Coronavirus - Page 263 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

22 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

So much for "data being more important than dates". 

Indeed.

I understand thats it helps businesses  try to plan for the future and gives people a bit of hope but I really dont see the point in trying to second guess so far ahead. Its just going to lead to disappointment if things go pearshaped. Would it not be better setting out the initial stages and taking it from there ? 
As usual he will just deflect and sweep it under the carpet if his plan goes to pot. 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Did you miss the announcements when we were told that the vaccination rate will slow down for a few weeks due to a reduction in supplies, and the fact that they will have to start concentrating on second doses?  It was mentioned quite a few times. 

No - Did you miss the bit I said about Wales and the fact they are ahead on the first dose and now ahead on the second. They seem to be managing the supply issues better.

I knew its was going to slow down but we are now in third place again on both first and second doses. I accept it is all very marginal and hopefully things will ramp up again soon. I was simply pointing out that we all have the same supply issues but we have been overtaken again during this time.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, it was just a wee bit obvious, when the lack of supplies started getting talked about at almost exactly the same time as the vaccination rate in Scotland overtook that in England. They must think we are buttoned up the back. 

So they reduced their own supplies at the same time just to get it up Scotland. I know you couldn't rule that out but I think even they wouldn't be that stupid

So much for "data being more important than dates". 

Setting the dates in the sway they have is very likely to lead to people letting their guard down before they should. It doesn't help that the media and now lazily reporting these are the dates things will happen when to be fair they have said it will be data dependent.

I don't think I can cope with the Scottish media demanding dates. They already started at today's press conference!

My two big worries are the schools going back en masse and foreign travel. We need to protect the domestic economy and freedoms until there is wider worldwide vaccine rollout.

Nothing in it really.

Country
First Dose
                                                      Second Dose
Wales
27.3%
                                                   1.4%
England
26.6%
                                                    0.9%
Scotland
26.5%
                                                   0.7%
Northern Ireland
24.2%

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Indeed.

I understand thats it helps businesses  try to plan for the future and gives people a bit of hope but I really dont see the point in trying to second guess so far ahead. Its just going to lead to disappointment if things go pearshaped. Would it not be better setting out the initial stages and taking it from there ? 
As usual he will just deflect and sweep it under the carpet if his plan goes to pot. 

He also used the term "irreversible" or something similar several times.

When questioned by a reporter tonight he said these were "aspirational" or "hopeful" dates.

Then WTF say "irreversible" at all, let alone numerous times ?!

25 minutes ago, fringo said:

When questioned by a reporter tonight he said these were "aspirational" or "hopeful" dates.

Boris is playing it well. 

Take your time and make sure this is the last lockdown and allow more time for the vaccine to be rolled out. 

Nothing in it really.

Country
First Dose
                                                      Second Dose
Wales
27.3%
                                                   1.4%
England
26.6%
                                                    0.9%
Scotland
26.5%
                                                   0.7%
Northern Ireland
24.2%

I said that but my point is that we have slowed down more over the last week.

54 minutes ago, fringo said:

The guy tries to tell everyone what they want to hear and  continues to talk in riddles , unfortunately some are gullible enough to believe him without realising  he is committing himself to nothing. 

31 minutes ago, colins96 said:

Boris is playing it well. 

Take your time and make sure this is the last lockdown and allow more time for the vaccine to be rolled out. 

Not sure if he is (as usual).

It could come back to bite him again as he over promises and under delivers . More U-turns and/or more deaths or economic probs as he tries to please the electorate.

He's already back tracked within a few hours when questioned about "irreversible".

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The guy tries to tell everyone what they want to hear and  continues to talk in riddles , unfortunately some are gullible enough to believe him without realising  he is committing himself to nothing. 

Exactly.

18 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Screenshot_20210222-211609_Gallery.jpg

25 minutes ago, Lamia said:

The media now reporting in a way that makes it look like these are all definite dates. Queue the Scottish media clambering for dates from the Scottish Government! 

Nicola needs a slap. 

Hopefully she opens things faster than boris.  That would be a success.  

If she does not commit to any dates tomorrow , I don’t think she will  especially as Johnson wants rid of restrictions  by mid June 

if fans are still in complete dark tomorrow regards crowds , I can see even the card carrying flag wavers , starting to get a bit pissed off.

Seems to me there is a lot of leeway in what was announced for England today. So Johnson appears to promise tolerably early dates, to placate the business and anti lockdown people, but with the proviso that they won't necessarily stick to the dates, to allow them to roll it out much slower - which will disappoint the same people they're currently trying to placate. Or else they'll go as fast as possible even if it's not safe, to avoid disappointing people, and risk reinfecting everyone.

I think if that happens we really do need to consider tight control of the Scotland - England border. I haven't been particularly vocal about that before - it's a balancing act after all - but I don't think we can't get dragged back to square one yet again.

We didn't sufficiently control travel at the beginning; we then allowed/were pressured into allowing travel in the summer, and got bitten by holiday infections; then we allowed/were pressured into the 4 nations Christmas travel bonanza and got bitten again; and now we're in danger yet again, despite having an international travel policy, of allowing the laxer England policy to drag us back again.

8 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

If she does not commit to any dates tomorrow , I don’t think she will  especially as Johnson wants rid of restrictions  by mid June 

if fans are still in complete dark tomorrow regards crowds , I can see even the card carrying flag wavers , starting to get a bit pissed off.

She has already said it will be a framework and there won't be dates which is totally sensible because if you are being driven by the data dates are meaningless. 

Edited by Lamia

2 minutes ago, Lamia said:

She has already said it will be a framework and there won't be dates which is totally sensible because if you are being driven by the data dates are meaningless. 

I agree the dates need to be flexible and adapted to the changing situation.

However people also need a bit of hope. Something to look forward to. They can't just keep saying restrictions are continuing for the next 3 weeks. People will just give up.

A flexible framework with indicative dates is sensible imo. It doesn't have to be as explicit as the UK government has laid out but key stages and dates such as "the end of May" or whatever should be given.