Coronavirus - Page 304 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

On 6/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, Freeedom said:

I think we are going to have a big spike in cases over the next month as Football fans coming back from London help spread the disease.

Speaking of which, what a fucking plonker Gilmour is. He was interacting with family who had travelled down from Scotland to see him play against England, I cant believe the total lack of professionalism that we allowed this to happen. What a global embarrassment to Scotland.

Gies peace.

14 hours ago, chaff said:

really interesting read this thread.

I don't watch or read the news, I deleted facebook last year and have been banned from twitter. I had no idea that we were still in such a mess with this. I just presumed that with the vaccine roll out that things would be getting better.

I haven't been in a pub, restaurant or cafe since a year past march. I haven't been in Glasgow city centre since the same time and not even visited EK shopping centre since November.

In my roll as a gardener the majority of my clients are elderly, the consensus amongst the vast majority of them is now that they have had the 2nd jag they are immune and are all out at lunches with friends. I've been told on numerous occasions that once I've had my 2nd jag I'll feel a lot safer.

I'm not so sure.

I don't feel any safer. I am trying to convince myself I am though because I will never feel safe again if I can't. 

1 minute ago, Lamia said:

I don't feel any safer. I am trying to convince myself I am though because I will never feel safe again if I can't. 

We're kind of feeling the same way Susan.

Me and meesh keep saying once I get my second jag, she's already had hers, that we'll be ready to go out again but I've a wee niggle in the back of my head.

Don't even start me on going back to parkrun

Just now, chaff said:

We're kind of feeling the same way Susan.

Me and meesh keep saying once I get my second jag, she's already had hers, that we'll be ready to go out again but I've a wee niggle in the back of my head.

Don't even start me on going back to parkrun

I thought I would feel I could start doing things again but I just don't so I am quite deflated. I really miss parkrun but there is no way I could do that. I also think it is really unfair to other people who use these spaces. They have been total arseholes about it.

4 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I thought I would feel I could start doing things again but I just don't so I am quite deflated. I really miss parkrun but there is no way I could do that. I also think it is really unfair to other people who use these spaces. They have been total arseholes about it.

Strathclyde is looking to start next month. Think it's the wrong move.

We could potentially have 400+ people gathering.

Imagine bushy or Edinburgh?

4 minutes ago, chaff said:

Strathclyde is looking to start next month. Think it's the wrong move.

We could potentially have 400+ people gathering.

Imagine bushy or Edinburgh?

They are desperate to get it back because of their income from sponsors. I think if they restated in Aberdeen there would be complaints so I am not sure the Council would approve it but who knows. I will hate it if it comes back because i would want to go but there is no way I could.

We didn't renew our season tickets at Pittodrie either - there were other contributing factors though - shiny teeth Cormack being one.

9 hours ago, Lamia said:

They are desperate to get it back because of their income from sponsors. I think if they restated in Aberdeen there would be complaints so I am not sure the Council would approve it but who knows. I will hate it if it comes back because i would want to go but there is no way I could.

We didn't renew our season tickets at Pittodrie either - there were other contributing factors though - shiny teeth Cormack being one.

As part of the core team I think I'd feel obliged to be there in a volunteer capacity, fortunately the rest of the team are all brand new and I doubt that would be the case. 

11 hours ago, Lamia said:

The virus will be something we need to live with to some extent for rest of our lives, same as we live with our viruses like the flu.

Not having a dig but if you are fully vaccinated and dont feel safe doing a parkrun then when do you think you'll ever feel safe.

We cant keep living like this forever. Hopefully my mid August we wlll be back to normality on the most part.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Just about everything you said. 

you going to elaborate or just state that you disagree without actually giving any reason as to why?

It wasn't exactly a bold prediction of mine that we would see a big rise in cases over the next month, the data is already showing that we are just at the start of a new wave. The data is also showing that most of the new cases are men between the age of 16 and 44. It doesn't take a genius to see how that might have happened.

The only way Gilmour could have got covid is if he had burst the bubble, and since he managed to test positive for the virus he burst the bubble. The most Scottish thing in the world is making a brilliant international debut by winning man of the match against England at Wembley in the Euros, to then do something completely stupid like getting yourself infected with covid before the final crucial match. Maybe I'm wrong and Billy Gilmour wasn't interacting with his family or others outside of the bubble to get the virus, but how else could he have got it? It's not professional, and they blew it right when it mattered the most.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not having a dig but if you are fully vaccinated and dont feel safe doing a parkrun then when do you think you'll ever feel safe.

I think I have acknowledged that!

I stupidly thought we would aim to keep numbers low and restrictions in place until we had significantly fully vaccinated people. I didn’t anticipate throwing in the towel, well not in Scotland anyway 

I would point out that this isn’t anything like the flu though. 

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The virus will be something we need to live with to some extent for rest of our lives, same as we live with our viruses like the flu.

We cant keep living like this forever. Hopefully my mid August we wlll be back to normality on the most part.

Spot on, I think most people are just going about life as normal now. Personally I never really changed much as I was out working day to day and interacting with folk, as were most of my close friends.

I was more careful around my Gran and still am really, but it was her 90th a couple of weeks ago and i gave her a hug and a kiss for the first time since the start and that felt good. People who havent seen loved ones etc are mad, if they died and you hadnt seen them you would be raging.

Well we've got another 3 or 4 weeks left before schools break up and just in the last week it's really ripping through schools, all year groups have got confirmed cases, several staff sent home, feels like it did just before Christmas and we've had really low figures for months.

35 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Well we've got another 3 or 4 weeks left before schools break up and just in the last week it's really ripping through schools, all year groups have got confirmed cases, several staff sent home, feels like it did just before Christmas and we've had really low figures for months.

It is worse than that because we are just going to let it carry on this time.

UK Cabinet Office asked SAGE to model ‘herd immunity’ through a ‘resurgence’ of infection in young people

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/06/24/the-ghost-of-herd-immunity-still-haunts-boris-johnsons-roadmap-out-of-lockdown/

This appears to be the exact policy that is now being followed both north and south of the border.

The younger demographic are being thrown under the bus. So much for the zero-covid policy

7 hours ago, tartandon said:

UK Cabinet Office asked SAGE to model ‘herd immunity’ through a ‘resurgence’ of infection in young people

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/06/24/the-ghost-of-herd-immunity-still-haunts-boris-johnsons-roadmap-out-of-lockdown/

This appears to be the exact policy that is now being followed both north and south of the border.

The younger demographic are being thrown under the bus. So much for the zero-covid policy

You are absolutely spot on. It is clear that is the policy. 

22 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

More students and staff sent home today. Serious questions about whether we will make it to the end of term. Senior leaders haven't helped, insisting on masks in corridors where there's minimal contact and then allowing kids to sit next together unmasked in a classroom for an hour or two.