Coronavirus - Page 265 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

13 hours ago, colins96 said:

So a great chance to outdo boris and get us open before England!. 

Im sure there is a song. 

You take the high road and ill take the low road, and I'll be in lockdown before you.. 

Of course you realise the original song is about death, yes?

9 hours ago, phart said:

I've got my first vaccine "blue letter" in today.

So did I, the bonus of being a medical marvel I suppose. First out of all my group of pals that have been offered one, ages range from early 30’s to early 50’s. 

Delighted to come home to it 👍🏽

7 hours ago, min said:

And they will be revised, but a quick look at the strategic framework update document suggests the levels will be tightened if anything. Example - to be in level 1, the case criteria was previously 20-75 weekly cases/100k it will now be <20 weekly cases /100k. 

If the over 50s have been vaccinated fully then I honestly dont see why we cant be almost back to normal in June with some restrictions. 

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If the over 50s have been vaccinated fully then I honestly dont see why we cant be almost back to normal in June with some restrictions. 

For everyone to be fully vaccinated from June that means everyone has to have had their first dose end of this month.

Then 12 weeks later is end of May for 2nd doses to be ready to open in June. or we extend it to end of March then end of June.

Then you have problems with variants and the added selection pressure on the virus due to the vaccine with many more iterations suddenly being allowed.

There's all sorts of dangers in picking the date first rather than waiting to see what the situation is then picking a date based on reality.

16 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Cheers for that - it'll be interesting to see the reponse this gets as would imagine it'll be a few months down the line before it's common knowledge.  Saw record numbers are taking nursing at college/ university but they'll be a few years away from qualified so it'll come out at some point.  

One of the neice's chose to go to Germany instead so hopefully its somewhere with a semi-decent football team when we go over to visit for a weekend.  Think the elder one still wants to come but she's going London so my wife can go there on her own.  

Tbh TW , I expect it to be totally ignored. The cost of this will be swept up as an ‘unprecedented covid cost’ , than the fact it is due to the gap left from the EU . They will hide a lot under the covid banner.

Hope you get your weekend to Germany though ! 😊

51 minutes ago, phart said:

We will indeed however it's weird folk are suddenly picking June just hours after Boris mentioned it.

People are desperate for some normalisation and Boris is happy to provide dates with caveats all over the place. Anyone could do that and people get sucked in. 

9 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Watching Scotland Tonight. Donald MacLeod comes across as a complete cunt.

I think I heard him on the radio yesterday whinging that the vaccine rollout "wasn't good enough". Hard to listen to someone who's havering so much pish. 

Not sure why he was being given so much airtime yesterday. 

2 hours ago, phart said:

We will indeed however it's weird folk are suddenly picking June just hours after Boris mentioned it.

Heard a guy who represented hospitality basically saying it was good to have an end date but it was too slow given only 7,000 folk under 60 had died from it.  Looks like that is England and Wales, only in hospitals and includes where its on the death certificate following a test within 28 days so could appreciate his frustration.  I could even see an argument where we could  just open everything up internally and have a massive nationwide orgy of hugging, caravan holidays and dogging given the most vulnerable are vaccinated.

It seems a bit bat shit mental to add widespreadf foreign travel into that hedonism with a half vaccinated population where new variants could spring up all over the place - just seems like a possible recipe to take us back to square one for me.     

13 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Watching Scotland Tonight. Donald MacLeod comes across as a complete cunt.

Absolute heids gone from him. Appreciate he's concerned about opening his businesses again, but how he could think Boris Johnson's fingers crossed projection was so much better than what's been announced here was pretty baffling. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Tbh TW , I expect it to be totally ignored. The cost of this will be swept up as an ‘unprecedented covid cost’ , than the fact it is due to the gap left from the EU . They will hide a lot under the covid banner.

Hope you get your weekend to Germany though ! 😊

Suspect you'll be right and can see Boris coming out of this shit sandwich smelling like roses - the 10-15% unemployment figure projected will be laid solely at the door of Covid with Brexit barely dwelt upon.  

If they win the Euro's at Wembley just after lockdown lifted he'll be able to zipline down the Mall in his pants.  

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Heard a guy who represented hospitality basically saying it was good to have an end date but it was too slow given only 7,000 folk under 60 had died from it.  Looks like that is England and Wales, only in hospitals and includes where its on the death certificate following a test within 28 days so could appreciate his frustration.  I could even see an argument where we could  just open everything up internally and have a massive nationwide orgy of hugging, caravan holidays and dogging given the most vulnerable are vaccinated.

It seems a bit bat shit mental to add widespreadf foreign travel into that hedonism with a half vaccinated population where new variants could spring up all over the place - just seems like a possible recipe to take us back to square one for me.     

