Coronavirus - Page 330 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, phart said:

My mum saying a lot of folk, presumably going to TRNSMT, doing their lateral flow tests and then just leaving the swab etx scattered all over the trains. manky bastards.

Obviously as long as it is negative there is no problem 🙄

Just another example to prove my point about people...😁

On 9/7/2021 at 9:47 AM, phart said:

There's an inherent dishonesty to all this using miners and economists to comment on esoteric immunological/pathology material. If you start vomiting blood do you go "down pit" or the institute of economic affairs, or do you got to the hospital?

😆 Spot on.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Now around half of the total in hospital at the peak in January and we are heading into winter. If people are not scared about what is going to happen in the NHS over winter then I am not sure what planet they are on.

I think cases have peaked pretty much though so if it doesn't creep up we night be "alright"

Have been in Valencia and Madrid the past week. There was 100% adherence to mask wearing anywhere inside,  and even outside well over 50% of people were wearing them.  
On the flights everyone had their masks on except for eating or drinking. Most people kept that to a minimum. 
With the various tests that were required and checks that were done before and after travelling home I was perfectly confident there was a robust system in place .

Regardless of what people personally feel about overseas travel I felt  there was less chance  of me catching covid over there where everyone was outside most of the time, plus I felt safer travelling  about  Spain than in the UK where more and more people are disregarding the few restrictions in place. 

The one risk was that I did catch covid and had to isolate for 10 days there. Granted it would not have been great but I made sure I has sufficient travel insurance to cover extra costs . Everyone has a different attitude to risk/reward. Given the reduced chances of catching covid I chose to go. 

18 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Have been in Valencia and Madrid the past week. There was 100% adherence to mask wearing anywhere inside,  and even outside well over 50% of people were wearing them.  
On the flights everyone had their masks on except for eating or drinking. Most people kept that to a minimum. 
With the various tests that were required and checks that were done before and after travelling home I was perfectly confident there was a robust system in place .

Regardless of what people personally feel about overseas travel I felt  there was less chance  of me catching covid over there where everyone was outside most of the time, plus I felt safer travelling  about  Spain than in the UK where more and more people are disregarding the few restrictions in place. 

The one risk was that I did catch covid and had to isolate for 10 days there. Granted it would not have been great but I made sure I has sufficient travel insurance to cover extra costs . Everyone has a different attitude to risk/reward. Given the reduced chances of catching covid I chose to go. 

That's the thing, everyone has different weights and those weights seem perfectly rational to you. In fact i've noticed within myself the weights shift depending on how much i need to do an acitivity.

I've unfortunately had to attend a couple of funerals very recently and was inside sitting chatting etc which I wouldn't do normally at all.

Same with my gran all my anxiety about covid comes from not wanting to give it to her but where her great grandchild comes into it, she has zero risk aversion giving the choice of seeing her and potentially picking stuff up from a nursery and not seeing her the choice is easy. She's already mid-90's it's a no-brainer for her. However if i were raving inside a nightclub 4 nights a week right now then going to look after her she might not be happy if i gave it to her :D

34 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

So maybe I am being unfair and it is just people in the UK that can't adapt and are selfish and unthinking of others, rather than the entire human race. 

13 minutes ago, phart said:

That's the thing, everyone has different weights and those weights seem perfectly rational to you. In fact i've noticed within myself the weights shift depending on how much i need to do an acitivity.

I've unfortunately had to attend a couple of funerals very recently and was inside sitting chatting etc which I wouldn't do normally at all.

Same with my gran all my anxiety about covid comes from not wanting to give it to her but where her great grandchild comes into it, she has zero risk aversion giving the choice of seeing her and potentially picking stuff up from a nursery and not seeing her the choice is easy. She's already mid-90's it's a no-brainer for her. However if i were raving inside a nightclub 4 nights a week right now then going to look after her she might not be happy if i gave it to her :D

I think the risk/ reward is veering a little more towards ‘risk ‘ due to the length of time this has gone on and peoples desire for something that has been inaccessible for over 18 months, and also the feeling of added protection from the vaccinations. But it doesn’t need to be stupid risk, for example I would never consider travelling to somewhere that was on the red list or a country whose cases were rising significantly .

