Coronavirus - Page 256 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, phart said:

Did you see they're looking at Sputnik for 2nd dose ?  Mixing with the Ox will protect against a wider spectrum of variant s apparently according to snipet caught on Radio 4. 

Bill Gates gets control Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Putin Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday with Sunday going to ballot. 

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Did you see they're looking at Sputnik for 2nd dose ?  Mixing with the Ox will protect against a wider spectrum of variant s apparently according to snipet caught on Radio 4. 

Bill Gates gets control Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Putin Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday with Sunday going to ballot. 

Not seen that. I'm so busy atm I haven't been able to sit and trawl through all the info i could 3 months ago.

Funnily enough i reconnected with an old uni mate from USA. He works as a pharmicist and works at the largest university hospital in South Carolina, he's hating the Bill Gates chat as so prevalent and non-ironic across there.

20 hours ago, irnbruman said:

It was 10 days recommended before the lockdown..at least it was in Borisland.

Oh was it! I didn’t remember that!

I read that the Isle of Man increased it to 21 days after someone who had self isolated for 14 days tested positive after the 14 day period 😳

11 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Month into the programme and my mum and dad have their appointment next Saturday. And they are in their 60s 😉😉

So Davidson and Ross can fuck right off with their ridiculous pish about The so called slow rollout of this programme 

Alister Jack will be gutted he can't ride in on an army vehicle to save the day.   

17 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Month into the programme and my mum and dad have their appointment next Saturday. And they are in their 60s 😉😉

So Davidson and Ross can fuck right off with their ridiculous pish about The so called slow rollout of this programme 

8 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Alister Jack will be gutted he can't ride in on an army vehicle to save the day.   

Oh no, no, no. It will be the Scottish Tories ‘holding the SNP to account, forcing them to act faster, and thus saving the day for Scotland . As they drive in on an army tank packed with vaccine. 

On 2/2/2021 at 10:07 PM, Lamia said:

Oh was it! I didn’t remember that!

I read that the Isle of Man increased it to 21 days after someone who had self isolated for 14 days tested positive after the 14 day period 😳

It doesn't really matter too much if folk just ignore the rule anyway.

My Mum got her letter today for the 10th, shes 65.
The Mrs Mum got called on a cancellation yesterday and got hers, shes 62 and has sarcoidosis so had been sheilding.
They are both East Ren
Mrs Sister got hers last week in Aberdeen shes 26 and has Crones so was also shielding at one point.....or supposed to be

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Oh no, no, no. It will be the Scottish Tories ‘holding the SNP to account, forcing them to act faster, and thus saving the day for Scotland . As they drive in on an army tank packed with vaccine. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-55937428

""Scottish Conservatives leader Douglas Ross said it was "thoroughly good news" that test positivity levels were below 5%.

And he said he was encouraged that the country's vaccination rollout was "finally ramping up" - and praised the armed forces personnel who were assisting the NHS.""

Was the beautiful British army wot did it.

It's been frontline health workers. Who have been getting bumped by successive governments. Not that our army has had it easy with all the warmongering either mind you, not trying to pit one against the other.

Funnily enough i just managed to reconnect with a guy from America who was my flatmate in 2nd year of uni. He's a pharmacist for the largest hospital in South Carolina (it's a uni hospital too) they're ran off their feet trying to do their normal job and run vaccination drives too in essentially their spare time. The normal job being looking after unprecedented numbers of very ill people.

This is going to gut the NHS when it's over. Folk will quit, loads have died. It's a shambles.

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-55937428

""Scottish Conservatives leader Douglas Ross said it was "thoroughly good news" that test positivity levels were below 5%.

And he said he was encouraged that the country's vaccination rollout was "finally ramping up" - and praised the armed forces personnel who were assisting the NHS.""

Was the beautiful British army wot did it.

Ross really is a horrible, snivelling cunt. Utterly detestable.

Cant wait to see him and his party getting a shoeing come May

11 hours ago, phart said:

It's been frontline health workers. Who have been getting bumped by successive governments. Not that our army has had it easy with all the warmongering either mind you, not trying to pit one against the other.

Funnily enough i just managed to reconnect with a guy from America who was my flatmate in 2nd year of uni. He's a pharmacist for the largest hospital in South Carolina (it's a uni hospital too) they're ran off their feet trying to do their normal job and run vaccination drives too in essentially their spare time. The normal job being looking after unprecedented numbers of very ill people.

This is going to gut the NHS when it's over. Folk will quit, loads have died. It's a shambles.

It'll be interesting when the latest recruitment drive becomes more common knowledge. My two nieces on my wife's side are qualified/ nearly qualified nurses over in India and Nepal.  They are offering to pay: wage needed to qualify for visa,  flights, visas, NHS charges (might be waived now) and a month wage in advance for settling in costs.  

With the price of a flight being almost a year's salary in Nepal there are ethical questions about stripping third world countries but market forces I suppose in its most raw.  Closer to home they used to come free from the EU so this will cost a fortune and probably won't plug the gap anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Numbers down again today and test positivity below 5% for the second day running.

