Coronavirus - Page 343 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

'Most vaccinated' place on earth cancels Christmas

Amid a surge in Covid-19 cases, Gibraltar has canceled official Christmas events and ā€œstronglyā€ discouraged people from hosting private gatherings for four weeks. Gibraltarā€™s entire eligible population is vaccinated.

The government of Gibraltar recently announced that ā€œofficial Christmas parties, official receptions and similar gatheringsā€ have been canceled, and advised the public to avoid social events and parties for the next four weeks. Outdoor spaces are recommended over indoor ones, touching and hugging is discouraged, and mask wearing is advised.

ā€œThe drastic increase in the numbers of people testing positive for Covid-19 in recent days is a stark reminder that the virus is still very prevalent in our community and that it is the responsibility of us all to take every reasonable precaution to protect ourselves and our loved ones,ā€ Health Minister Samantha Sacramento said.Ā 

Gibraltar, a tiny British Overseas Territory sharing a land border with Spain, has seen an average of 56 Covid-19 cases per day over the last seven days, up from fewer than 10 per day in September. The rise in cases, described by the government as ā€œexponential,ā€ comes despite Gibraltar having the highest vaccination rate in the world.

More than 118% of Gibraltarā€™s population are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, with this figure stretching beyond 100% due to doses given to Spaniards who cross the border to work or visit the territory every day. Gibraltarā€™s entire adult population has been fully vaccinated since March, and masks are still required in shops and on public transport.Ā 

Gibraltar is currently doling out booster doses to the over-40s, healthcare workers, and other ā€œvulnerable groups,ā€ and administering vaccines to children aged between five and 12.

Similarly well-vaccinated countries have also reported surges in Covid-19 infections recently. In Singapore, where 94% of the eligible population have been inoculated, cases and deaths soared to record highs at the end of October, and have since subsided slightly. In Ireland, where around 92% of the adult population is fully vaccinated, cases of Covid-19 and deaths from the virus have roughly doubled since August.

--------------

I saw the Czech Republic just had there worst day ever as well. Strange it is coming back worse than before the vaccination programs began. The place in Ireland that was almost completely vaccinated having a record outbreak just recently as well... But yeah your passport will keep you and the people you spread it to safe. Madness.

Now seeing a few articles talking about vaccines every 6 months... more madness.

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Now seeing a few articles talking about vaccines every 6 months... more madness.

If it saves lives, I don't think it's madness.Ā  It would be good if a vaccine that didn't seem to have a half life of a few months could be developed, but if not, regular top ups seems a sensible strategy.Ā  I would like to know why the numbers of cases are apparently increasing, although I suspect it's due to many people now pretty much abandoning any pretence at trying to protect other folk.Ā  Maybe a benign mutation that doesn't really have any noticeable effect on humans will develop and then things should be a bit more normal.

I was curious what was the current situation with the virus in the poultry industry that they used the leaky vaccines on...Marek's Disease.

Here is the wikipedia page on Marek's Disease I don't really rate wikipedia but it is interesting reading...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marek's_disease

Prevention

Vaccination is the only known method to prevent the development of tumors when chickens are infected with the virus. However, administration of the vaccine does not prevent an infected bird from shedding the virus,[3] though it does reduce the amount of virus shed in the dander, hence reducing horizontal spread of the disease. Marek's disease does not spread vertically.

Before the development of the vaccine for Marek's disease, Marek's disease caused substantial revenue loss in the poultry industries of the United States and the United Kingdom. The vaccine can be administered to one-day-old chicks through subcutaneous inoculation or by in ovo vaccination when the eggs are transferred from the incubator to the hatcher. In ovo vaccination is the preferred method, as it does not require handling of the chicks and can be done rapidly by automated methods. Immunity develops within two weeks.[4]

