Coronavirus - Page 253 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

What is it with Tories and their constant war references. 

It would be embarrassing enough if he threw it together in response to an unexpected question,  but he knew what was coming up so he must have prepared this. Cringe. 

I am wondering when all those who will never criticise the Scottish Government and were buying the line that Scotland's slower vaccine rollout was due to prioritising Care Homes will admit they were wrong to buy this. I am sincerely hoping things ramp up next week with the opening of the mass vaccination centres before we really start falling significantly behind. I know it isn't a competition but it is about saving as many lives as possible

Edited by Lamia

2 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I am wondering when all those who will never criticise the Scottish Government and were buying the line that Scotland's slower vaccine rollout was due to prioritising Care Homes will admit they were wrong to buy this. I am sincerely hoping things ramp up next week with the opening of the mass vaccination centres before we really start falling significantly behind. 

What numbers are you looking at?

10 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Travelling Tabby used them to create various charts but I have just been following the trends generally.

Ah right, I thought something had changed that I had missed.

Each UK country has given the first dose to between 10 and 13% of the population, which I think is quite good going. I don't think the difference between 10% and 13% is all that significant. 

I don't think it should be a competition , but if it did turn into one, England would win easily. I don't understand why they feel the need to set targets all the time. They should just say they are trying vaccinate folk as quickly as they can. Setting targets just sets themselves up for failure.

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ah right, I thought something had changed that I had missed.

Each UK country has given the first dose to between 10 and 13% of the population, which I think is quite good going. I don't think the difference between 10% and 13% is all that significant. 

I don't think it should be a competition , but if it did turn into one, England would win easily. I don't understand why they feel the need to set targets all the time. They should just say they are trying vaccinate folk as quickly as they can. Setting targets just sets themselves up for failure.

As I said you are correct it shouldn't be a competition but equally we shouldn't be being told crap like we are slower because of Care Homes and we should be seeing a more pronounced ramping up which we are not seeing. Hopefully next week we will

19 minutes ago, phart said:

Well as Travelling tabby put it

I don't dispute this, what I do dispute is that being the reason Scotland is slower. England also seems to be picking up on second doses. Wales is now doing significantly better and NI has been doing better from the very start. Scotland has effectively completed the first dose in Care Homes for some time now yet no significant increase in pace

29 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I don't dispute this, what I do dispute is that being the reason Scotland is slower. England also seems to be picking up on second doses. Wales is now doing significantly better and NI has been doing better from the very start. Scotland has effectively completed the first dose in Care Homes for some time now yet no significant increase in pace

I thought you said it shouldn't be a competition?

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I thought you said it shouldn't be a competition?

I shouldn't. I was commenting on what the Scottish Government were saying and saying that was nonsense. I was also saying that Scotland has not been ramping up. I mention Wales and NI to show that ramping up is possible.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If the Scottish Government came in for criticism on the handling of the pandemic in Scotland it was on the care home deaths which were supposedly above that of the rest of the UK. I'd say that is the reasoning why the care homes are being prioritized in Scotland's roll-out and that can be a slower process.

The deaths in Care Homes are not worse. Scotland just attributed more to Covid. The increase in excess deaths in care homes in the first wave in England was 79%, Wales 66%, Scotland 62% and NI 46%

Care Homes were prioritised fo the vaccine rollout in Scotland because Scotland was following the JCVI recommendation and righty so but that isn't why we have not been ramping up over the weeks.

I am pretty sure if Scotland was rolling out quicker than the rest of the UK people would be pointing it out and it would be a competition. I just find it telling that people are willing to buy the argument that Care Homes have slowed down our rollout so far. Even Nicola Sturgeon dropped this line last week.

3 minutes ago, Lamia said:

The deaths in Care Homes are not worse. Scotland just attributed more to Covid. The increase in excess deaths in care homes in the first wave in England was 79%, Wales 66%, Scotland 62% and NI 46%

Care Homes were prioritised fo the vaccine rollout in Scotland because Scotland was following the JCVI recommendation and righty so but that isn't why we have not been ramping up over the weeks.

Okay but it was certainly the area of COVID that I heard the Scottish Government being panned for and believe that has shaped the way they have rolled out the vaccine. End of the day it is not the vaccine roll-out that is the most important thing it is the death numbers. If the vaccine roll-out is slower in Scotland but has a lower death rate than other parts of the UK then I'd much sooner take that.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay but it was certainly the area of COVID that I heard the Scottish Government being panned for and believe that has shaped the way they have rolled out the vaccine. End of the day it is not the vaccine roll-out that is the most important thing it is the death numbers. If the vaccine roll-out is slower in Scotland but has a lower death rate than other parts of the UK then I'd much sooner take that.

No - the rollout has been shaped by the JCVI.

We can't know the impact of the vaccine rollout on deaths yet

If the rollout had been shaped by the death toll in Care Homes Scotland would have done what NI has done and fully vaccinate Care Home residents within the 3 week timescale. The Scottish Gov have simply followed the JCVI recommendations to the letter. Well apart from the staff who have been vaccinated under the Health and Social Care banner where that banner has been used extremely closely or not at all. For that though I don't really blame the Government.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Right so the JVCI is a Westminster creation. So the Scottish Government cannot be held fully culpable for what they put in place.

I have not idea what point you are making. The Scottish Gov rightly followed the JCVI priority list I am not disagreeing with that. I am saying it isn't the reason they claimed  it was for not ramping up the rollout and if the Scottish Gov were not simply following the JVCI and were shaping their own rollout based on the Care Home death figures as you claimed they would have chosen to do what NI did

5 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I have not idea what point you are making. The Scottish Gov rightly followed the JCVI priority list I am not disagreeing with that. I am saying it isn't the reason they claimed  it was for not ramping up the rollout and if the Scottish Gov were not simply following the JVCI and were shaping their own rollout based on the Care Home death figures as you claimed they would have chosen to do what NI did

Why the rage though? Unless you somehow think the Scottish Government are deliberately holding back on the roll-out. Also have you not thought about the other problem Scotland has? It is largely than Northern Ireland by some distance and has far more remote districts that getting the vaccine to will prove far more problematic especially given the bad weather lately.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Why the rage though? Unless you somehow think the Scottish Government are deliberately holding back on the roll-out. Also have you not thought about the other problem Scotland has? It is largely than Northern Ireland by some distance and has far more remote districts that getting the vaccine to will prove far more problematic especially given the bad weather lately.

No rage here.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The vast majority of the Scottish population lives in the Central belt so that really doesn't become a factor in the early stages