Coronavirus - Page 313 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

The percentage of Canadians who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 has for the first time surpassed the United States.

70c8fc8070c8fc80As of the afternoon of July 17, Canada had vaccinated 48.64 per cent of the population with two doses, according to COVID Tracker Canada. By comparison, 48.4 per cent of the American population were fully vaccinated, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported.

This comes less than two months after Canada eclipsed its southern neighbour in terms of single-dose coverage.

The vaccination gap between the two countries started slowly narrowing as Canada began ramping up its distribution in May. The supply of doses is now on the verge of outstripping demand, according to government officials.

Meanwhile, cases of COVID-19 have tripled over the past three weeks in the U.S., and hospitalizations and deaths are rising among unvaccinated people.

4 hours ago, phart said:

It's totally realistic, injection + infection will eventually create a threshold.

Eventually it will become endemic and people will catch it multiple times throughout their lifetime each time becoming weaker.

Impatience and selfishness means a lot more people will die or have long-term health issues to reach that point but it will be reached eventually.

Infection yes.......

10 hours ago, Lamia said:

Getting enough people fully vaccinated to the extent that we are able to get out of this

There is one way to ensure that we get enough people vaccinated - we make vaccination a condition of going into any public space. 

You cant go into a workplace, shop, public transport or attend any event if you havent had both jags. 

That would soon ensure that the conspiracy theorists and selfish aresholes who dont want to get the jags would have a big decision to make - hold firm to their beliefs or get the jag.

For people who genuinely cant get the jag due to medical reason, they could be given an exemption.

I'm surprised the Tories havent suggested this yet. It would allow them to roll out another 'world leading' tracking system. And I'm sure the contract would be transparently awarded to a Tory party donor.

26 minutes ago, tartandon said:

There is one way to ensure that we get enough people vaccinated - we make vaccination a condition of going into any public space. 

You cant go into a workplace, shop, public transport or attend any event if you havent had both jags. 

That would soon ensure that the conspiracy theorists and selfish aresholes who dont want to get the jags would have a big decision to make - hold firm to their beliefs or get the jag.

For people who genuinely cant get the jag due to medical reason, they could be given an exemption.

I'm surprised the Tories havent suggested this yet. It would allow them to roll out another 'world leading' tracking system. And I'm sure the contract would be transparently awarded to a Tory party donor.

There is no need to make vaccinations compulsory. 

1 hour ago, tartandon said:

You cant go into a workplace, shop, public transport or attend any event if you havent had both jags

Well they'll just work from home, which is probably what they want any and most likely want they have been doing for the last 15 or so months! 

2 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

I’ve certainly not heard many folk desperately wanting to rush back to the office

The majority of people I speak to really do want to go back even if its just part of the week.

5 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

I’ve certainly not heard many folk desperately wanting to rush back to the office

Yup, our offices have been downsized as our lease was up in December. 

Now got an office about 30% the size of the old one. 

Suits me as i want to buy a house in Ayrshire and will save me £2,500+ a year in travel. 

When the French said you'd need to be vaccinated to go into a coffee shop, nearly a million people registered for a vaccination the next day. 

Do that with pubs here and you'd have a similar effect

2 hours ago, biffer said:

When the French said you'd need to be vaccinated to go into a coffee shop, nearly a million people registered for a vaccination the next day. 

Do that with pubs here and you'd have a similar effect

Did you see the graph before and after that announcement was crazy the difference!

My daughters boyfriend has just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last week. He lost a lot of weight recently and blood tests confirmed it was diabetes.

It is not really known what causes Type 1 diabetes , but the doctors told him it was likely a viral infection that triggered it. 
At the very start of covid he was unwell but never got any tests. I was wondering if he did infact have covid and this has caused it. 
I know the chances are it could be anything that has led to this, but I did look to see if covid was in anyway connected to diabetes.

I was pretty surprised to read this article from diabetes UK. Am I correct when I am reading that from a study of 47,000 people in England who had contracted covid before Aug 20, 5% of them have gone on to be diagnosed with diabetes ? Is that not extremely high?

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/new-worse-cases-coronavirus

20 hours ago, tartandon said:

Looks like nightclubs are being used as the carrot for young people . 

I see the JCVI have approved vaccination of 12-17 year olds if they are in an at-risk group, or live in the same household as somebody in an at-risk group.

Yet they have also said that they are not recommending that all 12-17 year olds gets vaccinated because they need to review the data on the vaccine effect on younger people.  If this is true, does this not mean that they are effectively treating the at-risk group as guinea pigs?

My theory is that they will announce in 4-5 weeks time that they recommend that all 12-17 year olds should get vaccinated, purely coincidentally coinciding with the next big scheduled delivery of the Pfizer vaccine. 

Why arent they being more transparent about the fact that the supply constraints are driving policy decisions?