Because vaccination does not prevent infection with the virus, Marek's is still transmissible from vaccinated flocks to other birds, including the wild bird population. The first Marek's disease vaccine was introduced in 1970. The disease would cause mild paralysis, with the only identifiable lesions being in neural tissue. Mortality of chickens infected with Marek's disease was quite low. Current strains of Marek virus, decades after the first vaccine was introduced, cause lymphoma formation throughout the chicken's body and mortality rates have reached 100% in unvaccinated chickens. The Marek's disease vaccine is a "leaky vaccine", which means that only the symptoms of the disease are prevented.[12] Infection of the host and the transmission of the virus are not inhibited by the vaccine. This contrasts with most other vaccines, where infection of the host is prevented. Under normal conditions, highly virulent strains of the virus are not selected. A highly virulent strain would kill the host before the virus would have an opportunity to transmit to other potential hosts and replicate. Thus, less virulent strains are selected. These strains are virulent enough to induce symptoms but not enough to kill the host, allowing further transmission. However, the leaky vaccine changes this evolutionary pressure and permits the evolution of highly virulent strains.[13] The vaccine's inability to prevent infection and transmission allows the spread of highly virulent strains among vaccinated chickens. The fitness of the more virulent strains is increased by the vaccine.

The evolution of Marek's disease due to vaccination has had a profound effect on the poultry industry. All chickens across the globe are now vaccinated against Marek's disease (birds hatched in private flocks for laying or exhibition are rarely vaccinated). Highly virulent strains have been selected to the point that any chicken that is unvaccinated will die if infected.[14] Other leaky vaccines are commonly used in agriculture. One vaccine in particular is the vaccine for avian influenza. Leaky vaccine use for avian influenza can select for virulent strains.[15]

Ā 

...this is where we are heading it looks like. Leaky vaccines can turn a troublesome disease into a truly horrific disease and make you totally dependent on them just to survive. Who benefits from that situation.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

If it saves lives, I don't think it's madness.Ā  It would be good if a vaccine that didn't seem to have a half life of a few months could be developed, but if not, regular top ups seems a sensible strategy.Ā  I would like to know why the numbers of cases are apparently increasing, although I suspect it's due to many people now pretty much abandoning any pretence at trying to protect other folk.Ā  Maybe a benign mutation that doesn't really have any noticeable effect on humans will develop and then things should be a bit more normal.

Because the virus is getting hotter and hotter...

Spanish flu at the end of WWI that killed a lot more people in an unvaccinated world population had mostly fizzled out in less than a year.Ā 

Marek's disease did not fizzle out and coronavirus does not appear to be fizzling out either. I think it is more than legitimate to be concerned about what is going on as these vaccines we are using are very clearly extremely 'leaky'.

What happened in the poultry industry would predict that our virus will get hotter and hotter... without fizzling out... and we will need more and more vaccines... just to survive what was originally a relatively mild disease.

Are we seeing any evidence this is the case here. The vaccines are brand new but they are 'fading'... that is just a sly way of saying the virus is out-evolving the vaccines and is getting hotter. Suddenly we are talking about 3rd boosters... then annual jabs, then six monthly.

This is an arms race we don't want to get in and can't win. Makes some people obscenely wealthy though, possibly the same ones that funded the gain of function research.

Edited by thplinth

The virus is genomically sequenced. If it was getting hotter it would show up in the sequencing.

Where has it shown up?

The cases can be explained with the R number changing and vaccines waning.

Ā 

If there is another reason then there must be evidence for this. All one needs to do is provide the evidence. What is the genetic lineage of the hotter virus? Delta along with it's lineage Ay.4.2. is still the predominant virus showing up in sequencing.

All the sequencing information is found here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1033164/variant-data-update-17.pdf

Ā 

5 hours ago, Alibi said:

Ā  I would like to know why the numbers of cases are apparently increasing, although I suspect it's due to many people now pretty much abandoning any pretence at trying to protect other folk.Ā  Maybe a benign mutation that doesn't really have any noticeable effect on humans will develop and then things should be a bit more normal.

It's because society has almost totally opened up again. Maybe about 50% of folk are still wearing masks indoors but that's about it. As far as I can see most things are pretty much back to normal. It's running rampant through the younger age groups and the authorities don't seem too bothered about it. Which probably makes sense now we can be fairly confident that infection is almost as effective as vaccination.

Ā 

On 7/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, phart said:

I don't think opening up is a doomsday scenario.

