Coronavirus - Page 222 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

48 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Haven’t been following this but you’d think as an island, the UK could have gotten on top of things a lot better 

There is no doubt theres a lack of leadership but theres also a lack of individual responsibility in the general public

It’s quite something how much panic this new strain appears to have caused in such a short space of time.

Is it too cynical to wonder whether to justify finally “taking action” in london, they feel the whole country has to suffer?

Edited by wee-toon-red

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I don't have any issue with things having to be locked down if that's what is necessary but its the general indecision and fucking about that rips my knitting.

Absolutely. Yesterday we were in tier 2. At midnight we went into tier 3 and tomorrow we're rocketing into tier 4. I dread to think which tier we'll be in at the end of the week!

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

At last the border has been closed. Should have been done months ago. They should keep it closed for at least 4 months. 

Are they going to actually police / enforce it though?

Over here there have been police checkpoints in the same places for months enforcing the ban on travelling between counties. What's it been like in Scotland?

44 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

It’s quite something how much panic this new strain appears to have caused in such a short space of time.

Is it too cynical to wonder whether to justify finally “taking action” in london, they feel the whole country has to suffer?

Bizarrely yesterday pupils in England had to attend school for 'their well being' as the bullies in the UK Government threatened legal actions against schools that wanted to end early and go over to on line learning. My final class of the year saw only 6 students, the other 24 were either 'ill' (yeah right!) or had been withdrawn by parents who didn't share the Government's view that missing a day of school would damage their education, mental health or life chances. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Sorry, that's utter pish.   The whole of England went into a lockdown on 5th November, no pubs were open anywhere.   

The virus has an incubation period of up to two weeks, not two months.

No I was down there in late October and pubs were rammed along the Euston Road at a time when pubs were closed in Scotland hence why it is now rife down there and not so rife up here. It is not rocket science.

2 hours ago, phart said:

What you saying Phart, Soylent Green?

My uneducated assumption is that since simple forms like viruses mutate quickly, then the successful ones are those which mutate/adapt to their circumstances.   i.e. social distancing and so on, then the ones that can somehow jump the gap (metaphorically speaking, or literally) will be most successful.

Life eats life, and viruses rip the shit out of cells.   Just as well we are big & smart and will win.   Gerrintae them!  :wacko:

31 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

What you saying Phart, Soylent Green?

My uneducated assumption is that since simple forms like viruses mutate quickly, then the successful ones are those which mutate/adapt to their circumstances.   i.e. social distancing and so on, then the ones that can somehow jump the gap (metaphorically speaking, or literally) will be most successful.

Life eats life, and viruses rip the shit out of cells.   Just as well we are big & smart and will win.   Gerrintae them!  :wacko:

Yeah obviously get selection pressure as well but seems a similiar mutation has occurred multiple time independently already.

3 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Are they going to actually police / enforce it though?

Over here there have been police checkpoints in the same places for months enforcing the ban on travelling between counties. What's it been like in Scotland?

There has been no attempt to enforce travel restrictions so far in Scotland.

22 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

There has been no attempt to enforce travel restrictions so far in Scotland.

Pffff... So only a minority takes heed of them then?

The checkpoints here (there's one near me i pass through to get to the motorway) only stop random cars, but they're a visual reminder of the restrictions and (unless you're good at lying to the law) a chance of getting fined if you're breaking the rules.

It does feel a bit Stasi-like and i'm not 100% comfortable with it, but they don't seem to cause traffic jams, and it seems to work.

9 hours ago, Dave78 said:

The checkpoints here (there's one near me i pass through to get to the motorway) only stop random cars, but they're a visual reminder of the restrictions and (unless you're good at lying to the law) a chance of getting fined if you're breaking the rules.

It does feel a bit Stasi-like and i'm not 100% comfortable with it, but they don't seem to cause traffic jams, and it seems to work.

In Greece they take the number plates off your car if they catch you.

10 hours ago, Dave78 said:

She did say that she had asked Police Scotland to come up with a plan for how it could be policed. I'm fairly sure that is the first time she has said that. I think that was specifically about the border with England and not trying to police travel restrictions within Scotland. Trying to police travel within Scotland would be an impossible task with the manpower available. But policing the border shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility. There are a limited number of crossing points between Scotland and England. 

23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Selfish cunts

Sounds like loads of folk are trying to get out of London while they still can. Doesn't sound like much attempt is being made to try to stop them. More countries looking at banning travel to or from the UK. This isn't going to end well. As you say, selfish cunts. 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

She did say that she had asked Police Scotland to come up with a plan for how it could be policed. I'm fairly sure that is the first time she has said that. I think that was specifically about the border with England and not trying to police travel restrictions within Scotland. Trying to police travel within Scotland would be an impossible task with the manpower available. But policing the border shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility. There are a limited number of crossing points between Scotland and England. 

Could they maybe not combine it with a festive drink drive campaign and do combined random checks ?
Like serial drink drivers there will be some that will take their chances no matter what, but it might make other members of the public think twice before travelling. 

Looking at BBC how is this even a story of consequence???

Readers' stories: Extra Christmas food 'will go to waste'

image.gif.30c05cddbaffff03b786273ea5b6594c.gif
Martin DorrellCopyright: Martin Dorrell

Martin Dorrell, from Essex, had planned to travel to Lincolnshire to see family for four days with his two children before the Christmas rules changed.

They had "all been looking forward to it", he says.

But now with parts of Essex in tier four, they will no longer be making the journey.

He says their family had bought more food to cater for their visit but "that will go to waste".

"I had to go out and spend over £300 on food and drink to see us through for the Christmas period," he says.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-55385989

"Mr Livingstone said the increase in Covid alert levels from midnight on 26 December amounted to a "blanket ban" for mainland Scotland.
But he added: "I remain clear I do not consider it appropriate or proportionate for officers to establish check points or road blocks to simply enforce travel restrictions
"These restrictions are a preventative measure to halt the progress of Covid and Police Scotland will support this approach with a strong operational profile to deter those who would put others at risk.
"Today, I have authorised the doubling of our operational presence in the border areas of Scotland."
He said the force's experience throughout the pandemic was that the "overwhelming majority" of people had "demonstrated personal responsibility to do the right thing". "

So self-policing essentially.