Coronavirus - Page 228 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

23 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Wish it was only the Covid deniers who would need hospital treatment. 🤨

I feel so sorry for the staff having to pick up the pieces.

It's getting grim for them

Edited by phart

2 minutes ago, exile said:

Johnson said "it's a triumph of British Science".

But the Pfizer one was not a triumph of German (etc) science, it was a triumph of British procurement.

Developed by Turkish immigrants no less. A triumph of freedom of movement ;)

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Should we be concerned that they are now playing around with the administration of the Pfiser vaccine dose scheduling?🤨

Are they? What are they doing? I thought the Pfizer one was two doses about 21 days apart. That's what all the trials are based on. Where did you see this? I know they have relooked at the dosage for the AstraZeneca one but I haven't read anything like that about the Pfizer one.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Are they? What are they doing? I thought the Pfizer one was two doses about 21 days apart. That's what all the trials are based on. Where did you see this? I know they have relooked at the dosage for the AstraZeneca one but I haven't read anything like that about the Pfizer one.

Ok found it now. 

So, they are now recommending the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine is given between 3 and 12 weeks after the first. For the AstraZeneca one, they are saying between 4 and 12 weeks. I'm sure they have data to back up those changes. Doesn't sound like too big a change to me. 

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ok found it now. 

So, they are now recommending the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine is given between 3 and 12 weeks after the first. For the AstraZeneca one, they are saying between 4 and 12 weeks. I'm sure they have data to back up those changes. Doesn't sound like too big a change to me. 

My sister got  the Pfizer vaccine on 15 dec, booked in for second one on 12 jan. Friend who works in care homes has similar dates. Not exactly a large sampling admittedly but seems to be in line with the above. 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Ok found it now. 

Pfizer didn't seem convinced in the quote I saw so if Pfizer don't know if this will have an impact I am not sure how the UK knows. I can't believe no one has asked what they are basing the decision on, not one journalist at the press conference thought it worthy but asked their usual inane questions 

Edited by Lamia

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

My sister got  the Pfizer vaccine on 15 dec, booked in for second one on 12 jan. Friend who works in care homes has similar dates. Not exactly a large sampling admittedly but seems to be in line with the above. 

It has only just been changed though. My dad who is in  a Care Home has had his first and is due to get the second mid Jan. I will be interested to see if they change that though.

7 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Pfizer didn't seem convinced in the quote I saw so if Pfizer don't know if this will have an impact I am not sure how the UK knows. I can't believe no one has asked what they are basing the decision on, not one journalist at the press conference thought it worthy but asked their usual inane questions 

I posted the data for a single dose earlier in this thread. Must be miles back now. No idea what's happening specifically with the new dosing regiment. Hearing journalists and politicians discuss the science they don't understand won't be helpful though. Here's some info from some scientists i saw though

28 minutes ago, Lamia said:

It has only just been changed though. My dad who is in  a Care Home has had his first and is due to get the second mid Jan. I will be interested to see if they change that though.

Both the MHRA and JCVI have said that there is enough evidence in the data to support the changes. That's good enough for me. There is a clear trade off between people having a bit less protection for the extended period between doses, and other people having no protection at all, because they can't get the first dose. They have decided that on balance it's better to get as many people as possible to have the lower level of protection rather than than have half the number have near full as possible protection. The logic seems sound to me but it needs folk with more knowledge than me to work out the statistical benefits.

47 minutes ago, Lamia said:

👍

I hope the timing for your dad’s second vaccination remains in place. I think what Orraloon has said makes sense, but when its your own family and the expectation has been for a second vaccine imminently it probably gives more comfort for it to go ahead as planned.   

2 hours ago, phart said:

I posted the data for a single dose earlier in this thread. Must be miles back now. No idea what's happening specifically with the new dosing regiment. Hearing journalists and politicians discuss the science they don't understand won't be helpful though. Here's some info from some scientists i saw though

It is the Pfizer vaccine I am talking about though