Most people are going to get the coronavirus SARS-Covid-19 multiple times in their lifetime now. It'll become endemic.

Fully opening up as cases peak with a new variant with a higher R0 before the vaccination programme is complete just seems daft though, a bit more patience would have been sensible imo. A final push to lower cases(and i mean final) as we finished off vaccinations(we're not even at 50% of the population fully innoculated yet, as we didn't reach 50% 3 weeks ago yet).

Time will tell.

Makes it even worse that the vaccines have waning with regards to infection. Fortunately holding up against more severe outcomes though. A hotter virus would have more severe outcomes which isn't showing up int he figures either.

So not showing up in the sequencing and not showing up in severe outcomes, where is it showing up?

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's because society has almost totally opened up again. Maybe about 50% of folk are still wearing masks indoors but that's about it. As far as I can see most things are pretty much back to normal. It's running rampant through the younger age groups and the authorities don't seem too bothered about it. Which probably makes sense now we can be fairly confident that infection is almost as effective as vaccination.

Ā 

Yeah the majority of cases are in 0-14 and their parents age group.

9 hours ago, phart said:

Even with the waning your annualised risk of being infected is still much lower anyway according to that graph.

I'll be due the booster in January.

I'll be taking it.

I'm off to Berlin next weekend. Hoping that Germany doesn't go into a lock down. I'm worried that Austria might be setting a worrying precedent. I have the COVID passport and sorted the lateral flow tests for our return.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Ā 

I was in Glasgow on Saturday night. Place was heaving, train home I'd say 20% of the train passengers were wearing masks

ā€œThis systematic review and meta analysis suggests that several personal protective and social measures, including handwashing, mask wearing, and physical distancing are associated with reductions in the incidence of Covid-19,ā€ the researchers wrote in The BMJ.

They said the results highlight the need to continue mask wearing, social distancing and handwashing alongside vaccine programmes.

Researchers at Monash University and the University of Edinburgh say multi-faceted measures, such as lockdowns and closures of borders, schools and workplaces need further analysis to assess their potential negative effects on populations.

Public health or non-pharmaceutical interventions are known to be beneficial in fighting respiratory infections like flu, and countries around the world have tried using them to curb the spread of Covid.

However, until now, reviews have not been robust enough to allow experts to make firm conclusions about the effectiveness of such measures in tackling Covid.

Results from more than 30 studies from around the world were analysed in detail, showing a statistically significant 53% reduction in the incidence of Covid with mask wearing and a 25% reduction with physical distancing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/17/wearing-masks-single-most-effective-way-to-tackle-covid-study-finds

Do you think all the Anti-Vaxxers never bought and swallowed pills of unknown origin from dodgy strangers in dark nightclubs in the past or hoovered lines of unknown white powder up their noses? Or never smoked some hash that could have been mixed with anthrax for all they knew?

I have to think yes, otherwise they would be guilty of criminal levels of dishonesty & hypocrisy. So, good on the Anti-Vaxxers - Nancy Reagan's legacy and spirit lives on in them and their fight against the evils of drugs!

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Iā€™d have happily paid a lot more than 150 sheets to a dodgy doctor if I could have found one!

But thanks for cramming me into you shit joke which does not even make sense.Ā šŸ˜€

I'll volunteer to take your booster and not charge you a penny.Ā šŸ‘

Aye ok.

There must be some big money changing hands on the black market thinking about it. It is becoming moot now the passports are a becoming a short term con job that you must keep renewing but if I found a good doctor Iā€™d happily pay quite a bit to keep myself able to travel without taking the jags. Iā€™ll bet the corruption is already rampant. Unfortunately I am out of touch so PM me.Ā šŸ˜€Ā Joking. (not joking shhhhhā€¦)

Ā 

11 hours ago, phart said:

Ā 

Boosters really can save Christmas (and lots of lives) if we get it into all the over 40s / 50s quick smart!

Clarity of thought/communication needed from politicians here to see that this is the most important thing right now, in terms of covid. Yet yesterday the Scottish Government were pretending it's the Vaccine passport that (might) make the difference šŸ˜‚. Dangerous nutters.Ā 

Ā 

Ā