Coronavirus - Page 242 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

33 minutes ago, phart said:

To be fair there has been a huge push from academics in various disciplines for the news to focus on more positive aspects as they say that will make the lockdown more effective rather than the doomsday shit.

Now of course the BBC might not be able to do positive and just does triumphalism.

I might also just be giving them too much credit!

It just really angers me that they think that "only" 49,000 infections in one day is a plus point. 

6 minutes ago, bonzo said:

It just really angers me that they think that "only" 49,000 infections in one day is a plus point. 

I guess it's all relative. The whole thing has been a shit show for almost a year now. If the question time thread is accurate also seems BBC politicised it with regards to Scotland as well.

Concentrate on the positives, is such British nonsense. Let’s pretend everything is ok, let’s not let everyone know how incompetent and moronic those governing the people are. 

Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong didn’t do that shite, and controlled the virus. Even third world countries like Vietnam, Indonesia and Cambodia got things sorted out. 

The UK and The USA are examples of countries thinking they are big and clever, despite being frankly fucking pathetic. 

53 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Concentrate on the positives, is such British nonsense. Let’s pretend everything is ok, let’s not let everyone know how incompetent and moronic those governing the people are. 

Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong didn’t do that shite, and controlled the virus. Even third world countries like Vietnam, Indonesia and Cambodia got things sorted out. 

The UK and The USA are examples of countries thinking they are big and clever, despite being frankly fucking pathetic. 

I don't disagree at all, but noticed your examples were all from SE Asia.   If that list is representative, then I wonder whether they were ready for this as they've seen bird flu hit harder than here.   So forewarned.   Or maybe we are just dicks.

12 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I don't disagree at all, but noticed your examples were all from SE Asia.   If that list is representative, then I wonder whether they were ready for this as they've seen bird flu hit harder than here.   So forewarned.   Or maybe we are just dicks.

Both of those can be true.

Fuck me you'd think the SAS were parachuting in to save Scotland's vaccination program by the way it is being reported - the army have been involved down south from for the last couple of weeks.  

As far as I can tell SNP are getting battered because they've only vaccinated 6% compared to 8% in England.  However, Scotland have vaccinated 80% of care homes compared to 50% in England which takes longer to rollout but would seem far more strategically savvy given that's where a large proportion of the deaths were/are.  

Problem is daft bastards who tune in to nowt but the BBC will readily digest this shit.  

Bizarre that with all the issues they have at the moment the thing getting the greatest traction is something they're, on the face of it, doing pretty well on.  

20 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Fuck me you'd think the SAS were parachuting in to save Scotland's vaccination program by the way it is being reported - the army have been involved down south from for the last couple of weeks.  

As far as I can tell SNP are getting battered because they've only vaccinated 6% compared to 8% in England.  However, Scotland have vaccinated 80% of care homes compared to 50% in England which takes longer to rollout but would seem far more strategically savvy given that's where a large proportion of the deaths were/are.  

Problem is daft bastards who tune in to nowt but the BBC will readily digest this shit.  

Bizarre that with all the issues they have at the moment the thing getting the greatest traction is something they're, on the face of it, doing pretty well on.  

There is an election in 4 months time, they are getting desperate. 

1 hour ago, phart said:

Also are you vaccinated after your first or second dose. There must be some qualitative difference between the two things.

You are vaccinated as soon as you are injected with a vaccine. The data so far suggests it's about two weeks before any significant level of immunity is built up. The second dose boosts any immunity further but not immediately. It concerns me when I see these old folk getting interviewed and they seem to think they are immune as soon as the needle goes in. I'm not sure they are being given proper information or maybe they are just not listening. Most of them are probably slightly more likely to have the virus the day after vaccination than they were the day before.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You are vaccinated as soon as you are injected with a vaccine. The data so far suggests it's about two weeks before any significant level of immunity is built up. The second dose boosts any immunity further but not immediately. It concerns me when I see these old folk getting interviewed and they seem to think they are immune as soon as the needle goes in. I'm not sure they are being given proper information or maybe they are just not listening. Most of them are probably slightly more likely to have the virus the day after vaccination than they were the day before.

I had the flu jag for the first time ever this year and the nurse said it normally took a few days for immunity.  Presumably its the same for Covid as well, though I can't remember seeing anything.  Just reinforces the importance of physical distancing even after the jag.  Some anti-vaccers have made claims about how people have had the injection and still died because of Covid, this presumably would be part of the explanation.

