Coronavirus - Page 239 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

46 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My grans 90 and not heard a thing about getting hers.

Ditto

Ā 

43 minutes ago, phart said:

My gran hasn't heard anything either, however she lives at home and shouldn't have heard yet. She is over 90.

and this one

My dad has had it and hopefully my mum today - they are both in a Care Home and I know there has been significant activity in Care Homes in Scotland because they have followed the JCVI priority list which obviously had Care Home residents at the top of the list. In England they struggled to administer the Pfizer vaccine in Care Homes so moved onto the second priority of people over 80 in the community. This has led to people thinking nothing is happening in Scotland but is in England because the Care Home vaccine programme isn't as visible to the public.

Now that the Astra Zeneca vaccines are starting from today we will now see it in the over 80s in the community.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

18 minutes ago, Lamia said:

My dad has had it and hopefully my mum today - they are both in a Care Home and I know there has been significant activity in Care Homes in Scotland because they have followed the JCVI priority list which obviously had Care Home residents at the top of the list. In England they struggled to administer the Pfizer vaccine in Care Homes so moved onto the second priority of people over 80 in the community. This has led to people thinking nothing is happening in Scotland but is in England because the Care Home vaccine programme isn't as visible to the public.

Now that the Astra Zeneca vaccines are starting from today we will now see it in the over 80s in the community.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thatā€™s good news. My wife has had her first dose from working in hospital, who knows when her second one will come though.Ā 

21 hours ago, exile said:

I think numbers in intensive care have still been going up, and deaths. So it's not the end of those troubles, for sure.

The hope is, obviously, that if the number of new cases starts dropping, the others will follow in due course.

The number of new cases today could be a continuation of it leveling out, but Monday is still considered part of the "weekend reporting delay", so I'm not getting too optimistic just yet. Hopefully tomorrows new cases will be below 2000 again. Fingers crossed.

Depends on how many folk that Celtic mobĀ have infected? That might lead to a big new cluster?Ā ;)

But if we continue to follow the trend in England, then we are nowhere near to the worst of it yet.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

32 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The number of new cases today could be a continuation of it leveling out, but Monday is still considered part of the "weekend reporting delay", so I'm not getting too optimistic just yet. Hopefully tomorrows new cases will be below 2000 again. Fingers crossed.

Depends on how many folk that Celtic mobĀ have infected? That might lead to a big new cluster?Ā ;)

But if we continue to follow the trend in England, then we are nowhere near to the worst of it yet.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

You've got to hope that "locking down" from Boxing Day has helped to keep Scotland from following the trend in England as it felt likeĀ ours was more preventative whereasĀ down south it was more of a necessity but I suppose only time will tell.

Edited by wee-toon-red

See that Vitamin D is trending on twitter. I have seen elsewhere that they think vitamin D deficiency can have a significant impact. This makes sense to me particularly when thinking of those ethnic groups with darker skin who have disproportionately poor outcomes. Of course there could be a multiple number of reasons but they do tend to be more prone to vitamin D deficiency.Ā 

This has made me redouble my efforts to remember to take my tablets!

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Ā 

Ā 

Looking at the weekly pattern it still looks to be improving. The positivity rate has lowered over a number of days

41 minutes ago, phart said:

Also regarding Ireland

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ireland now has the worst 14 day average in the world. Public health system really feeling the strain. They were using ambulances parked outside a hospital in Letterkenny to treat patients yesterday.Ā :unsure:

Seems to have completely blindsided us. Or most of us anyway.

Ā 

Screenshot (4).png

2 hours ago, phart said:

Then got papers doing shit like this

Ā 

This may not the the worst example, but in general the newspapers and also media generally are doing a very nasty job of spreading confusing messages and/or undermining and/or politicising health messages.

It's one thing for people on social media to be arguing about conspiracy theories and sharing half baked information, or anti-lockdown liberatarians being forever devil's advocate* on The Spectator (at least you know you tread there at your own risk) etc, but when "news"papers go out their way to spread fear and confusion, well, it's almost literally sickening. Maybe the tabloids are incorrigible but the BBC and other supposedly responsible broadcasters shouldn't be giving them the oxygen of publicity.

