Coronavirus - Page 279 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Fuck me.. All parks, golf courses, non essential construction, everything shutting down. It's out of control, the new variants...

Been like that here for months Ramy.   We're coming out of it now, I hope.   You will too.

8 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Been like that here for months Ramy.   We're coming out of it now, I hope.   You will too.

I hope so mate. It's bad here in Ottawa, the worst it's ever been. Folk have to stay home and take this serious.  All the best pal..

It's very early days but in my more pessimistic thinking, I think we might not even be half-way through this, there's new variants like P1 which have seen upsurges in deaths in under 40's. India has increasingly more re-infection rates and a huge surge in cases.

I hope it's just cause i'm ignorant and far from educated in these matters but it seems like calm before the storm.

Especially with our border still open.

2 hours ago, phart said:

It's very early days but in my more pessimistic thinking, I think we might not even be half-way through this, there's new variants like P1 which have seen upsurges in deaths in under 40's. India has increasingly more re-infection rates and a huge surge in cases.

I hope it's just cause i'm ignorant and far from educated in these matters but it seems like calm before the storm.

Especially with our border still open.

That isn't pessimism that is realism. I can't believe people think we are nearly out of this. I can't actually see an end to it!

It is crazy that travel from India to the UK is not banned.  The UK government are so intent on lining their own pockets that they can't see the wood for the trees.  If the India variant is not blocked by current vaccines, we will be back to square one in a few weeks.  How many times do we have to go through this cycle before the avaricious pricks in London get the message?  Well past time the FM stopped pussyfooting around the issue and just closed the border by whatever means possible.  No doubt we'll have the tourists pouring in again in a month or so.

4 hours ago, Alibi said:

It is crazy that travel from India to the UK is not banned.  The UK government are so intent on lining their own pockets that they can't see the wood for the trees.  If the India variant is not blocked by current vaccines, we will be back to square one in a few weeks.  How many times do we have to go through this cycle before the avaricious pricks in London get the message?  Well past time the FM stopped pussyfooting around the issue and just closed the border by whatever means possible.  No doubt we'll have the tourists pouring in again in a month or so.

This is a log scale graph but the Indian variant seems to be increasing at the sam rate the kent one did in the same time scale, in England at least anyway.

EzUf6_kVcAAj0XQ?format=jpg&name=large

Also

"

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said it was "only sensible" to cancel his trip to India, due to take place on 26 April, given the Covid situation in the country.

India has been reporting more than 200,000 cases daily since 15 April.

3 minutes ago, phart said:

This is a log scale graph but the Indian variant seems to be increasing at the sam rate the kent one did in the same time scale, in England at least anyway.

EzUf6_kVcAAj0XQ?format=jpg&name=large

The worrying thing is the Indian variant is growing at the same rate despite lockdown and vaccination programme.

47 minutes ago, phart said:

The worrying thing is the Indian variant is growing at the same rate despite lockdown and vaccination programme.

Not to worry our world leading track n trace will come into its own!! 

Given the melting pot of some countries being on they way to vaccination whilst others are a petri dish for new variants this thing could have a few waves to go yet before it is even remotely under control.   

8 hours ago, Alibi said:

Exactly this. 

Why are we making the same mistakes again?! UK gov needs to shut the borders and concentrate on getting our society and economy active again. 

If the India variant explodes here evading vaccine I think it will be the final straw for people - and that really is dangerous territory. 

10 hours ago, phart said:

India has been reporting more than 200,000 cases daily since 15 April.

Ontario has been averaging 4,200-4,300 new cases a day and our situation is dire.

(We even have a shortage on the medicine needed to induce comas for the peer craters having to go on ventilators.)

8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Ontario has been averaging 4,200-4,300 new cases a day and our situation is dire.

(We even have a shortage on the medicine needed to induce comas for the peer craters having to go on ventilators.)

That's terrible, my friend lives in owen sound was speaking to his sister a couple of days ago and she was saying it was getting pretty grim.

These new variants are worrisome as well, if they existed as the original Covid-19 back at the start it would have been much worse start of last year.

This is easinh my fears a bit

https://www.thestreet.com/latest-news/there-are-no-covid-super-strains-yet-says-virologist-vincent-racaniello

I am not worried at all that this virus is going to out-evolve vaccines. People have been looking at it the wrong way. People have been looking at antibodies. People say, “ah, the variants are less susceptible to antibodies. But, you know what? They are ignoring T cells. It turns out, none of the variants have changes that would impact the ability of the T cells to kill an infected cell. The Johnson & Johnson  (JNJ) - Get Report vaccine turns out to be 100% effective at preventing hospitalizations and deaths in South Africa…. I just saw an article today that showed that the U.K. variant ... made no difference in the outbreak in the U.K. It made no difference. The people who know, they are not worrying that the vaccines are going to be compromised by a variant. That’s what I can say with certainty.

Edited by phart

37 minutes ago, phart said:

This is easinh my fears a bit

https://www.thestreet.com/latest-news/there-are-no-covid-super-strains-yet-says-virologist-vincent-racaniello

I am not worried at all that this virus is going to out-evolve vaccines. People have been looking at it the wrong way. People have been looking at antibodies. People say, “ah, the variants are less susceptible to antibodies. But, you know what? They are ignoring T cells. It turns out, none of the variants have changes that would impact the ability of the T cells to kill an infected cell. The Johnson & Johnson  (JNJ) - Get Report vaccine turns out to be 100% effective at preventing hospitalizations and deaths in South Africa…. I just saw an article today that showed that the U.K. variant ... made no difference in the outbreak in the U.K. It made no difference. The people who know, they are not worrying that the vaccines are going to be compromised by a variant. That’s what I can say with certainty.

That was an interesting read. Cheers. :ok: