Coronavirus - Page 217 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

19 minutes ago, phart said:

I really like the way you presented this. Although Linlithgow where I am is getting surrounded a bit.

Tell me about it.   Look at all the green spots that have appeared in Renfrewshire, and one right in my neighbourhood.

I worry that I'm misleading though.   I'd guess the next 100 places are probably not much better than #21-100.

I'm not convinced that using the lateral flow tests for care home visitors is a good idea. They have a significantly lower sensitivity than the NHS PCR tests. This means that they will give a higher level of false negatives. If they are trying to make it as likely as possible that visitors don't have COVID, they should be using the higher sensitivity tests (lower number of false negatives). 

I have been wanting them to use these lateral flow tests for ages and in huge numbers, if possible. But I don't think this is what they should be used for. They should be used to test people in the general population who wouldn't normally be tested. When used for that purpose the lower sensitivity isn't an issue. 

So the Earl & Countess of Strathearn, after being warned of travel restrictions, ignore them and visit Scotland anyway.

The chances of the lad ever being 'king of Scotland' get lower and lower with their every thoughtless act.

They probably see travelling around the colonies trying to cheer up the natives as their "work". It's probably the closest to "work" that parasites like them will ever get to. I'm sure it could have been done from home though. Just another one of those rules that the elite can choose to ignore. 

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Swithered and deliberated on it but decided to accept the jab this morning.  Aside from developing a bit of an itchy fanny no real side effects so far.  

The Statens Serum Institut in Denmark are currently developing a vaccine for chlamydia. You might want to try that one as well?

16 hours ago, exile said:

So the Earl & Countess of Strathearn, after being warned of travel restrictions, ignore them and visit Scotland anyway.

The chances of the lad ever being 'king of Scotland' get lower and lower with their every thoughtless act.

Off to Wales today, to patronise the locals.

Who advised these parasites to travel this week. 

The more I see them ,the more I like what the Russians did..

It's great that the vaccination program has got started and hopefully this is the turning point which will very slowly see us starting to get back to normal.

Some more good news on the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine but not approved for general use yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55228422

But both BioNtech and Oxford are making noises about delays in production, which shouldn't be unexpected, so the role out might not be as quick as we had hoped for. We still have a lot of months of lockdown to look forward to.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

It's great that the vaccination program has got started and hopefully this is the turning point which will very slowly see us starting to get back to normal.

Some more good news on the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine but not approved for general use yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55228422

But both BioNtech and Oxford are making noises about delays in production, which shouldn't be unexpected, so the role out might not be as quick as we had hoped for. We still have a lot of months of lockdown to look forward to.

I was reading the Oxford one has been a lot more transparent in their data than the other two. Not to regulators as the other two have to give all the info to regulators but for anyone else wanting to have a look including experts in the field.

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Wonder if Bill Gates is currently conflicted at home pondering whether to flick the switch on the posse of mutant geriatrics now at his disposal or if he'll play a waiting game to get the asthmatics onboard before pursuing world domination.  

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.

Bertrand Russell in his essay "The triumph of stupidity" somewhat ironically talking about the recent succeses of the Nazi party in 1933.

Defo some overlap nowadays.

EovhGklW4AACybD?format=jpg&name=medium

EovhGu7XMAcfF2u?format=jpg&name=medium

"Do your own research!"

Edited by phart

On 12/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, phart said:

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.

Bertrand Russell in his essay "The triumph of stupidity" somewhat ironically talking about the recent succeses of the Nazi party in 1933.

Defo some overlap nowadays.

EovhGklW4AACybD?format=jpg&name=medium

EovhGu7XMAcfF2u?format=jpg&name=medium

"Do your own research!"

You're right - Gates is a smart guy so he'll more likely hold off until the teachers are vaccinated so they can march on the world during their summer holidays and be back in time to lecture the NWO via the blended learning of diktat and forced manual agricultural labour.  

Read Bertrand Russell's essay there cheers and its as relevant now as it was then - couple of sentences that stood out:

Even those of the intelligent who believe that they have a nostrum are too individualistic to combine with other intelligent men from whom they differ on minor points.    

We currently seem to live in a time where reason, nuance and compromise have been sacrificed for entrenchment and polarisation.  

