Coronavirus - Page 281 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, Lamia said:

We just better hope that the vaccine's also reduce Long Covid because we could be looking at significant issues related to that long term.

Very true, that remains a concern.  I certainly want to avoid catching this thing if at all possible. 

49 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I would like to see the actual data that believe someone who is clearly in a camp if you do a quick google search and appearing on a Steve Bannon show.

He first said that it looked like vaccines cut infection by 50-60% which are figures I have seen and then went on to say 60% of cases had been vaccinated - call me suspicious......

No data is provided in this interview and so I will wait for the actual evidence. 

He's the Trump supporter who got debunked by his own colleagues cause he was going on about Hydroxychloroquine last year.

"As his colleagues, we defend the right of Dr. Risch, a respected cancer epidemiologist, to voice his opinions. But he is not an expert in infectious disease epidemiology and he has not been swayed by the body of scientific evidence from rigorously conducted clinical trials, which refute the plausibility of his belief and arguments."

https://medium.com/@gregggonsalves/statement-from-yale-faculty-on-hydroxychloroquine-and-its-use-in-covid-19-47d0dee7b2b0

Study after study shows how we become irrational when politics enter the fray. For example the one below.

Science Confirms: Politics Wrecks Your Ability to Do Math

Farewell, Enlightenment: New research suggests that people even solve math problems differently if their political ideology is at stake.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/09/new-study-politics-makes-you-innumerate/

That's why everything has to be blinded and peer-reviewed.

Israel recorded zero covid deaths 2 days ago for the first time in 10 months.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, phart said:

I'm not sure what to believe but there has been consistent scientific pushback to this guys claims even from this article as well.

Yale epidemiologist Harvey Risch defends hydroxychloroquine in Newsweek—badly  Yale epidemiology professor Harvey Risch published an embarrassingly bad op-ed in Newsweek defending hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19. It reminded me how much acupuncture and hydroxychloroquine have in common.

This far into the pandemic, with double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trials starting to be published and showing, each and every one of them so far, that hydroxychloroquine shows no benefit versus COVID-19 (I’ll discuss them shortly), let’s just say that I am flummoxed to find, in the midst of a crisis, that a seemingly respected epidemiologist is fighting for a drug that almost certainly doesn’t work based on low quality and anecdotal evidence when far higher quality evidence is becoming available and even the bulk of the observational evidence has been negative, with one notable outlier. I am even more flummoxed to find that Newsweek provided this epidemiologist a platform to promote this argument, particularly given how he based it primarily on a commentary and review that he wrote in May, which is basically ancient history as far as the evidence base for hydroxychloroquine goes.

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2020/07/24/harvey-risch-defends-hydroxychloroquine/

This is old news.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

I would like to see the actual data that believe someone who is clearly in a camp if you do a quick google search and appearing on a Steve Bannon show.

He first said that it looked like vaccines cut infection by 50-60% which are figures I have seen and then went on to say 60% of cases had been vaccinated - call me suspicious......

No data is provided in this interview and so I will wait for the actual evidence. 

By all means take it or leave it. I did not realize it was a political statement he made! 

For those interested he is a Professor of Epidemiology at Yale University so I would hazard a guess that he is infinitely more qualified to talk on the subject than all the gobshites of the tamb added together, myself included. I do love when absolute nobodies in a filed dismiss high fliers. :lol: Vive la Tamb!

Edited by thplinth

31 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

What will end restrictions is hospital ICU patient levels returning to normal manageable numbers.

Having a large percentage of the population vaccinated should achieve that.

Hopefully we are getting there with the positive mortality experience over the last six weeks. However, we will also have to adapt the NHS to be more resilient and able to cope with ongoing seasonal covid waves or other pandemic experiences. We can't have it cut to the bone on the assumption that mortality rates will be the same or lower every year. 

