Coronavirus - Page 245 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

14 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Hopefully it won't get worse than that.

A friend of my folks' son has just died this week. Only in his 40s.

My cousin passed away last night and he was 40 with no underlying health conditions.

Fear these stories will become more common the longer it takes to vaccinate the general public.

Here's is a really good (fairly concise) article about single dose and booster dose. I think it's important to remind ourselves that the JCVI isn't advocating single dosing of any vaccine. They are telling the health boards to extend the time between doses from 3/4 weeks to 10 to 12 weeks. That is a very big distinction.

This is what Prof Danny Altmann of ICL says about the Israel 33% number.

"In a more recent development, an Israeli academic who coordinated the country’s Covid-19 response – Professor Nachman Ash – has claimed that a single dose of the vaccine is not as effective as Pfizer originally estimated. However, the comments have been widely criticised.

There are a number of reasons that it is inappropriate to compare the research, which was conducted by the health organisation Clalit, with the Pfizer study. For one, the Israeli study found that a single dose of the vaccine reduced the number of people testing positive for the virus, i.e. being infected, by 33%, while the Pfizer paper suggested that it would prevent 52% from developing symptoms – they looked at two different things.

In addition, the data from Clalit has not been made available, or peer-reviewed. It also involved examining the impact of the vaccine just two weeks after people had received it – considered too early to see an immune response – rather than three, as in the Pfizer study. Finally, the research was not a clinical trial, but rather an observational study, which means the results should be viewed with caution."

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210114-covid-19-how-effective-is-a-single-vaccine-dose

Sounds like they're gambling that the single dose will provide enough protection to bring shit down so they can innoculate more people and then boost it up later.

Might be a case of less haste more speed though. Almost all the scientists i've been following for the last 12 months on Covid are skeptical though which colours my thinking.

Just now, phart said:

Sounds like they're gambling that the single dose will provide enough protection to bring shit down so they can innoculate more people and then boost it up later.

Might be a case of less haste more speed though. Almost all the scientists i've been following for the last 12 months on Covid are skeptical though which colours my thinking.

They are and they are are all trying to sound like the are totally confident which is another thing that makes me not trust them. The fact that the 4 CMOs apparently agreed only for Northern Ireland to decide to stick with the original timescales for Care Homes also makes me wonder. No one seems to  be picking up on this and asking why they have deviated for this group. Wise move I say.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

They are and they are are all trying to sound like the are totally confident which is another thing that makes me not trust them. The fact that the 4 CMOs apparently agreed only for Northern Ireland to decide to stick with the original timescales for Care Homes also makes me wonder. No one seems to  be picking up on this and asking why they have deviated for this group. Wise move I say.

Aye, I think they should have stuck to the original schedule for care homes. I could see us following NI example soon.

6 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Also the same woman's brother in law died of Covid and yet is all into antivax and conspiracy theories. She's a nurse as well, can't quite get my head round it.

For a healthcare professional to think like that, I just can't get my head round it either. Insane behaviour!

Edited by Toepoke

8 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

The husband of a friend of my wife's died of Covid a few months back,he was just 47.  Also the same woman's brother in law died of Covid and yet is all into antivax and conspiracy theories. She's a nurse as well, can't quite get my head round it.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

For a healthcare professional to think like that, I just can't get my head round it either. Insane behaviour!

phart posted a great article earlier on how this happens. You should read this...

https://medium.com/curiouserinstitute/a-game-designers-analysis-of-qanon-580972548be5

1 minute ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Got my first Phizer injection this morning. I was advised it would be up to 12 weeks for the next.

Thanks. So it's maybe a "4 nations" approach? But anyway, hope it all goes well.

2 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Hope so. it was at the Louisa Jordan (got it through work OH). Plenty of people there getting it done. Not much cueing but can get busy as the day goes on.

Good!All the best  :ok:

52 minutes ago, exile said:

Thanks. So it's maybe a "4 nations" approach? But anyway, hope it all goes well.

It was meant to be but Northern Ireland have departed from it in the case of Care Homes although Nicola Sturgeon is pretending not to know this. 

When has a four nations approach ever turn out to be successful?

On 1/22/2021 at 8:35 AM, shaggycoo said:

My cousin passed away last night and he was 40 with no underlying health conditions.

Fear these stories will become more common the longer it takes to vaccinate the general public.

Sorry for your loss. 😞

This story back up my anecdotal experience. The definition of Health and Social Care seems at best loose and at worst being abused. Groups such as Prison Officers, Police and Teachers are not  being vaccinated and there seem to be many examples of people who should not be getting the vaccine before the older groups either.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-55779269