Coronavirus - Page 238 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

Just now, bonzo said:

Liz and Phil have had their first jag, I'll sleep easier tonight 🤬

To be fair they at least fit the profile, there were American politicians who've spent all their time downplaying the virus for the last 10 months who then go there's over a week ago.

I shall also sleep well, although will be more to do with the fact i'm about to stuff my face with curry and have been up since 6am 😛

14 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The Mail unsurprisingly politicising immunisation (hopefully it's far from the truth though).

Jeanne Freeman has refuted it. The stats for last week, the roll-out in Scotland was a greater percentage of population than England and the UK average. This looks like blatant politicising & scaremongering from UK Govt.

This is our own Govt, in a pandemic, undermining morale and confidence in our health services. The opposite of wartime 'pulling together'

Edited by exile

It seems what the UK Govt is doing is to

• spread the story that the 'SNP' is rolling the vaccine out more slowly in Scotland
  • spread the story that the 'SNP' is not publishing data on vaccines (as if to cover up the above failure)

As I see it the first is not true and the second is misleading, because the data is being published but not necessarily every day.

But it seems people are buying into this, the papers are leaping on it and the BBC are speading what the papers say.

15 minutes ago, exile said:

It seems what the UK Govt is doing is to

• spread the story that the 'SNP' is rolling the vaccine out more slowly in Scotland
  • spread the story that the 'SNP' is not publishing data on vaccines (as if to cover up the above failure)

As I see it the first is not true and the second is misleading, because the data is being published but not necessarily every day.

But it seems people are buying into this, the papers are leaping on it and the BBC are speading what the papers say.

Can the SG not take these papers to court if the information is wrong? This is not a petty wee dig at an insignificant incident , if incorrect this is a serious breach of editorial standards given the severity of the situation. 

I think it would be useful for them to explain all the logistics of the journey that the vaccines go through to get all the way from the manufacturing equipment to eventually be injected into an arm. There are quite a few steps in that process that the public will not be aware of. If there is any minor hitch at any of the stages it can have a big knock on effect all the way down the line. 

It would be useful to have some headline numbers reported on a regular basis. Off the top of my head I would try to go for 4 simple numbers.

1.  How many people have had one dose.
  2. How many people have had two doses. (That will probably just be the queen so far ;))
  3. How many doses have arrived in Scotland.
  4. How many doses are in the system waiting to be used.

I don't think it is really possible to do that at present because the supply chain isn't robust enough. But in time, as the wrinkles in the system get ironed out, it should be possible to provide that data. 

Instead of wasting time making rash predictions about how many folk will be vaccinated at various points in the future, I would prefer them to tell us what has been done, and is actually happening right now.

12 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Can the SG not take these papers to court if the information is wrong? This is not a petty wee dig at an insignificant incident , if incorrect this is a serious breach of editorial standards given the severity of the situation. 

I would prefer if they spent the time checking that Scotland is actually getting our population share of the vaccines coming into the UK. I am fairly confident that that has happened so far, but if I was PM, I would be seriously considering how I could divert a bigger share to London. These newspaper headlines might just be the starting point of trying to legitimise that process? Call me cynical if you want, but I don't trust the fukers.

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I think it's probably expressed as "fears" - my earlier point would be more accurate to say that

• spread the story that there are feats that the 'SNP' is rolling the vaccine out more slowly in Scotland

so it just needs an anonymous UK Government source to say there are "fears" that the vaccine could be behind the curve, and that the "SNP government's refusal to publish statistics", and the smear is up and running round the world before you have a chance to put your trainers on, as the saying goes.

There was a long debate about this last week and I can't recall how the detail ended up, but NS explained why they were reluctant to bow to demands to give daily totals of very detailed brakdowns etc on grounds of practical efficiency etc (I paraphrase) - ie health people have better things to do than compile overly detailed stats every day. But it's being spun that the Scots Govt is on the back foot as if trying to hide something 

It just seems to me a very cynical thing for them to do and must be dispiriting if you are a health worker trying to do your best and your own (UK) government is spinning against you.

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I would prefer if they spent the time checking that Scotland is actually getting our population share of the vaccines coming into the UK. I am fairly confident that that has happened so far, but if I was PM, I would be seriously considering how I could divert a bigger share to London. These newspaper headlines might just be the starting point of trying to legitimise that process? Call me cynical if you want, but I don't trust the fukers.

My guess is that the Tories made an almighty mess of the pandemic last year, on the back foot and behind everyone else on lockdown, track and trace, etc etc and it's as if they've decided that in 2021 they are going to go on the front foot, be proactive and push the vaccine as their big (British, Brexity) success story.

For that to work most fully they need to have comparative statistics between the 'home nations' (that they studiously avoided all through 2020) to make it look as if the UK Govt is the saviour, the British vaccine, the Army, etc etc. while the devolved nations are playing catch-up. I wouldn't like to think they would withhold the vaccine - it is surely in the hands of the practitioners - but it looks as if their spinners are ready to pounce on anything to make the Scots Govt look bad.

2 minutes ago, exile said:

My guess is that the Tories made an almighty mess of the pandemic last year, on the back foot and behind everyone else on lockdown, track and trace, etc etc and it's as if they've decided that in 2021 they are going to go on the front foot, be proactive and push the vaccine as their big (British, Brexity) success story.

For that to work most fully they need to have comparative statistics between the 'home nations' (that they studiously avoided all through 2020) to make it look as if the UK Govt is the saviour, the British vaccine, the Army, etc etc. while the devolved nations are playing catch-up. I wouldn't like to think they would withhold the vaccine - it is surely in the hands of the practitioners - but it looks as if their spinners are ready to pounce on anything to make the Scots Govt look bad.

This highlights my point about the need to explain how the supply chain works. The practitioners are the last people who get their hands on the vaccines before they go into somebody's arm. They have very little control over how many doses they get or when they get them. At present there is very little public information about how many doses have been delivered into the UK and where they are in the system. Or even where they are in the country. 

2 hours ago, exile said:

Hopefully things are stabilising here.

The numbers for the last couple of days might suggest a flattening out. That might just be a reporting blip, but it's too early to say. I think we still have a fair way to go on the upward curve yet.

Edited by Orraloon

43 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The numbers for the last couple of days might suggest a flattening out. That might just be a reporting blip, but it's too early to say. I think we still have a fair way to go on the upward curve yet.

I think numbers in intensive care have still been going up, and deaths. So it's not the end of those troubles, for sure.

The hope is, obviously, that if the number of new cases starts dropping, the others will follow in due course.

Intensive care and deaths are lagging indicators. They'll be indactive of 2 weeks ago infections.

As you say if the infections then start to drop it will then be shown a couple of weeks later in the deaths etc.

Also two new drugs that significantly reduce mortality and hopefully the largest demograph responsible for deaths getting vaccinated.

One thing I am bemused by is the Republic of Ireland's death figures. They have been under 20 and often in single figures since the first wave despite infection rates rising to over 1000 a day in  Oct. They are significantly higher now and I know there is a lag but still I don't get how their deaths have to so low. What are they doing right?

1 minute ago, phart said:

My gran hasn't heard anything either, however she lives at home and shouldn't have heard yet. She is over 90.

Yup. The Scottish Gov have been prioritising the top group in the JCVI list and focusing on Care Homes. Over 80s not in Care Homes should start now the AstraZeneca rollout is starting tomorrow