Perhaps we shall have to realise that scepticism and intellectual individualism are luxuries which in our tragic age must be forgone, and if intelligence is to be effective, it will have to be combined with a moral fervour which it usually possessed in the past but now usually lacks.

There's umpteen examples of crying foul when the other side are ethically questionable but will then make excuses for their own side when the tables turn.  Without ethical and moral checks against your own side we end up in this post truth shit storm where basically nowt matters and Cara's opinion holds equal validity to Kieren's.  

25 minutes ago, slasher said:

I've had a letter sending me for a flu jab. Not sure why as I've never had one before and wouldn't be considered in the 'at risk' categories. 

Is this a good idea? I've heard of a few people saying it has made them unwell. 

I got it too for the first time in yonks and it was because I had asthma as a kid.  Arm was sore and felt rough for a day but nowt major.  

Bill Gates did make me dress up as Santa though and moon passersby from the local Spar window so swings and roundabouts.  

13 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

You're right - Gates is a smart guy so he'll more likely hold off until the teachers are vaccinated so they can march on the world during their summer holidays and be back in time to lecture the NWO via the blended learning of diktat and forced manual agricultural labour.  

Read Bertrand Russell's essay there cheers and its as relevant now as it was then - couple of sentences that stood out:

Even those of the intelligent who believe that they have a nostrum are too individualistic to combine with other intelligent men from whom they differ on minor points.    

We currently seem to live in a time where reason, nuance and compromise have been sacrificed for entrenchment and polarisation.  

Perhaps we shall have to realise that scepticism and intellectual individualism are luxuries which in our tragic age must be forgone, and if intelligence is to be effective, it will have to be combined with a moral fervour which it usually possessed in the past but now usually lacks.

There's umpteen examples of crying foul when the other side are ethically questionable but will then make excuses for their own side when the tables turn.  Without ethical and moral checks against your own side we end up in this post truth shit storm where basically nowt matters and Cara's opinion holds equal validity to Kieren's.  

Compromise is a big thing.

My mate is really high up in management in a huge company. He says solving most problems is just getting folk to talk with each other without their guards being up and getting past all the irrelevant shit folk get caught up in.

I was far too black and white thinking when younger, still far from perfect but least moving in the right direction, well I hope others may disagree!

39 minutes ago, slasher said:

I've had a letter sending me for a flu jab. Not sure why as I've never had one before and wouldn't be considered in the 'at risk' categories. 

It's being offered to 2.4 million folk in Scotland this year. They are gradually going down the age categories. They started doing the 60 to 64 age group in November. Not sure what age group they are at now. 

19 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Very profound.

I'm not sure which bits are his and which bits are yours, though. ;)

You could be the TAMBs resident philosopher.

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's being offered to 2.4 million folk in Scotland this year. They are gradually going down the age categories. They started doing the 60 to 64 age group in November. Not sure what age group they are at now. 

This is the main reason I have no worries about the ability of the NHS to administer the COVID vaccines to huge numbers of people. Last year the uptake in Scotland was about 75% of those eligible for flu vaccine from the NHS. They only went down to over 65s last year. This year the uptake will probably be lower than 75% but they will still be administering it to close to 2 million people. This has been quietly happening in the background without too many people even noticing. The first time a lot of folk hear about it is when their GP gets in touch with them to offer them a free flu jab.

The problem will be getting supplies of the vaccines. The FDA are probably going to approve the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine today. This might sound like good news, and it is, to folk in the USA, but for the rest of us it is bound to put more pressure on the supply chain.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:01 PM, mariokempes56 said:

That's a very good read. It gives an idea of the huge amount of work that is being put into developing vaccines all over the world. 

There is also a link in there to a similar coverage of all the treatments being developed, which I'm away to have a read of now. I wonder if chloroquine will get a mention? ;)

2 hours ago, slasher said:

I've had it the past 2 years, arm a wee bit stiff for a couple of days but other than that nothing. 

So much of the Covid conspiracies are just a product of folk not having basic numeracy. Toby Young an order of magnitude out doing a simple percentage calculation and now we have. It's hard to tell if it's sophistry or just plain old dumbfuckery.

All the people just nodding along in the comments. This is really basic stuff.

It also sets up a false positive ceiling which is really low.

Edited by phart