They could easily have said that they were going to do the 12-17 year olds in 2 batches, with the at-risk group first, followed by the rest of the youngsters 4 weeks later.

3 minutes ago, tartandon said:

I see the JCVI have approved vaccination of 12-17 year olds if they are in an at-risk group, or live in the same household as somebody in an at-risk group.

Yet they have also said that they are not recommending that all 12-17 year olds gets vaccinated because they need to review the data on the vaccine effect on younger people.  If this is true, does this not mean that they are effectively treating the at-risk group as guinea pigs?

My theory is that they will announce in 4-5 weeks time that they recommend that all 12-17 year olds should get vaccinated, purely coincidentally coinciding with the next big scheduled delivery of the Pfizer vaccine. 

Why arent they being more transparent about the fact that the supply constraints are driving policy decisions?

They could easily have said that they were going to do the 12-17 year olds in 2 batches, with the at-risk group first, followed by the rest of the youngsters 4 weeks later.

Because this government is incapable of being honest about anything.

Interesting that Johnston is saying vacination proof required by end of September for crowded areas .

Would imagine will include matches as well.

Hopefully that kicks our own Scottish government in action, and even a proper vacination app and not the Mickey Mouse letter , which the Scottish government have just now .

14 minutes ago, Lamia said:

2483 first doses yesterday 😳

dwindling demand in the younger cohort

The lower the uptake in the younger population, the greater chance of mandatory vaccine passports for entry to spaces like nightclubs that the youngsters are more likely to attend.

31 minutes ago, tartandon said:

dwindling demand in the younger cohort

The lower the uptake in the younger population, the greater chance of mandatory vaccine passports for entry to spaces like nightclubs that the youngsters are more likely to attend.

But that surely better before they they spread it like wildfire in the autumn as uni goes back although we have the same scenario with schools sooner 

On 7/19/2021 at 7:34 PM, TDYER63 said:

My daughters boyfriend has just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last week. He lost a lot of weight recently and blood tests confirmed it was diabetes.

It is not really known what causes Type 1 diabetes , but the doctors told him it was likely a viral infection that triggered it. 
At the very start of covid he was unwell but never got any tests. I was wondering if he did infact have covid and this has caused it. 
I know the chances are it could be anything that has led to this, but I did look to see if covid was in anyway connected to diabetes.

I was pretty surprised to read this article from diabetes UK. Am I correct when I am reading that from a study of 47,000 people in England who had contracted covid before Aug 20, 5% of them have gone on to be diagnosed with diabetes ? Is that not extremely high?

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/new-worse-cases-coronavirus

A customer of mine and her son both had covid last year and now both have type 1 diabetes.

It might be a coincidence it might not. She's Polish and had to go back to Poland to find out what was wrong with them as no one at the doctors surgery here would see them.

23 minutes ago, chaff said:

A customer of mine and her son both had covid last year and now both have type 1 diabetes.

It might be a coincidence it might not. She's Polish and had to go back to Poland to find out what was wrong with them as no one at the doctors surgery here would see them.

That is pretty shit they weren’t seen by a doctor. It can be a very serious condition if not diagnosed and treated quickly. 

As you say, it may be a coincidence maybe not. My daughter’s boyfriend is only 30 and   very slim and healthy. Infact, it is so long since he last needed to see a doctor he had to sign up to a surgery in order to get his covid vaccination,  which he got about 2-3 months ago. He hasnt been to a doctors in about 15 years. 
It will be interesting, in time,  to see if there are any direct links to diabetes from covid. 

It does seem to be a lot higher than it should if you just do a direct compairson with the general populations prevalence. I've no idea about all the other confounding variables though so I have no idea what the story is.

I went the shopping for my gran yesterday and it was mobbed, folk just walking about browsing shit which i'd never really seen before. Some dude walking about with no mask on and this huge gaudy lanyard which i assume was his I can't wear a mask badge thing which is fair enough. He was however in front of me at the kosk bit and bought 40 fags, which had me wondering what conditon can one have that it's alright to smoke fags but gives you a medical exemption against a mask. I suppose i could have asked him.

3 hours ago, phart said:

I went the shopping for my gran yesterday and it was mobbed, folk just walking about browsing shit which i'd never really seen before. Some dude walking about with no mask on and this huge gaudy lanyard which i assume was his I can't wear a mask badge thing which is fair enough. He was however in front of me at the kosk bit and bought 40 fags, which had me wondering what conditon can one have that it's alright to smoke fags but gives you a medical exemption against a mask. I suppose i could have asked him.

Too funny.

Enjoyed being back at the football last night, saw a lot of folk i've not seen for well over a year.

Hopefully get a 5000+ capacity allowed when we play Ayr a week on monday. Shame, as there would have been 11-12,000+ at that easy with no restrictions. 

Game when we play them at New Year will have a massive crowd at RP. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper