Coronavirus - Page 312 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

In the hospitality business and had our first evening function recently (wedding reception). People followed the rules, hour or so later staff continuously saying to them about rules, a bit after that told staff not to keep reminding them anymore as customers felt they were just being antagonised, you could anticipate the problems developing and the abuse staff were receiving was getting too much. I've had to return even more deposits for birthday party's which still aren't allowed in level zero but it's probably the correct decision by the government. Add alcohol to celebratory situations and it becomes impossible keep to the rules. I wonder if this is in the mind of the decision makers an why they're being so restrictive on attendances now large number of fixtures are taking place. Who knows. 

London for a couple of days, then Bognor Regis for a week with a couple of day trips to Brighton and Southampton.

The track and trace have certainly got their work cut out.

Edited by mwng
Answer to where’s the pies

1 hour ago, phart said:

Hope you're both OK. The vaccine a lot better at stopping hospitalisation!

I got 2nd jab about 6 weeks ago as well. I've still not went inside anywhere bar supermarket twice a week. I have been swithering about going to the gym as my subscription has started up again I know this is just one data point but makes me wary.

Thanks. My wife still feels shit but she’s out her bed. I’ve no symptoms so hopefully the vaccines are doing their stuff.

I was at Croatia game and in the pub for the other two. 
I think having had the double jag I maybe (wrongly) thought I was bulletproof.

Im self-employed so the two weeks of work isn’t ideal, but at least the suns out.

3 hours ago, phart said:

Hope you're both OK. The vaccine a lot better at stopping hospitalisation!

I got 2nd jab about 6 weeks ago as well. I've still not went inside anywhere bar supermarket twice a week. I have been swithering about going to the gym as my subscription has started up again I know this is just one data point but makes me wary.

I am the same as you. I haven't been inside anywhere apart form the Post Office which freaked me out because no one was social distancing and I fell out with a woman just because I asked her kids to move back the the allocated dot on the floor!

I need to know that there is decent ventilation indoors any that is something that is very hard to be sure of.

20 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Your theory doesn’t explain why are rates our worse than England though who also have people flying in from all over the world 

Our rates are better than England now

6 hours ago, Och Aye said:

In the hospitality business and had our first evening function recently (wedding reception). People followed the rules, hour or so later staff continuously saying to them about rules, a bit after that told staff not to keep reminding them anymore as customers felt they were just being antagonised, you could anticipate the problems developing and the abuse staff were receiving was getting too much. I've had to return even more deposits for birthday party's which still aren't allowed in level zero but it's probably the correct decision by the government. Add alcohol to celebratory situations and it becomes impossible keep to the rules. I wonder if this is in the mind of the decision makers an why they're being so restrictive on attendances now large number of fixtures are taking place. Who knows. 

Sounds about right.  

For all people complain about restrictions and we get a constant cycle of hospitality, bars, restaurants, etc. all saying how safe they are and how bad the govt restrictions are - the simple truth is that when you add alcohol into the mix, people simply can’t be trusted. I include myself in that criticism.  

Folk might be over it but England just recorded the most cases they've had since January 15th. We're slopping downwards now thankfully, but with a change in rules incoming and the subsequent change in behaviours we'll see what happens.

Loads of ICU staff really at their wits end as well. Hospitalisations doubling every 12 days atm. So only two doublings away from peak at start of year.

Age profile much younger i've seen anecdotally. Vaccines have reduced percentage of hospitlaisations but a smaller percentage of a large number can still be a large number. Barely 50% of population is fully vaxxed anyway.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Alcohol won’t help obviously but even sober, at the shops etc social distancing just isn’t observed very well, at least from what I’ve seen and that includes hospital wards. 

Maybe compliance was better previously  and people are just over it now? 

I think compliance was better previously and folk are over it now. 

In terms of distancing -  folk hanging over each other in the pubs is a million times worse than folk not respecting other shopper’s personal space IMO. It’s a shame for hospitality industry but ultimately the punters can’t be trusted to follow the rules in those settings as the previous poster explained from the event mentioned. 

23 hours ago, phart said:

Folk might be over it but England just recorded the most cases they've had since January 15th. We're slopping downwards now thankfully, but with a change in rules incoming and the subsequent change in behaviours we'll see what happens.