5 hours ago, phart said:

Also are you vaccinated after your first or second dose. There must be some qualitative difference between the two things.

it really is poor reporting by the media on the figures and lazy comparisons with other countries on

as you say is its one or two jabs ? ,

two jabs  as  per the manufactuers recommeded interval ? or the elongated interval that the UK and i think Ireland  is running with as their figues are that bad/went sharpely bad 

which vaccines are being adminstered ? the more probelematic Pfizer or the far easier to distribute AZ or moderna 

and certainly no reminding that the UK had a 3 week headstart as they took a flyer on approval which every country in the EU could of availed of if they wished but they decided to wait for the EMA to approve 

Still its a long race and i expect Johnson government general imcompotence will get it dragged back 

15 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I had the flu jag for the first time ever this year and the nurse said it normally took a few days for immunity.  Presumably its the same for Covid as well, though I can't remember seeing anything.  Just reinforces the importance of physical distancing even after the jag.  Some anti-vaccers have made claims about how people have had the injection and still died because of Covid, this presumably would be part of the explanation.

I'm just waiting for all the stories to come out about how "my granny got vaccinated three weeks ago but she still caught COVID" and suchlike. The anti vaxxers will be claiming it's all a waste of money.

The vaccine will significantly reduce the risk of getting COVID. The vaccine does NOT give you immunity.

No vaccine gives an individual 100% immunity. That's not how vaccines work. IMO, this should be getting explained to everyone as they are getting vaccinated. I know it's happening some places but not everywhere.

The effectiveness of the flu vaccine varies from year to year. It's usually in the range of 50 to 70%. Some people will get little or no immunity at all from being vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

... reinforces the importance of physical distancing even after the jag.  Some anti-vaccers have made claims about how people have had the injection and still died because of Covid, this presumably would be part of the explanation.

Just heard a doctor on the radio...

He said; after the first jab, it takes about three weeks to build up immunity. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Just looking at the Wellcome website and it states participants started getting protection from about 10 days after the first dose (of the Pfizer vaccine).

This is from the original paper submitted by BioNTech/Pfizer to the New England Journal of Medicine.

"The cumulative incidence of Covid-19 cases over time among placebo and vaccine recipients begins to diverge by 12 days after the first dose, 7 days after the estimated median viral incubation period of 5 days, indicating the early onset of a partially protective effect of immunization. The study was not designed to assess the efficacy of a single-dose regimen. Nevertheless, in the interval between the first and second doses, the observed vaccine efficacy against Covid-19 was 52%, and in the first 7 days after dose 2, it was 91%, reaching full efficacy against disease with onset at least 7 days after dose 2. Of the 10 cases of severe Covid-19 that were observed after the first dose, only 1 occurred in the vaccine group. This finding is consistent with overall high efficacy against all Covid-19 cases. The severe case split provides preliminary evidence of vaccine-mediated protection against severe disease, alleviating many of the theoretical concerns over vaccine-mediated disease enhancement."

Edited by Orraloon

56 minutes ago, exile said:

It looks as if care home deaths are surging in England (while dropping in Scotland).

No point racing to get vaccination rates up if you're not protecting the most vulnerable.

England are "padding the meters" as us gamers say

Anyone seeing the harrowing pictures tonight from a London hospital, on the BBC 10 o'clock News, would be wondering why the BBC waited for 1600 deaths a day before showing this sort of coverage, rather than in November and December when Johnson was persuading the nation he really didn't want to cancel Christmas; and wondering why the media gave so much airtime to people claiming the virus was not very deadly and we should open up business and be free to spread it around killing ourselves and our loved ones.

30 minutes ago, davy-hay said:

How much longer do we have to wait Ffs.  A virus that has a 99.9% survival rate and its brought the whole world to its knees. 

Just open everything up and let us choose if we want to go to the pub or not.. 😠😠

I know you get a lot of self-entertainment out of your trolling - and more than a few bites - but maybe you should choose your topic more carefully.

When there’s nearly 100,000 dead in the UK and folk losing loved ones, worried about loved ones and facing all sorts of struggles - maybe ask yourself if it’s really all about you getting your 2 minutes of giggling to yourself. 

12 minutes ago, exile said:

Anyone seeing the harrowing pictures tonight from a London hospital, on the BBC 10 o'clock News, would be wondering why the BBC waited for 1600 deaths a day before showing this sort of coverage, rather than in November and December when Johnson was persuading the nation he really didn't want to cancel Christmas; and wondering why the media gave so much airtime to people claiming the virus was not very deadly and we should open up business and be free to spread it around killing ourselves and our loved ones.

According to reporters they weren't getting clearance from the administrators of the hospitals. They were asking, doctors were begiing them to come but they couldn't get in.

3 minutes ago, phart said:

According to reporters they weren't getting clearance from the administrators of the hospitals. They were asking, doctors were begiing them to come but they couldn't get in.

Thanks, I guess that's understandable. It must have got to a level they are desperate.