Talking of oxygen, there are hospitals running out of it, and there are hospital morgues full in Surrey etc. This is all a sadly foreseeable result of giving disproportionate attention to those arguing against effective restrictions and that good old British common sense would be enough.

Ā 

Ā * Actually typed a typo "devi's advocate" which sounds a much more useful and valuable stance.

Ā 

Totally agree about the media's role. I would go ski far as top say they have blood on their hands. They have deliberately undermined the message and it seems to me they would prefer things to fail, hospitals to fill up and people to die because they are better headlines.Ā 

3 hours ago, Lamia said:

See that Vitamin D is trending on twitter. I have seen elsewhere that they think vitamin D deficiency can have a significant impact. This makes sense to me particularly when thinking of those ethnic groups with darker skin who have disproportionately poor outcomes. Of course there could be a multiple number of reasons but they do tend to be more prone to vitamin D deficiency.Ā 

This has made me redouble my efforts to remember to take my tablets!

I've been taking 25ug vitamin D pills since the summer after reading a report from Hong Kong about the huge difference in survivability between Covid patients depending on the level of vitamin D in their bodies.

They do say it's the one vitamin that's almost impossible to get via your diet, so therefore the best supplement to take. Especially somewhere like Scotland with so little sunlight most of the year.

Ā 

26 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Totally agree about the media's role. I would go ski far as top say they have blood on their hands. They have deliberately undermined the message and it seems to me they would prefer things to fail, hospitals to fill up and people to die because they are better headlines.Ā 

I would almost say that but I don't have specific enough examples, it's maybe not a single incident, but just a constant drip-drip. Also it's not just what they say but what they don't say.

There are over 80, 000 dead. Remember when they said last March that 20,000 would be a good outcome and people coudl hardly take it in.

Over a thousand a day dying. Think of any disaster - Aberfan (about 150) - Lockerbie (259 dead all-in) - Indian Ocean tsunami (about 150 Britons) - Iraq war (179 British soldiers)... all bundled together, still less than one day dying from COVID in UK. It's a catastrophe.

But the media seem to turn a blind eye to the magnitude of what's happening, as if numbed to it, or as if they don't think anything could be done any differently. While forgetting they were agitating for holidays abroad, for borders to remain open, and for Christmas not to be cancelled...

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I've been taking 25ug vitamin D pills since the summer after reading a report from Hong Kong about the huge difference in survivability between Covid patients depending on the level of vitamin D in their bodies.

They do say it's the one vitamin that's almost impossible to get via your diet, so therefore the best supplement to take. Especially somewhere like Scotland with so little sunlight most of the year.

Ā 

I believe that in Canada they prescribe it for everyone or at least everyone basically takes it as a matter of course. It is particularly important when you are staying at home so much

3 minutes ago, exile said:

I would almost say that but I don't have specific enough examples, it's maybe not a single incident, but just a constant drip-drip. Also it's not just what they say but what they don't say.

Ā 

Every time a restriction is introduced they look for the "inconsistencies" "confusion" and "loopholes". They contrarily ask "how are you going to enforce that" and why if this thing is banned why is this other thing which is deliberately stocking grievance. They continually claim everything is too complicated giving people an excuse not to comply. They have also exhorted pressure to stop restrictions being implemented - Christmas I strongly believe was a case in point.

They never try to explain the rational behind the rules and despite being told what the rational is they continue to pretend they have never been told.

6 minutes ago, Lamia said:

You see I don't see the issue here. 7 miles is local.

I see what you mean. Arguaby it's worse going all the way to Bristol just for a photo opportunity to show off a vaccination centre for "work" reasons.

2 hours ago, exile said:

Meanwhile

kcHktx80?format=jpg&name=small

The PM was reportedly spotted cycling in London's Olympic Park yesterday afternoon, despite government guidance warning people to 'stay local'

How that bastard has the brass neck to show his face in public is a total mystery to me.

14 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Ā 

The only dark skinned people able to cope with northern latitudes in historical times were theĀ Inuits. They traditionally managed to get sufficient vitamin D from oily fish. Dark skin does not allow for the efficient production of vitamin D and thatā€™s white white skin evolved in the north.Ā