Loads of ICU staff really at their wits end as well. Hospitalisations doubling every 12 days atm. So only two doublings away from peak at start of year.

Age profile much younger i've seen anecdotally. Vaccines have reduced percentage of hospitlaisations but a smaller percentage of a large number can still be a large number. Barely 50% of population is fully vaxxed anyway.

Just because younger people don't die in such great numbers......

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/acute-covid-spreading-young-people-24539633

On 7/14/2021 at 12:02 AM, mwng said:

Just got back from the South of England yesterday and me and my missus have both tested positive today. We both had our second jag 6 weeks ago. She’s in bed with flu symptoms and no taste. I’m feeling ok, for now anyway.

We were pretty strict with the mask/ social distancing/sanitising rules. Because we were double jabbed we thought it would be safe to go away. Beginning to regret that decision now.

sorry to hear that.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Out of curiosity, which vaccine did both of you get?

11 hours ago, tartandon said:

sorry to hear that.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Out of curiosity, which vaccine did both of you get?

We both had AstraZeneca. Second jag was around the end of May.

I’ve had no symptoms at all. My wife’s fever has gone but she still has no taste or smell.

59 minutes ago, mwng said:

We both had AstraZeneca. Second jag was around the end of May.

I’ve had no symptoms at all. My wife’s fever has gone but she still has no taste or smell.

Glad she is on the mend, seems like the jags have done their job. I got my 2nd one may 29th i think.

If it's outside it seems a lot less of a problem it's sustained contact inside with a lot of shouting and poor ventillation that is the main driver of spreader events, or it was with Wuhan version, no idea with the new delta variant.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:40 PM, Lamia said:

I am the same as you. I haven't been inside anywhere apart form the Post Office which freaked me out because no one was social distancing and I fell out with a woman just because I asked her kids to move back the the allocated dot on the floor!

I need to know that there is decent ventilation indoors any that is something that is very hard to be sure of.

Everyone's different. Some have been  at work every day and some haven't. I have and maybe now have become a bit less sensitive to the risks. I am making the choice to go abroad next week but not taking my son as he is not vaccinated.  Everyone will take their own view on what is right or wrong for them but but the world has to move on.

18 hours ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

Everyone's different. Some have been  at work every day and some haven't. I have and maybe now have become a bit less sensitive to the risks. I am making the choice to go abroad next week but not taking my son as he is not vaccinated.  Everyone will take their own view on what is right or wrong for them but but the world has to move on.

I know that and I also know that people who have gone to work every day are definitely less sensitive because you would have to be. Going to work is one thing though because you don't really have a choice. I just can't bring myself to do something that is not actually necessary and I also think of the wider impact of my actions and so couldn't go on holiday abroad for the combination of both of those reasons.

I most certainly won't be surprised if the actions of people in the UK doesn't end up risking the entire world just because we want to throw caution to the wind and forget about the numbers and in doing so disregard the impact on the potential of creating a vaccine resistant variant. The UK of course isn't the only country that doesn't seem to care about that so we might end up not being the ones that are responsible if it happens. Time will tell I suppose.

Having said all that having my outlook is very bleak because I see no way out. If we don't start living our lives again what is the point and of course there is the impact on the economy, but if we do I see staff off work in large numbers because they are ill or staff off long term sick after catching it which will also impact on the economy and I also see the NHS caving completely. Anyone needing any treatment for conditions other that Covid will need to sing for it! I thought the vaccine was the way out and now I simply don't know what the way out actually is.

1 hour ago, phart said:

vaccine is the way out, we just need more of them, with non 100% effectiveness and only 50% of folk fully vaccinated anyway there's still a pool of tens of millions of folk that can still catch it.

I don't think that is a realistic prospect though!

46 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Getting enough people fully vaccinated to the extent that we are able to get out of this

It's totally realistic, injection + infection will eventually create a threshold.

Eventually it will become endemic and people will catch it multiple times throughout their lifetime each time becoming weaker.

Impatience and selfishness means a lot more people will die or have long-term health issues to reach that point but it will be reached eventually.