Over 48k people vaccinated yesterday too. Hopefully these high numbers keep up over the weekend! They're vaccinating around 1% of the eligible population per day at the moment which is pretty good.

Aye, things are certainly going in the right direction.

It looks like the vaccine supply chain is filling up nicely. Hopefully the manufacturers can keep up the good work and keep on churning it out. They have done a great job so far. The next big test will be at the start of March when they need to ramp up again to keep up with the second doses. I think there is a two week window when AZ can't supply any, but I'm not sure if that has happened yet or not.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, things are certainly going in the right direction.

It looks like the vaccine supply chain is filling up nicely. Hopefully the manufacturers can keep up the good work and keep on churning it out. They have done a great job so far. The next big test will be at the start of March when they need to ramp up again to keep up with the second doses. I think there is a two week window when AZ can't supply any, but I'm not sure if that has happened yet or not.

I think it's possibly from March/April time that the Moderna vaccine will start arriving also so this will help with supplies around this time.

The big help would be the J&J vaccine being approved and supplied. A one dose vaccine would accelerate things even further.

15 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I think it's possibly from March/April time that the Moderna vaccine will start arriving also so this will help with supplies around this time.

The big help would be the J&J vaccine being approved and supplied. A one dose vaccine would accelerate things even further.

I think it's the first week in April for the first supplies of the Moderna but that's not huge numbers initially. 

The results of the Janssen phase 3 trials are currently with the regulators who are reviewing the data. Hopefully it can be approved by the end of Feb, maybe?

27 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think it's the first week in April for the first supplies of the Moderna but that's not huge numbers initially. 

The results of the Janssen phase 3 trials are currently with the regulators who are reviewing the data. Hopefully it can be approved by the end of Feb, maybe?

Hopefully although I don't know how quickly they can scale up production. I saw that Novavax were saying they wouldn't have vaccines produced until after the summer regardless of when they get approved.

Can someone explain why a nation of 50 odd million needs 400 million vaccines ? Is that not a tad greedy and why should we be the ones to make the decisions on who gets the surplus? Call me facetious but Tory governments are not normally known for their generosity to the poor. Particularly poor foreigners.

‘’But Mr Hancock said on Monday the UK currently has 400 million doses of vaccine on order which will allow the government to send doses abroad to poorer nations.

"My attitude has always been we protect every UK citizen as fast as we can and at the same time we're generous around the world," the health secretary said.’’

In other news, nice deflection Boris.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-55960355

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Can someone explain why a nation of 50 odd million needs 400 million vaccines ? Is that not a tad greedy and why should we be the ones to make the decisions on who gets the surplus? Call me facetious but Tory governments are not normally known for their generosity to the poor. Particularly poor foreigners.

‘’But Mr Hancock said on Monday the UK currently has 400 million doses of vaccine on order which will allow the government to send doses abroad to poorer nations.

"My attitude has always been we protect every UK citizen as fast as we can and at the same time we're generous around the world," the health secretary said.’’

In other news, nice deflection Boris.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-55960355

It’s covering your bases. Normally you would expect more than half of vaccine developments to fail. The success rate has been very encouraging. Basically you have to ask yourself -

if there are ten vaccine candidates, none of which have a guaranteed delivery time, or can guarantee they’ll actually work, what do you do? 

a) wait and see

b) pick one and hope

c) order from multiple ones to cover yourself

The obvious answer is c. 

if you then, in doing that, also invest heavily in helping all the manufacturers you’ve chose to develop their production facilities at higher speed, facilitate faster approval mechanisms, commit funding to international bodies to buy vaccine for poorer countries, commit to donating oversupply you have, and insist on domestically developed vaccines being licensed to multiple international producers on a not for profit basis, then I think you’re in a reasonably defensible position.

Johnson and his cabinet of arseholes are despicable charlatans, but the UK has done a very good job of vaccine development, scale up and implementation. Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

1 minute ago, biffer said:

It’s covering your bases. Normally you would expect more than half of vaccine developments to fail. The success rate has been very encouraging. Basically you have to ask yourself -

if there are ten vaccine candidates, none of which have a guaranteed delivery time, or can guarantee they’ll actually work, what do you do? 

a) wait and see

b) pick one and hope

c) order from multiple ones to cover yourself

The obvious answer is c. 

if you then, in doing that, also invest heavily in helping all the manufacturers you’ve chose to develop their production facilities at higher speed, facilitate faster approval mechanisms, commit funding to international bodies to buy vaccine for poorer countries, commit to donating oversupply you have, and insist on domestically developed vaccines being licensed to multiple international producers on a not for profit basis, then I think you’re in a reasonably defensible position.

Johnson and his cabinet of arseholes are despicable charlatans, but the UK has done a very good job of vaccine development, scale up and implementation. Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

The cock-up they have made of everything else really necessitated this.