Coronavirus - Page 241 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

10 hours ago, Lamia said:

Is it really plausible that Wales has such a low prevalence of the new variant given the significant and fast rise they had. It was much more significant that Scotland's. If Wales's increase wasn't due to the new variant what went so wrong there?  I simply don't believe it was a result of the new variant and if it was there is surely no way that the prevalence of the new variant is now the lowest - makes no sense to me.

I found this when try to find the study Our Scotland's future did which I failed to find. I was trying to find the figures Jason Leitch referred to which showed Northern Ireland had picked up over 100% of the cases. 🤨

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 08.07.12.png

Where, and when, did that bar chart come from? It's estimated that Scotland has been over 50% for at least a week now

53 minutes ago, bonzo said:

I got the flu jab back in October, honestly it was done with military precision. In one door and out another all in probably under 2 minutes. 

Same it was actually pretty impressive how efficient the process was.

43 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We should always be very careful about try to compare stats from different countries, even countries within the UK. Stats are compiled in different ways in different places. Even in Scotland we have three different ways of counting deaths. 

Oh I know that but my point was simply that the ONS should be making things clear not misleading. 

To be fair after having another look it does say Wales sample size is small so confidence intervals are low. Having said that though I think they are so low isn't valid. As I have said I cannot see how the prevalence is anywhere near that

30 minutes ago, Lamia said:

To be fair after having another look it does say Wales sample size is small so confidence intervals are low. Having said that though I think they are so low isn't valid. As I have said I cannot see how the prevalence is anywhere near that

It's the same with all stats, you need to dig a wee bit deeper to understand exactly where they come from and what they mean.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

It's the same with all stats, you need to dig a wee bit deeper to understand exactly where they come from and what they mean.

I completely accept that but I simply thing that graph is worse than useless.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:49 PM, Lamia said:

I believe that in Canada they prescribe it for everyone or at least everyone basically takes it as a matter of course. It is particularly important when you are staying at home so much

I lived there for 2 years and never heard of this, I'm now away to question a few of my friends to see if it's a thing

Lockdown 3.9 is shite

Some reasonably good news. This study shows that a prior COVID infection provides a good measure of protection against further infections for at least 5 months. People can, and do, get reinfected but the risk is much lower.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-a-preprint-from-the-siren-study-looking-at-sars-cov-2-infection-rates-in-antibody-positive-healthcare-workers/?cli_action=1610622824.379

11 minutes ago, phart said:

Aye folk get chicken pox again etc, always outliers. Think my brother got one of the measles 3 times.

It seems that the study is indicating that a prior infection may provide over 80% protection, which is as good as a good vaccine. So far they can only say for 5 months. More study is required before they can tell if it will be longer than that. For those who did get reinfected there was a higher chance that they would be asymptomatic second time round. They could still pass the virus on to others though.

16 hours ago, Lamia said:

Those numbers are from the week ending 2nd Jan, so will already be out of date. This new variant is moving fast. The means and ability to detect it are also changing fast. To be fair to the ONS, on this occasion, I think they do a reasonable job of explaining the limitations of those stats. Just my opinion having now read the whole section.

I'm not a big fan of the ONS in general, but on this one I personally wouldn't criticise them too much.

21 hours ago, phart said:

My gran getting vaccine on tuesday.

Don't know what one, i suspect Oxford as getting it at home as she's housebound pretty much.

I see the BBC & the WM government are trying to get people to call it the Oxford vaccine rather than the Astrazeneca vaccine.  That's a bit like saying you should call a Honda Civic a Swindon Honda Civic (or wherever they build them now).  Next they'll be marketing Haggis as British haggis.  Oh, hang on...

2 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I see the BBC & the WM government are trying to get people to call it the Oxford vaccine rather than the Astrazeneca vaccine.  That's a bit like saying you should call a Honda Civic a Swindon Honda Civic (or wherever they build them now).  Next they'll be marketing Haggis as British haggis.  Oh, hang on...

I just use Oxford as it's easier to spell!

Edited by phart

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-blames-westminster-removal-23318291.amp

Is it just me or is this an unbelievably  selfish statement to make :

But a UK Government source told the Press Association: "The reason we didn't want to publish these figures was because everyone in the world wants these vaccines, and if other countries see how much we are getting they are likely to put pressure on the drug firms to give them some of our allocation."

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-blames-westminster-removal-23318291.amp

Is it just me or is this an unbelievably  selfish statement to make :

But a UK Government source told the Press Association: "The reason we didn't want to publish these figures was because everyone in the world wants these vaccines, and if other countries see how much we are getting they are likely to put pressure on the drug firms to give them some of our allocation."

The SG won't have seen the contracts which the UKG has in place with the vaccine suppliers. There will be confidentiality agreements as part of these contracts. It makes sense to take the website down until the confidential parts can be removed then put it back up again. It seems a daft thing for a "UKG source" to say though. Assuming anybody actually did say it?

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The SG won't have seen the contracts which the UKG has in place with the vaccine suppliers. There will be confidentiality agreements as part of these contracts. It makes sense to take the website down until the confidential parts can be removed then put it back up again. It seems a daft thing for a "UKG source" to say though. Assuming anybody actually did say it?

Yeah , I am not disputing the confidential part being removed, it was more the response.

I suppose it was the Daily Record. Could have been Tam Cowan that said it 😬

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Yeah , I am not disputing the confidential part being removed, it was more the response.

I suppose it was the Daily Record. Could have been Tam Cowan that said it 😬

Tam Cowan probably got his COVID joke from an unnamed "government source". They are all in it together.

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Ffs, the BBC are lording up the fact that there has been 4 days in a row with cases under 50,000, 50 fuckin 000🤬.

To be fair there has been a huge push from academics in various disciplines for the news to focus on more positive aspects as they say that will make the lockdown more effective rather than the doomsday shit.

Now of course the BBC might not be able to do positive and just does triumphalism.

I might also just be giving them too much credit!