The 4 SAGE scenarios predict worse hospitalisation rates than we just had if we open up like that. Their worst case scenario back in September for this period ended up being too optmisitic for what actually happened.

My general sentiments are below, not aimed at you!

As someone who spent over a decade muddling by on less money than jobseekers employment as a fulltime unpaid carer, and who couldn't get access to services to due to chronic under-funding for various medical needs, while no one gave a fuck. I'm less sympathetic to folk that find their own finances squeezed and only now suddenly give a fuck cause it affects them.

this comes to mind

f1e.png

3 minutes ago, phart said:

The 4 SAGE scenarios predict worse hospitalisation rates than we just had if we open up like that. Their worst case scenario back in September for this period ended up being too optmisitic for what actually happened.

My general sentiments are below, not aimed at you!

As someone who spent over a decade muddling by on less money than jobseekers employment as a fulltime unpaid carer, and who couldn't get access to services to due to chronic under-funding for various medical needs, while no one gave a fuck. I'm less sympathetic to folk that find their own finances squeezed and only now suddenly give a fuck cause it affects them.

this comes to mind

f1e.png

Was speaking to my hairdresser before this lockdown and she was moaning like f**k about getting next to no help from government but then later was going on about how she only worked in the salon two days then worked from home 4 - wouldn't take a forensic accountant to work out why the support was a bit stingy  i'd imagine.  

In terms of hospitality would imagine if furlough is extended plus the other support there will be quite a lot of them who'll come close to what they make annually over a condensed period anyway as more folk will stay at home so premium rates throughout.  

It's the under 25's who seem to be getting the brunt of it from a fiscal / educational perspective as heard 60%+ of those unemployed during the pandemic are in that age range.  

How's the job going btw?  

4 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Was speaking to my hairdresser before this lockdown and she was moaning like f**k about getting next to no help from government but then later was going on about how she only worked in the salon two days then worked from home 4 - wouldn't take a forensic accountant to work out why the support was a bit stingy  i'd imagine.  

In terms of hospitality would imagine if furlough is extended plus the other support there will be quite a lot of them who'll come close to what they make annually over a condensed period anyway as more folk will stay at home so premium rates throughout.  

It's the under 25's who seem to be getting the brunt of it from a fiscal / educational perspective as heard 60%+ of those unemployed during the pandemic are in that age range.  

How's the job going btw?  

Going well. Really busy with that and Open Uni. Plus was just enroled into a work based vocational city and guilds 16 month course as well. Starting to reach the upper limit on my ability to process information.

Under 25's are getting bumped from all angles. Housing, education, job opportunities (although the other 10 folk i was inducted with were in that category, just out of university) Brexit and then climate change which is going to make covid look like nothing as it slowly creeps up on us.

Trust me I want to get out as well, I'm skinny again with money in my pocket in a healthy mental state, first time I can say that in 15 years. Just don't want folk to give up the last 10/20 years of their life by slowly drowning in their own fluids for 2 weeks for me to achieve it.

19 hours ago, dandydunn said:

So did I, the bonus of being a medical marvel I suppose. First out of all my group of pals that have been offered one, ages range from early 30’s to early 50’s. 

Delighted to come home to it 👍🏽

How the f**k did that happen ? I'm now 60 (barely) and not got a cheep and I live in the west end,surely I should be before folk from the bridge of don/westhill/kingswells etc etc

1 minute ago, killiefaetheferry said:

You fucking young bastard. Fuck you and your youthful 'old cunts get theirs first' attitude. Kick a (old) man when he's down, why don't you?

I have no real idea why i'm getting one so soon, probably cause of my caring duties.

I'll take the young even with the bastard tagged on! Been around folk 20 years my junior for 8 weeks so feels good!

8 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

How the f**k did that happen ? I'm now 60 (barely) and not got a cheep and I live in the west end,surely I should be before folk from the bridge of don/westhill/kingswells etc etc

I was born with a heart murmur, so places me in the vulnerable category (apparently). 

I kinda thought I would get offered it earlier than my pals, but I do feel slightly guilty that I’m stepping ahead of others, but with all due respect, I’m not gonna turn it down. 

Just now, dandydunn said:

I was born with a heart murmur, so places me in the vulnerable category (apparently). 

I kinda thought I would get offered it earlier than my pals, but I do feel slightly guilty that I’m stepping ahead of others, but with all due respect, I’m not gonna turn it down. 

My wife has a heart murmur,never bothered her at all it only surfaced when the 1st born was due, it was checked and everything was ok, 4 kids later still nothing until a fornight ago when I came to renew our life insurance (ran out at 60)and the life insurers want to bump her quote up....If her heart was going to give out I would have thought that squeezing 4 out might have put the heart under some strain but 25 years after the last one she is still going strong...