Coronavirus - Page 303 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

This is quite interesting showing how they're getting on with the vaccine but doubt that's had anything to do with it:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/the-coronavirus-outbreak/india/covid-19-india-reports-42640-new-cases-1167-deaths-in-last-24-hours/articleshow/83737339.cms

Although the cities seem to be improving would probably suggest it is now moving to the poor folk in the country who won't be tested so there's know way of knowing an accurate number.  

Yeah not sure how accurate the reporting is in rural areas. Also huge funeral pyres all over the place as well, seems to have ripped through.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I agree that a lot of folk seem to have given up on the restrictions but it's not just young folk. I've seen loads of older folk at it as well, and it's not just giving up mask wearing. I've spoken to a lot of folk who think they are safe because they have had two jags. Most folk don't read as much about vaccine stuff as the folk contributing to this thread do, and a lot of them don't know any better. Of course the vaccines make people safer but a lot of folk think they are now immune to COVID. I think both the UK and Scottish governments have also pretty much given up as well. This Mancester ban and telling folk not to travel to London for the football are just token gestures. They are relying on vaccines and natural spread of the virus amongst less vulnerable people getting us out of this. It's a huge gamble IMO and I'm not confident it is going to work. I just hope they are right.

I will take your word for it afterall you will come into contact with more old folk than me 😎

Seriously, I do realise its not just youngsters , and agree that some older people think they are now immune, but the mask thing irritates me as it must be one of the easiest restrictions to adhere to unless you have a condition that prevents you wearing it. And I do see a lot more youngsters without one . 

I would agree that the governments have more or less given up, the inconsistencies in their decision making  shows that. I dont think folk know what they can and cant do now,  and are less prepared to check.  

4 minutes ago, SteveHFC said:

Anyone get goosebumps with the 9th of August announcement. This is going to be over sooner than i expected and we wil back to doing the things we love doing. 

I wish I could share in your optimism but I am not convinced it will happen then. Hoping against all hope it does though.
We really need to get some sense of normality back, its getting to the stage that it’s unfair on people that are trying their best to keep to the rules while others dont give a fook. 

27 minutes ago, SteveHFC said:

Anyone get goosebumps with the 9th of August announcement. This is going to be over sooner than i expected and we wil back to doing the things we love doing. 

I can remember end of feb start of march last year thinking it was just a flu like thing. We're not safe till transmission is cut down everywhere though so while it looks good in our corner of the world it's killing thousands around the world right now, so that tempers my excitement.

I can totally understand folks optimism though!

I think we are going to have a big spike in cases over the next month as Football fans coming back from London help spread the disease.

Speaking of which, what a fucking plonker Gilmour is. He was interacting with family who had travelled down from Scotland to see him play against England, I cant believe the total lack of professionalism that we allowed this to happen. What a global embarrassment to Scotland.

3 hours ago, phart said:

Todays total is something like the 6th highest amount of positives we've had, Such a huge number, wonder what's going on.

I didn't see the FM today. Is she still acting like nothing is happening. Did we not have around 20% of the UK's cases today?

really interesting read this thread.

I don't watch or read the news, I deleted facebook last year and have been banned from twitter. I had no idea that we were still in such a mess with this. I just presumed that with the vaccine roll out that things would be getting better.

I haven't been in a pub, restaurant or cafe since a year past march. I haven't been in Glasgow city centre since the same time and not even visited EK shopping centre since November.

In my roll as a gardener the majority of my clients are elderly, the consensus amongst the vast majority of them is now that they have had the 2nd jag they are immune and are all out at lunches with friends. I've been told on numerous occasions that once I've had my 2nd jag I'll feel a lot safer.

I'm not so sure.

I have no problem with the slow re-opening of the economy coming out of our third wave here in Ontario.

We've already hit 'Step 3' vaccination numbers, yet we remain in 'Step 1'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No side effects whatsoever 18 hours after receiving my second shot (Pfizer) having received a first AZ shot on April 14th.

20 hours ago, phart said:

Yeah not sure how accurate the reporting is in rural areas. Also huge funeral pyres all over the place as well, seems to have ripped through.

The black fungus stuff is horrendous too!  Think that is separate to Covid but is something they're getting infected with given their immune system will be struggling.  

'Delta Plus' has been identified here too by the look of it which is classified as 'variant of concern' but at the minute doesn't seem a lot of data to back it up.  

20 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The black fungus stuff is horrendous too!  Think that is separate to Covid but is something they're getting infected with given their immune system will be struggling.  

'Delta Plus' has been identified here too by the look of it which is classified as 'variant of concern' but at the minute doesn't seem a lot of data to back it up.  

Yeah hardly any info, they're literally just finishing the "alpha" variant information interpetation, so hardly any on Delta really and now we have delta plus.

5 hours ago, chaff said:

really interesting read this thread.

I don't watch or read the news, I deleted facebook last year and have been banned from twitter. I had no idea that we were still in such a mess with this. I just presumed that with the vaccine roll out that things would be getting better.

I haven't been in a pub, restaurant or cafe since a year past march. I haven't been in Glasgow city centre since the same time and not even visited EK shopping centre since November.

In my roll as a gardener the majority of my clients are elderly, the consensus amongst the vast majority of them is now that they have had the 2nd jag they are immune and are all out at lunches with friends. I've been told on numerous occasions that once I've had my 2nd jag I'll feel a lot safer.

I'm not so sure.

They are getting better!

The vaccine roll-out is going well but it's nowhere near done.

Yeah It's been over 3 weeks since my 2nd vaccine and my only change in behaviour is i go shopping for my gran twice a week now instead of just going in once.

Just now, jailender said:

Apparently Scotland has the highest infection rate in Europe. Why, if the vacciantion programme is meant to be so well advanced? Can't purely be down to the Delta variant.

It's all in age groups which aren't 2 weeks passed their 2nd jag. Delta has significant escape from just one dose.

covidcases.png

Just now, jailender said:

Even so, that doesn't fully explain why Scotland's rate is so high. Surely in countries where vaccination is lagging behind us there would be higher numbers in more age groups, resulting in a higher overall total.

We have delta variance prevalence a lot higher than other countries and then conditions must be favourable for large scale spread. Be it behaviour or enviromental conditions.

Not very insightful from me i know but that's me reached the limit of my competency on the subject!

10 minutes ago, phart said:

We have delta variance prevalence a lot higher than other countries and then conditions must be favourable for large scale spread. Be it behaviour or enviromental conditions.

Not very insightful from me i know but that's me reached the limit of my competency on the subject!

Patient numbers seem to be growing at a low rate which is a boost but not sure if that's down to the lag between catching it and needing treatment yet. 

Be interesting to see what affect the schools coming off has too especially secondary as if they're anything like me at that age it was spent on Championship Manager and masturbatory activities so a lot less social interaction.   

Just now, ThistleWhistle said:

Patient numbers seem to be growing at a low rate which is a boost but not sure if that's down to the lag between catching it and needing treatment yet. 

Be interesting to see what affect the schools coming off has too especially secondary as if they're anything like me at that age it was spent on Championship Manager and masturbatory activities so a lot less social interaction.   

the hospitalisation rate has been cut in half it seems from about 8-10% to 4 ish% of cases. So if we had the same amount of cases as last wave we'd have half the amount of folk in hospital.