We'll also need to wait until folk have normalised the risk. Restrictions will never be lifted while you are publishing a minute by minute update on covid deaths on the bbc website - as that becomes the only thing politicans are measured against. Why would they bother with education or drug abuse or anything really, when the only relevant measure of success is covid infection rates. I mean the front page of England's mortality analysis has 323 covid deaths last week (mentioned on DC) and 8163 of "other deaths" 😂. In fairness, you can click through for a breakdown of the "other" - so I'm being a facetious. 

But it will take time for it to be just another risk. Humans take ages to come to terms with stuff and the media become obsessed by single issues (whether it's afghan terrorists or covid). However, once they are used to it they have a huge reserve to get on with their lives despite catastrophic risk all around them. We just need to remember these things and take a balanced approach, keeping in mind that Covid won't be front page news anymore in 5 years time. 

Risk of suffering serious blood clot after AstraZeneca jab doubles in fortnight (telegraph.co.uk)

"New data from the Medical Healthcare products and Regulatory Agency (MHRA) suggested the risk of forming a serious blood clot has jumped from one in 250,000 to around one in 126,600 in a fortnight."

More data pointing to the reckless nature of TAMB's recommendation that <30s should be on the AZ juice. 

Only posting to wind up folk that hate hearing this kind of stuff. Sorry, very immature. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

What will end restrictions is hospital ICU patient levels returning to normal manageable numbers.

Having a large percentage of the population vaccinated should achieve that.

One of my customer’s wife is a nurse. She had both vaccinations but still caught it, and quite badly too.  She also passed it to him. However she wasnt bad enough to be hospitalised, which, he said,  she most certainly would have been had she not had the vaccinations. So yes, its the reduction in hospitalisations that are key to the lifting of restrictions as the vaccines do not make you immune they just make the symptoms less severe.

As an aside, I was at the hospital getting an ECG this week as I have recently been put on blood pressure tablets and they check there has been no damage to your heart. The ECG was fine and the guy said it was nice to give good news as there had been a lot of dark days at the hospital the last few months. He said the worst day was actually not that long ago when they had to ‘let go’ 5 covid patients, 3 of them under 40. When you hear something like that, directly from the hospital,  it really hits home how absolutely no one is exempt. 

I was chatting to a couple who have both been vaccinated (both doses). They said they were looking at holidays and were told they would still need to take COVID tests to fly at 170 quid each a test, each way. Is this right?

Edited by thplinth

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I was chatting to a couple who have both been vaccinated (both doses). They said they were looking at holidays and were told they would still need to take COVID tests to fly at 170 quid each a test, each way. Is this right?

When are they planning to go? They aren't allowed to go anywhere in the near future. I am guessing that travel companies are guessing at what restrictions will be in place when folk are allowed to go on holiday again. I would doubt that they are going to drop the COVID testing any time soon though. I would guess that testing will be required until at least the end of the year, probably longer.

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

By all means take it or leave it. I did not realize it was a political statement he made! 

For those interested he is a Professor of Epidemiology at Yale University so I would hazard a guess that he is infinitely more qualified to talk on the subject than all the gobshites of the tamb added together, myself included. I do love when absolute nobodies in a filed dismiss high fliers. :lol: Vive la Tamb!

Not according to phart. The warning signals were all over if for me without even googling the guy.

If you can point to the actual evidence that would be handy. I gave to a link to a BMJ article as I am not expert - it had actual data from a study note some apparent off the cuff claim

Edited by Lamia

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

And as I also said even if it were true it doesn't' in itself prove anything about the effectiveness of the vaccine - if your entire population was vaccinated, 100% of infections with be in vaccinated people, that doesn't mean the vaccine doesn't have an impact on transmission.

It doesn't tell you what the impact is as a stand alone statistic. You don't need any expertise in infectious diseases to understand that.

12 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Not according to phart.

Not me it's his colleagues at Yale, the one that study infectious disease epidemiology not cancer (as he does). I'm merely the messenger. I recognised the name from the now discredited theory about the efficacy of hydrochloroquine.

