Coronavirus - Page 261 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

52 minutes ago, fringo said:

That's my single biggest concern in terms of "easing the lockdown" which I think will lead to further outbreaks.

As the vaccine roll out kicks in we still need a slightly longer all round lockdown otherwise we'll get a 3rd surge and more mid to long term impact on health and the economy. Nip it the bud now will have a better long term impact for everyone IMO.

We need to stop importing cases from outside Scotland which leads to further outbreaks. The new quarantine rules aren't going to achieve that. We need a New Zealand style quarantine system. That's the only thing which has been shown to work.

Auckland went into lockdown a couple of days ago when they discovered 3 new cases. Three new cases = lockdown. The UK Gov think they are doing well at 13,000 new cases a day.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

We need to stop importing cases from outside Scotland which leads to further outbreaks. The new quarantine rules aren't going to achieve that. We need a New Zealand style quarantine system. That's the only thing which has been shown to work.

Auckland went into lockdown a couple of days ago when they discovered 3 new cases. Three new cases = lockdown. The UK Gov think they are doing well at 13,000 new cases a day.

We need to get it down there first and we are not going to do that opening up school again. Think the Scottish Giovernemt have thrown the towel in to be honest. I used to feel safer here but haven't done so since Aug/Sept!

4 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

So you can fly from New York to Dublin and then on to Scotland but if you fly to London from New York you have to isolate before you can fly to Scotland.

Goes against what they said last week. Makes a joke of the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, 86glebestreet said:

So you can fly from New York to Dublin and then on to Scotland but if you fly to London from New York you have to isolate before you can fly to Scotland.

I don't think that is the case - when did the UK Government agree to police that?

2 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/help-56096264

Bizarrely enough my only symptom was a headache when I had a positive result. Could see an upturn in testing with this.

And about time too. We are currently using less than half of the testing capacity that we supposedly have. We should be testing a lot more people, even people with no symptoms at all. 

Of course testing is only one part of the system. It's supposed to work as test, trace, isolate. If we are making little or no effort to carry out the "isolate" bit, then it gets to a stage where the testing and tracing is almost a waste of resources. 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

A big jump in cases today. Might be down to folk getting out and about more with the weather improving? I hope it's not the start of another upward trend.

Daily number is not a true indicator as it doesn’t refer to single day figures. 

7 day trend is a more accurate representation as far as I understand. 

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think they have developed a PCR test for hypochondria yet.

On the contrary, I think they just have. The world and their granny will turn up to get tested if those symptoms are included. It’s good that more people will get tested but if you are including fatigue and headaches you may as well just test the entire population.  

And yes, I know you were directing that at me ya cheeky bassa 😡

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

A big jump in cases today. Might be down to folk getting out and about more with the weather improving? I hope it's not the start of another upward trend.

I think people might not have been able to get to testing centres due to the snow. We had really low cases for a few days (down in single figures).

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Fatigue and headache is a bit too far IMO. I must have long covid , as must half the country. 

My only reason for having a test was my wife had symptoms and was worried she'd given me Covid, key worker and all that. Did point out if she was positive I would have to isolate regardless! Turns out she was negative but I was positive. Asymptomatic apart from a headache which was thought not to be an indicator of Covid, and had no other symptoms during my isolation. 

As Orraloon says we really do need to test more, even if they display no known symptoms.

1 minute ago, shaggycoo said:

My only reason for having a test was my wife had symptoms and was worried she'd given me Covid, key worker and all that. Did point out if she was positive I would have to isolate regardless! Turns out she was negative but I was positive. Asymptomatic apart from a headache which was thought not to be an indicator of Covid, and had no other symptoms during my isolation. 

As Orraloon says we really do need to test more, even if they display no known symptoms.

We are now going to test all contacts which is good.

14 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

I totally agree that if someone has some of the more unusual/original symptoms then they get tested and so should anyone who has been in contact with them , you were right to get a test and not just because it turns out you had covid. 

My concern is that headaches and fatigue are part and parcel of normal daily life for millions of people and that the testing would be overwhelmed if everyone that simply had a sore head turned up. Feeling tired is probably a common symptom of being stuck inside for months and being bored senseless too . 

If however  the system can cope and this is what they want then that is fine, fill their boots 👍

50 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I think people might not have been able to get to testing centres due to the snow. We had really low cases for a few days (down in single figures).

Aye, might be that. Either way the number of cases has stopped coming down. Just hope they don't go up again. I'm with you on schools. Can't see any logic in opening them up at the moment. Too early.