Your gran will know that in her mid 90’s she will have a limited time in which to see her family , hopefully a good number of years yet as she seems to be a healthy lady despite her sherbet lemon addiction 😊 But young kids bring a happiness to elderly people in particular , and I totally understand why she will disregard the risks involved as the enjoyment she gets will far outweigh the chances of catching it. In fact the lift she gets from seeing her great grand daughter could actually improve her health. 
My niece and her boyfriend are coming over from Jersey to stay next weekend thrn  going up north for a few days. They had considered going to the festival in Rouken Glen park but when they leave Scotland they are travelling to the south of England to celebrate her boyfriends grandads 91st birthday. They have binned the festival as they have decided they will not  mix in large crowds as it will increase the risk of catching covid and passing it onto the grandad. Its a case of just trying to balance a degree of life quality against the risk.  

28 minutes ago, Lamia said:

So maybe I am being unfair and it is just people in the UK that can't adapt and are selfish and unthinking of others, rather than the entire human race. 

I cant speak for other countries or even other parts of Spain but I was really impressed by the people in both those cities and wonder why it is so difficult for some people here to adhere to fairly simple  restrictions. 

Anecdotal but speaking to someone yesterday who is currently stuck in isolation for 10 days after testing positive. His wife caught it first and had to isolate at home. The rest of them in the house all caught a few days after that including their quite young kids. Both the adults had been fully vaccinated and a good while ago now. 

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Anecdotal but speaking to someone yesterday who is currently stuck in isolation for 10 days after testing positive. His wife caught it first and had to isolate at home. The rest of them in the house all caught a few days after that including their quite young kids. Both the adults had been fully vaccinated and a good while ago now. 

Not sure what point you are trying to prove. This isn''t news we all know it happens. 

Have just seen this graph showing the UK death rate twice that of EU countries. This kind of thing never seems to be reported in the mainstream TV & radio news, such as BBC/Scotland, despite it  being the context for introducing measures such as vaccine passports.

E_Fs4ihWQAMHAMl.thumb.jpg.474b1d6ce3f3a1946125561b2becb659.jpg

Edited by exile

Has anybody seen anything in the news about them adjusting the existing vaccines to be more effective against the prevalent delta variant?

I've not seen anything about this and that strikes me as being slightly odd given that it has been the dominant strain worldwide for several months now

On 9/11/2021 at 11:40 AM, Lamia said:

In this, I really 100% agree with you. It depresses the hell out of me. With the stories of discarded tests on trains, my own experience of viewing discarded masks everywhere, it confirms the mankiness and inconsiderate nature of people in general. And the lack of adherence to mask wearing is even worse. It just confirms people don’t give a fuck for other people. Takes all I’ve got on the school run to not say anything to those who continually flout the regulations requested by the school.

1 hour ago, tartandon said:

Has anybody seen anything in the news about them adjusting the existing vaccines to be more effective against the prevalent delta variant?

I've not seen anything about this and that strikes me as being slightly odd given that it has been the dominant strain worldwide for several months now

The real world data seems to show there isn't much difference in effectiveness at all for the vaccines versus Alpha and Delta.

I've read there is some work going on regarding a specific delta variant vaccine mind you.

13 hours ago, duncan II said:

In this, I really 100% agree with you. It depresses the hell out of me. With the stories of discarded tests on trains, my own experience of viewing discarded masks everywhere.

My mum is a cleaner for scotrail, all the swabs etc are discarded all over the carriages. She's had to work all through the pandemic. I'm sure every cleaner can attest to how manky a subset of society are.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬. So driving my WIFE to the hospital today for day surgery... It gets cancelled because of a protest outside the Hospital be the "anti vaccine brigade'. I went fuckin pure Tonto. My wife had to restrain me from smackin every cunt protesting.. Even the Police got involved !!! How fuckin dare these parasites interfere with my wife surgery because they dont want vaccination.. Fuck off ya cnuts!!!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