for it to be as contagious as it's the spike protein that made it so transmissable.

I'm just demonstrating how actual variants are detected through surveilance.

Thought this was a decent summation:

expert comments about two SARS-CoV-2 variants, one in Botswana (B.1.1529) and one in the US (B.1.628) | Science Media Centre

On the B.1.1529 lineage in Botswana:

Prof Francois Balloux, Professor of Computational Systems Biology and Director, UCL Genetics Institute, UCL, said:

ā€œB.1.1529 is a new lineage that has been found in Botswana that carries an unusual constellation of mutations.Ā  Given the large number of mutations it has accumulated apparently in a single burst, it likely evolved during a chronic infection of an immunocompromised person, possibly in an untreated HIV/AIDS patient.

ā€œIt is difficult to know what to make of the carriage of both P681H and N679K.Ā  It is a combination we see only exceptionally rarely.Ā  I suspect it is generally not ā€˜stableā€™, but it might be so, in combination with other mutations/deletions.

ā€œI would definitely expect it to be poorly recognised by neutralising antibodies relative to Alpha or Delta.Ā  It is difficult to predict how transmissible it may be at this stage.

ā€œSo far, four strains have been sequenced in a region of Sub-Saharan with reasonable surveillance in place.Ā  It may be present in other parts of Africa.

ā€œFor the time being, it should be closely monitored and analysed, but there is no reason to get overly concerned, unless it starts going up in frequency in the near future.ā€

Ā 

2 hours ago, phart said:

Yeah all this info is contained in the twitter thread.

I just assume folk read the accompanying info ;)

Ā 

Ā 
I realise that to be honest and was why used 'summation' - seemed to pull everything quite neatly from there into a few easily digestible paragraphs.Ā Ā 
Ā 
You still got a grump on with your lizard code?Ā 
Ā 

6 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Ā 

Ā 
I realise that to be honest and was why used 'summation' - seemed to pull everything quite neatly from there into a few easily digestible paragraphs.Ā Ā 
Ā 
Ā 

i'm just joshing with Orra as over the years we've had discussions about how he can't follow twitter threads too well or doesn't like the format.

Ā 

47 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Ā 

Ā 
Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

38 minutes ago, phart said:

i'm just joshing with Orra as over the years we've had discussions about how he can't follow twitter threads too well or doesn't like the format.

Ā 

Aye, twitter is still like a foreign language to me. Maybe it is a lizard language designed to provide all the information, but in a format that normal humans, like me, can't understand?

Maybe it's designed to find out who is part lizard and who still needs to be converted? In that respect the COVID jags haven't worked on me. So far anyway. I need boosters.

I'm very grateful to you Mr Thistle for providing a summary in plain english.Ā