2 hours ago, phart said:

Now that one was easy to follow and understand. Some folk must be better at twitter than others. ;)

The information you share on the TAMB is much appreciated even if I do have to ask some daft questions sometimes. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Now that one was easy to follow and understand. Some folk must be better at twitter than others. ;)

The information you share on the TAMB is much appreciated even if I do have to ask some daft questions sometimes. :lol:

I'm just crabbit and like an argument!

9 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

One of my customer’s wife is a nurse. She had both vaccinations but still caught it, and quite badly too.  She also passed it to him. However she wasnt bad enough to be hospitalised, which, he said,  she most certainly would have been had she not had the vaccinations. So yes, its the reduction in hospitalisations that are key to the lifting of restrictions as the vaccines do not make you immune they just make the symptoms less severe.

As an aside, I was at the hospital getting an ECG this week as I have recently been put on blood pressure tablets and they check there has been no damage to your heart. The ECG was fine and the guy said it was nice to give good news as there had been a lot of dark days at the hospital the last few months. He said the worst day was actually not that long ago when they had to ‘let go’ 5 covid patients, 3 of them under 40. When you hear something like that, directly from the hospital,  it really hits home how absolutely no one is exempt. 

Do you know what vaccine she received?

11 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Did she use a petrol pump without gloves ?

1 hour ago, tartandon said:

Do you know what vaccine she received?

No sorry. They are based in the north east of England. As Lamia says she is a nurse so probably Pfizer. But not sure if England were using Pfizer also for NHS staff. 

11 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

My wife had a colleague that had both jabs, but caught it, not enough to be hospitalised, but enough to force an entire nursing ward to self isolate for 10 days or whatever it was at the time. 

No one is exempt from this, vaccinated or not. 

18 hours ago, Lamia said:

The warning signals were all over if for me without even googling the guy.

As I say take or leave it. I find this extremely tedious especially over a simple statement.

One of the things that revolts me more than anything about this pandemic is the politicization of the science and all this partisan shite.

I don't know if you have been following the expulsion of the Russian diplomats in the Czech Republic but that is an example of what I am talking about.

The Czech president is old school and not anti Russian, but the Czech prime minister is the opposite however and dances to the American tune like the UK does. Twice the Czech president attempted to get the Russian vaccines into the country and twice he has been thwarted. The first time by his own Health minister who blocked it and was then fired and replaced and now just recently when they were on the verge of getting the Russian vaccines they had this absurdly contrived expulsion of 18 Russian diplomats. And laughably tied them into the Salisbury nonsense.

This was solely to stop the Russian vaccine deal.

Now what blows my mind is that the Czech Republic, up until a few days ago, had the highest new case rate and highest death rate per capita IN THE WORLD, bar I think Gibraltar and another mini statelet. Basically it was the worst 'proper' country in the world and had been for quite some time.

And still they are playing politics with the vaccines.

The whole thing is insane and I have no interest in all that crap. I am sick of it.

Honest to god folk are going mad. Shops reopened , there was a queue outside Foot Locker at 7.30 am and at lunchtime the Primark queue must  have had about 300 people in it. Went from Argyle at all the way up Miller st . Outside bars and restaurants packed and its bloody freezing today. 

9 hours ago, thplinth said:

As I say take or leave it. I find this extremely tedious especially over a simple statement.

One of the things that revolts me more than anything about this pandemic is the politicization of the science and all this partisan shite.

Tell Steve Bannon and the guy in the video that then.

9 hours ago, thplinth said:

I don't know if you have been following the expulsion of the Russian diplomats in the Czech Republic but that is an example of what I am talking about.

The Czech president is old school and not anti Russian, but the Czech prime minister is the opposite however and dances to the American tune like the UK does. Twice the Czech president attempted to get the Russian vaccines into the country and twice he has been thwarted. The first time by his own Health minister who blocked it and was then fired and replaced and now just recently when they were on the verge of getting the Russian vaccines they had this absurdly contrived expulsion of 18 Russian diplomats. And laughably tied them into the Salisbury nonsense.

This was solely to stop the Russian vaccine deal.

Can we get a phartcheck factcheck on this please?