Coronavirus - Page 262 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

On 2/16/2021 at 6:37 PM, 86glebestreet said:

So you can fly from New York to Dublin and then on to Scotland but if you fly to London from New York you have to isolate before you can fly to Scotland.

Is the point not that any passenger transiting via London (or Dublin) doesn't need to quarantine in a hotel in Scotland?  Only those flying from countries outside the UK & Ireland need to quarantine in hotels when they land in Scotland.  the yoons are saying that Scotland should follow England's rules, but should it not be the rUK that follows Scotland's more sensible rules?  there should not be a get out clause just because you touch down in another rUK & Ireland airport en route.  Especially as we have for many years had to suffer the nonsense of having to fly to/from London just to catch a flight to overseas destinations, meaning that a huge percentage of inbound passengers aiming to get to Scotland will be forced to use a route that buggers up the SG's covid strategy.

Regarding testing, the test only tells you your covid status at the time of the test.  You could walk out the test centre and catch it from someone in the street outside.  Seems daft to say someone can fly if they've had a negative test within the previous 72 hours.  That guarantees nothing.

4 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Regarding testing, the test only tells you your covid status at the time of the test.  You could walk out the test centre and catch it from someone in the street outside.  Seems daft to say someone can fly if they've had a negative test within the previous 72 hours.  That guarantees nothing.

It's not about guarantees. It's all about reducing risk. 

The 72 hour prior to departure test reduces the risk a bit. The 10 days quarantine reduces the risk a bit further, but not by very much if most folk just ignore the rule. Mandatory quarantine will reduce the risk a lot, if the loopholes can be closed. That isn't easy to do, when the SG needs Westminster permission and they refuse to cooperate. Even if Westminster does allow it, it still wouldn't easy but at least it would then be possible, in theory anyway. Some folk will still manage to get round it.

Testing whilst in quarantine reduces the risk even further.

It's all about reducing risk and reducing the number of infected folk coming into the country. Nobody expects that can be guaranteed to be zero. 

5 hours ago, Och Aye said:

I'd just like to say hats off to the world's terrorists who've been obeying lockdown rules. Hardly an incident reported in the past year. Well done to all concerned. 

41 terrorist attacks in 2020

74 in 2019

78 in 2018

According to some website that documents them, might be major differences in the nature of attacks mind you.

Hardly any school shootings in America though!

2 hours ago, phart said:

41 terrorist attacks in 2020

74 in 2019

78 in 2018

According to some website that documents them, might be major differences in the nature of attacks mind you.

Hardly any school shootings in America though!

Mmmm.... I need more detail. 

❤️

44 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Are people allowed to visit loved ones in hospital. I see its being reported that Prince Charles visited his dad.

You can - there are restrictions but if it is deemed essential it is allowed.

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Presumably its only essential if the patient is end of life?

I know loads of ppl who have been in hospital and none have been allowed visitors.

I think so, an old friend of mine died last week and his wife was allowed in during his last couple of days. 

15 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Presumably its only essential if the patient is end of life?

I know loads of ppl who have been in hospital and none have been allowed visitors.

No - there are other reasons too

Looks like we have sharply applied the breaks to the vaccine rollout. I was expecting second doses start to ramping up but although we have started on these numbers remain low. Yet again Wales seem to be doing better on this.

I am also not impressed that my parents are not due to get their second dose until 5 March given their Care Home got the first on the 14 Dec. They have only left a 10 day window and if there is an outbreak in the Care Home they won't go in. They said they were building in a contingency for this which clearly hasn't been done in this case. They were one of the first to get the first dose so I was expecting the 2nd dose to be around now. 😒

23 hours ago, Lamia said:

Looks like we have sharply applied the breaks to the vaccine rollout. I was expecting second doses start to ramping up but although we have started on these numbers remain low. Yet again Wales seem to be doing better on this.

I am also not impressed that my parents are not due to get their second dose until 5 March given their Care Home got the first on the 14 Dec. They have only left a 10 day window and if there is an outbreak in the Care Home they won't go in. They said they were building in a contingency for this which clearly hasn't been done in this case. They were one of the first to get the first dose so I was expecting the 2nd dose to be around now. 😒

Did you miss the announcements when we were told that the vaccination rate will slow down for a few weeks due to a reduction in supplies, and the fact that they will have to start concentrating on second doses?  It was mentioned quite a few times. 

Boris obviously thinks the manufacturers are going to rapidly boost our supplies again soon as he is predicting that all adults will have been offered their first vaccination by the end of July. He must know more about the supply rate than Nicola does. It's a bold prediction considering he is talking about doses of vaccine that haven't even been made yet. I hope he is right.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Did you miss the announcements when we were told that the vaccination rate will slow down for a few weeks due to a reduction in supplies, and the fact that they will have to start concentrating on second doses?  It was mentioned quite a few times. 

Boris obviously thinks the manufacturers are going to rapidly boost our supplies again soon as he is predicting that all adults will have been offered their first vaccination by the end of July. He must know more about the supply rate than Nicola does. It's a bold prediction considering he is talking about doses of vaccine that haven't even been made yet. I hope he is right.

I'm expecting the vaccination rate in Scotland to be held back by a lack of supplies of the vaccine - Westminster will make sure of that as they clearly don't like the way that the Scottish vaccination strategy has caught up with and overtaken their own strategy.  With the rabid yoons cheerleading WM all the way as usual.  The policy of dealing with the highest risk folk first in Scotland seems to have been a success.  note also that in England they talk about people "being offered" a vaccination - that's not the same thing as actually getting vaccinated but unless you're paying attention, you might think it is.

I'm just waiting for Johnson to lift restrictions in England now and set off the next wave.  I hope here in Scotland we don't follow that route too closely or too soon.

11 minutes ago, Alibi said:

note also that in England they talk about people "being offered" a vaccination - that's not the same thing as actually getting vaccinated but unless you're paying attention, you might think it is.

I live in the Scottish Borders which is Tory led council.

I got a leaflet stating the amount of people that had been "offered".

14 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I'm expecting the vaccination rate in Scotland to be held back by a lack of supplies of the vaccine - Westminster will make sure of that as they clearly don't like the way that the Scottish vaccination strategy has caught up with and overtaken their own strategy.  With the rabid yoons cheerleading WM all the way as usual.  The policy of dealing with the highest risk folk first in Scotland seems to have been a success.  note also that in England they talk about people "being offered" a vaccination - that's not the same thing as actually getting vaccinated but unless you're paying attention, you might think it is.

I'm just waiting for Johnson to lift restrictions in England now and set off the next wave.  I hope here in Scotland we don't follow that route too closely or too soon.

Seems more ‘ambitious’ than ‘ cautious’ to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/22/step-by-step-how-england-lockdown-lifted

38 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Aye, it was just a wee bit obvious, when the lack of supplies started getting talked about at almost exactly the same time as the vaccination rate in Scotland overtook that in England. They must think we are buttoned up the back. 

And apart from that, the rate will naturally slow down a bit again as we go back and start 2nd doses on the folk who are more difficult and time consuming to get to.

Another thing to consider is that if the uptake in Scotland continues to be higher than down south (which is why they are talking about "being offered" rather than in Scotland, we are talking about actual percentages getting the vaccine) then we are going to need more than our fair share of the vaccines available in order to cover the same groups of people.