Coronavirus - Page 266 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

2 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

My wife has a heart murmur,never bothered her at all it only surfaced when the 1st born was due, it was checked and everything was ok, 4 kids later still nothing until a fornight ago when I came to renew our life insurance (ran out at 60)and the life insurers want to bump her quote up....If her heart was going to give out I would have thought that squeezing 4 out might have put the heart under some strain but 25 years after the last one she is still going strong...

Yeah, I’m the same (minus squeezing out 4 kids) 😂 (and being 60 actually)

Had to go to hospital from when I was a bairn up until I was about 16 for a check up, but nothing since. 

I’m a little more prone to infections because of it apparently, have to be careful to clean out cuts at work thoroughly to avoid infection and need to get antibiotics before any dental appointment to save from infections. 

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Had to go to hospital from when I was a bairn up until I was about 16 for a check up, but nothing since. 

I’m a little more prone to infections because of it apparently, have to be careful to clean out cuts at work thoroughly to avoid infection and need to get antibiotics before any dental appointment to save from infections. 

Mmmmm my wifes obviously made of sterner stuff  then, she was a dental nurse for 20 years being covered daily by other folks phlegm etc  ,the days before aspirators....

18 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Serves you right for being bigoted against The Mighty Celtic. 

1 hour ago, davierobbsagod said:

Mmmmm my wifes obviously made of sterner stuff  then, she was a dental nurse for 20 years being covered daily by other folks phlegm etc  ,the days before aspirators....

It’s a snowflake generation mate 😂😂

It was more for infection control, had to quit football in my 20’s because I would get cuts infected and would affect my legs and knees with swelling. Too many days off work after games. 

Sure I heard the other day that our new best rivals Israel were considering putting Green badges on folk vaccinated against the plague to allow access to facilities. 
Don’t see that going down so well in Scotland. 

mebbes we should go with Yellow or Red . Not Star shape mind 

Edited by Shaundy
Cos

Saw foreign holiday bookings have sky rocketed following Bojo's announcement - are folk going to have to self isolate when they come back or is it just going to be a free-for-all?  

Seems bat shit mental at this stage to risk everything for a fortnight in the Algarve when they're struggling with the Brazillian variant as an example.  

3 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Saw foreign holiday bookings have sky rocketed following Bojo's announcement - are folk going to have to self isolate when they come back or is it just going to be a free-for-all?  

Seems bat shit mental at this stage to risk everything for a fortnight in the Algarve when they're struggling with the Brazillian variant as an example.  

It's totally mental. The quarantine system isn't even working yet, but folk are being encouraged to book foreign holidays. I don't think there is any real intention to try to prevent re-importing the virus. If they ever do get back to low infection rates, they are just going to bring it back in again with foreign travel.

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

SCOTLAND came close to eliminating coronavirus during lockdown before new strains were introduced as the country opened up and people began travelling again, an expert report has found. 

Jason Leitch, Scotland's National Clinical Director, said new strains were imported as people travelled across the UK and abroad on summer holidays.

The new report found the majority of strains associated with the second wave of the virus "are new introductions from outside of Scotland and many from outside of the UK".

It said: "This indicates that, while lockdown in Scotland is directly linked with the first wave case numbers being brought under control, travel-associated imports (mostly from Europe or other parts of the UK) following the easing of lockdown are responsible for seeding the current epidemic population."

The new report was submitted to the UK Government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) by members of the COG-UK Consortium.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18931916.scotland-close-eliminating-coronavirus-travel-brought-new-strains/

https://www.ft.com/content/e1eddd2f-cb0b-4c7a-8872-2783810fae8d

Weird when clicked from reddit it allows you to view the thing but from here it's a paywall

Business groups and opposition politicians have this week criticised Scottish first minister Nicola Sturgeon over coronavirus lockdown easing plans that are more cautious than those of UK prime minister Boris Johnson for England. But data from the pandemic’s winter wave suggest that Sturgeon’s greater willingness to maintain restrictions has helped Scotland keep deaths and infections lower than in England. While deaths per million people in Scotland attributed to coronavirus exceeded those in England for more than a month in October and November last year, they went on to peak at a lower level. Excess deaths, seen as the best measure of the pandemic’s overall impact, have since December also been lower in Scotland.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/ls2h5v/scotland_reaps_dividend_of_covid_response_that/

Edited by phart

7 hours ago, exile said:

I came across this chart that I think is the same one in the above link. Interesting effect in January.

"Excess deaths in Scottish care homes have fallen much faster in the past few weeks than in England, and the National Records of Scotland said on Wednesday that care home deaths in which coronavirus was a factor had plunged 69 per cent over the past four weeks."

To be fair it wasn't actually a policy decision it occurred because of the differences in regulations with the health services. This led to difficulties in England getting the Pfizer vaccine into Care Homes because of its particular nature. I would be interested to see the difference in the numbers who got the Pfizer and AZ vaccine in Scotland and England.

55 minutes ago, Lamia said:

To be fair it wasn't actually a policy decision it occurred because of the differences in regulations with the health services. This led to difficulties in England getting the Pfizer vaccine into Care Homes because of its particular nature. I would be interested to see the difference in the numbers who got the Pfizer and AZ vaccine in Scotland and England.

Up until the end of January over 90% of the doses used in Scotland were Pfizer. That was because right at the start, NHS Scotland came up with a plan of how the Pfizer one could be used in care homes. It wasn't really rocket science, just a question of logistics, but the high heed yins at NHS England said it couldn't be done. A lot of NHS staff in England were not happy about that. That's why NHS Scotland got the care homes done quicker than England. It also partly explains why it looked like England was going quicker overall than Scotland early on, before Scotland caught up. 

2 hours ago, colins96 said:

the whole thing is a hoax. 

sooner we are back out and pubs open the better.

Agreed. My daughter being away from us over Xmas was a right laugh and just a wind up really, not to mention my aunties mother that died from it. 

Fucking bellend.