Coronavirus - Page 310 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

2000 fans allowed at lesgue cup games. Motherwell just announced. 

Surprise surprise Sturgeon back to hating football fans.

Making sure her favourite team can accommodate their maximum potential attendance. Be funny if her dad was 2001st in the queue at the ramshackle turnstiles. ( Yes, I know that spoils my original jibe 😠).

11 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Making sure her favourite team can accommodate their maximum potential attendance. Be funny if her dad was 2001st in the queue at the ramshackle turnstiles. ( Yes, I know that spoils my original jibe 😠).

We'll be only team they get more than 2000 home fans again this season. 

@Lamiais spot on with her analysis.  There is a marked change in approach from the First Minister now that she has won the election.

All the way through the election campaign, the First Minister was trumpeting the fact that she had been doing daily briefing since the start of the pandemic. She trumpeted this as a reason for people to vote for her in the election. As soon as she got re-elected, she is down to doing one a week at most. Given that the case numbers are higher than at any point, I'm disgusted by this.

I understand that not everybody may have tuned in. But having a daily briefing guaranteed that it was the first story on the tv news bulletins, and invariably meant that something from the briefing was on the front page of the newspapers. Without the daily briefings, that is not happening any more. This then serves to erode public compliance as there is less focus on the pandemic and the rules within the various media outlets.

Before the election, the line was that we were aiming for zero covid. Since the election its now about 'manageable levels' of hospitalisations, long-terms health impacts and deaths.

Before the election, we heard about how we needed travel restrictions north of the border in order to protect the population. Since the election, we have just accepted and followed the UK policies. It was obvious that travel to India was a danger, but we just followed along allowing travellers from there for weeks because the Prime Minister was trying to do a trade deal.

Before the election there was pressure on the UK government to extend furlough and other support schemes. Since the election it has gone very quiet despite the fact that we are only a few weeks away from the end of furlough. We are facing a massive rise in unemployment in coming weeks.

Another worry is that although there are supply issues with the Pfizer vaccine, with the next delivery not due until the end of August, I actually dont think there is sufficient demand amongst the younger demographic to get them all vaccinated.

There have been drop-in clinics available all over the country for all ages since last week. Yet the vaccination numbers are falling day-on-day. If the youngsters were eager to get the vaccination, wouldn't we be seeing the drop-in centres crowded? Instead, we have photos of empty vaccination centres, with people not bothering to turn up for appointments, never mind attend as a drop-in.

I wonder how much of the supply has been wasted in recent weeks due to poor attendance.

I fear that the youngsters aren't concerned with getting the vaccine and we are going to be faced with a situation where the vaccine will spread widely amongst them, leading to newer strains which reduce the efficacy of the vaccines. 

The hypocrisy of the First Minister and the Scottish Government stinks.

This will also have an impact on the support for independence. An undecided voter may have been impressed with the First Minister's performance before the election but it is blatantly obvious that she is less concerned now. Any 'soft yes' voter looking at this may question whether the First Minister can now be trusted given that she clearly doesn't care about the worrying rise in numbers.

31 minutes ago, tartandon said:

@Lamiais spot on with her analysis.  There is a marked change in approach from the First Minister now that she has won the election.

All the way through the election campaign, the First Minister was trumpeting the fact that she had been doing daily briefing since the start of the pandemic. She trumpeted this as a reason for people to vote for her in the election. As soon as she got re-elected, she is down to doing one a week at most. Given that the case numbers are higher than at any point, I'm disgusted by this.

I understand that not everybody may have tuned in. But having a daily briefing guaranteed that it was the first story on the tv news bulletins, and invariably meant that something from the briefing was on the front page of the newspapers. Without the daily briefings, that is not happening any more. This then serves to erode public compliance as there is less focus on the pandemic and the rules within the various media outlets.

Before the election, the line was that we were aiming for zero covid. Since the election its now about 'manageable levels' of hospitalisations, long-terms health impacts and deaths.

Before the election, we heard about how we needed travel restrictions north of the border in order to protect the population. Since the election, we have just accepted and followed the UK policies. It was obvious that travel to India was a danger, but we just followed along allowing travellers from there for weeks because the Prime Minister was trying to do a trade deal.

Before the election there was pressure on the UK government to extend furlough and other support schemes. Since the election it has gone very quiet despite the fact that we are only a few weeks away from the end of furlough. We are facing a massive rise in unemployment in coming weeks.

Another worry is that although there are supply issues with the Pfizer vaccine, with the next delivery not due until the end of August, I actually dont think there is sufficient demand amongst the younger demographic to get them all vaccinated.

There have been drop-in clinics available all over the country for all ages since last week. Yet the vaccination numbers are falling day-on-day. If the youngsters were eager to get the vaccination, wouldn't we be seeing the drop-in centres crowded? Instead, we have photos of empty vaccination centres, with people not bothering to turn up for appointments, never mind attend as a drop-in.

I wonder how much of the supply has been wasted in recent weeks due to poor attendance.

I fear that the youngsters aren't concerned with getting the vaccine and we are going to be faced with a situation where the vaccine will spread widely amongst them, leading to newer strains which reduce the efficacy of the vaccines. 

This will also have an impact on the support for independence. An undecided voter may have been impressed with the First Minister's performance before the election but it is blatantly obvious that she is less concerned now. Any 'soft yes' voter looking at this may question whether the First Minister can now be trusted given that she clearly doesn't care about the worrying rise in numbers.

62% of 18-29 already have had their 1st dose. 19% of them have had their second dose. 

I would expect that to hit a minimum 75% which I think is a good return for a demographic that are relatively safe. Obviously campaigns should continually be used to encourage uptake. Hospitality, events and travel will help a fair bit as well. 

12 hours ago, tartandon said:

I doubt the young demographic that you are concerned about watch the news or read newspapers so I dont think reduced briefings will have much impact, and as Alfie Moon says the numbers are fine anyway. 
With regards to furlough, the FM has to balance the economy as well as health. When vaccinations are well under way, and expected to be further still by September, she can hardly keep pushing for furlough to be extended. You need to be realistic . Unemployment was always going to be a massive problem when furlough ends, whether it is this September or next September. 

20 hours ago, tartandon said:

I'm a 'hard yes' voter and Sturgeon is a disgrace. There is no chance she will oversee a successful independence campaign. Her and her cronies are happy ticking along. Pathetic 

5 hours ago, Lamia said:

This will be interesting. 🤔 I predict this will be rejected and the Council will blame the Scottish Gov! 

https://www.afc.co.uk/2021/07/09/return-of-fans-update/?fbclid=IwAR3n1IjK10dN0S5IP87QhhDeLk22yVBATueAx5ODJthicS4zB5IXz5-qvWA

Quite right to blame the Scot Gov. It's their  stupid rigid rules that  cause fhid.

600 at Kelty Hearts tonight but Aberdeen, Killie, Celtic efc are restricted to 2000? Utter lunacy. 

There is fuck all science involved and lots of bad governance from the ScotGov.

5 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

I'm a 'hard yes' voter and Sturgeon is a disgrace. There is no chance she will oversee a successful independence campaign. Her and her cronies are happy ticking along. Pathetic 

Starting to think that myself

Their record in power in appalling on education, drugs deaths etc. 

All bluster in run up to elections but very little substance thereafter.  Unfortunately the opposition are just as bad. 

Sturgeon talks a good game. Time she started delivering.  More interested in grievance politics as it covers up her failings.

9 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Starting to think that myself

Their record in power in appalling on education, drugs deaths etc. 

All bluster in run up to elections but very little substance thereafter.  Unfortunately the opposition are just as bad. 

Sturgeon talks a good game. Time she started delivering.  More interested in grievance politics as it covers up her failings.

Agreed.

Sturgeon should stick yer man Thplinth in her team to get her telt and freshen things up. Ying and Yang

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Quite right to blame the Scot Gov. It's their  stupid rigid rules that  cause fhid.

If it is their fault then yes but I predict that what ever the reason they will make it their fault.

Does anyone seriously think we will have reasonable crowds at Scottish football this season . I do not and this will now have stretched across a third season. 

Where do we stand with uefa tournaments high risk of games being moved again I assume.

I see NHS staff getting abused cause folk now want their second vaccine early cause they wnt to go on holiday.

The pandemic has really opened my eyes to how prevalent the "me, me , me i want , i want" attitude/philosophy is.

37 minutes ago, phart said:

I see NHS staff getting abused cause folk now want their second vaccine early cause they wnt to go on holiday.

The pandemic has really opened my eyes to how prevalent the "me, me , me i want , i want" attitude/philosophy is.

This attitude has been getting worse and worse. I'm only 38 but the sense of entitlement people have these days is crazy. Could be holidays, cars, vaccines. People think they deserve whatever it is first.

36 minutes ago, phart said:

Another incredibly stupid decision. Apart from the fact younger people are being discriminated against, after all its not their fault they are last in line for vaccinations, it inevitably leads to this situation as people ARE selfish and also weary. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Another incredibly stupid decision. Apart from the fact younger people are being discriminated against, after all its not their fault they are last in line for vaccinations, it inevitably leads to this situation as people ARE selfish and also weary. 

Is it discrimination though? You have a finite supply of something, should it then be distributed by some sort of lottery system and allow chance to decide who get's it otherwise you're discriminating against someone based on their risk of fatality rating which has a causal relationship with age if everything else is equal.

While elsewhere there's folk dying in their hundreds of thousands elsewhere for lack of a vaccine and they really were last in line for a vaccine and it's their lives they're forfeiting not their ability to go on holiday. Hard to find any synpathy for the folk abusing the NHS staff who are just administrating the vaccine programme and not making decisions etc. It's small mindedness in action can't see past their own tiny wants.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Sometimes life isn't fair and you just have to suck it up. There are lots of things I want to do but can't for various reasons which are not my fault, it's just life.

Some people are selfish, not everyone is.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

If any group are entitled to claim they are discriminated against it is residents of Care Homes. They were imprisioned and many continue to be unable to see relatives and friends for over a year, so not being able to go abroad for two weeks is hardly an imposition.  

16 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

600 at Kelty Hearts tonight but Aberdeen, Killie, Celtic efc are restricted to 2000? Utter lunacy. 

There is fuck all science involved and lots of bad governance from the ScotGov.

To be fair given the impact of one football match on our Covid rates maybe there should be another behind closed doors season.

6 hours ago, phart said:

Is it discrimination though? You have a finite supply of something, should it then be distributed by some sort of lottery system and allow chance to decide who get's it otherwise you're discriminating against someone based on their risk of fatality rating which has a causal relationship with age if everything else is equal.

While elsewhere there's folk dying in their hundreds of thousands elsewhere for lack of a vaccine and they really were last in line for a vaccine and it's their lives they're forfeiting not their ability to go on holiday. Hard to find any synpathy for the folk abusing the NHS staff who are just administrating the vaccine programme and not making decisions etc. It's small mindedness in action can't see past their own tiny wants.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who are abusing NHS staff , and I feel the same as you about the ‘me , me ‘ me ‘ attitude. But holidays abroad are a luxury in a pandemic and i dont think anyone should be given the privilege of ‘no isolation on return’ just because they are older and had 2 jags , before everyone else. I say that as one of the people in that position. IMO all overseas holidays should have the same isolation rules till everyone has been double vaccinated. 
The wealthiest countries have an enough vaccine to assist those without , its just another version of  me , me , me at a higher level. 

5 hours ago, Lamia said:

Sometimes life isn't fair and you just have to suck it up. There are lots of things I want to do but can't for various reasons which are not my fault, it's just life.

Some people are selfish, not everyone is.

I am not saying EVERYONE is selfish , I am just saying that , as humans, people are selfish.  

5 hours ago, Lamia said:

If any group are entitled to claim they are discriminated against it is residents of Care Homes. They were imprisioned and many continue to be unable to see relatives and friends for over a year, so not being able to go abroad for two weeks is hardly an imposition.  

I am not saying that younger people are the only ones entitled to be pissed off . Of course residents of Care homes and their relatives  should be pissed off.

I am  saying that this decision, to allow people who have been twice vaccinated to receive preferential treatment  ,  is (another) wrong decision.  
What did the government think would happen, in a situation where people are desperate for normality and fed up, by suggesting people who have had 2 vaccinations would be allowed to travel with less restrictions than those without ?  

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who are abusing NHS staff , and I feel the same as you about the ‘me , me ‘ me ‘ attitude. But holidays abroad are a luxury in a pandemic and i dont think anyone should be given the privilege of ‘no isolation on return’ just because they are older and had 2 jags , before everyone else. I say that as one of the people in that position. IMO all overseas holidays should have the same isolation rules till everyone has been double vaccinated. 
The wealthiest countries have an enough vaccine to assist those without , its just another version of  me , me , me at a higher level. 

I assume the government is trying to through the holiday/aviation industry a lifeline. If double vaccinations is the way forward it make no sense to punish these industries further by continuing to restrict everyone. It is a pragmatic approach.

Personally though I wouldn't be opening up holiday travel until more of the world is vaccinated but I am not bothered one jot about fairness. Foreign holidays are not some sort of human right.