Coronavirus - Page 214 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

45 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I plotted last week's 100...

image.thumb.png.5ba10a01a5545a1832a64a88cf933996.png

I wonder why the media don't do more of this sort of thing. It could help people get thinking about the reality of clustering and why they are being asked to act differently from the rest of the country.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-retail-sector-guidance/pages/close-contact-services-questions-and-answers/

In  answer to my own musings, it seems Bicycle shops are essential and anyone selling food,or furniture, or .... that's the problem when you make things more complicated - I could make a case from that list for just about any business except I think PCWorld.

So 4 - just the same as 3 only different ?

4 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I plotted last week's 100...

image.thumb.png.5ba10a01a5545a1832a64a88cf933996.png

That is a bit close to home! :shocked:

A couple of things though, it was Dalmilling in Ayr that was on the list, not Dalmellington.

And why is there a flag on Arran???

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

That is a bit close to home! :shocked:

A couple of things though, it was Dalmilling in Ayr that was on the list, not Dalmellington.

And why is there a flag on Arran???

The Isle of Arran was #14 last week.  If the locals and their health workers have kicked them out the shitty 100 this week, then fair play to them!

13 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Breaking news that the Oxford vaccine is 70 per cent effective 

That's more like the numbers I was expecting. It will still be pretty effective even at that level. So it's all good news. Still going to take a lot of time though. 

1 minute ago, phart said:

They had 90% effectiveness in one set of trials with differing doses. Far too early to try and read through it all though.

Aye, that's a bit of a strange one. 62% for for one dosage method and 90% for another. That would normally indicated one main conclusion. More trials required. But time is much more important than normal so they might get approval to go with the more effective dosage whilst continuing other trials to optimise the dosages? It might depend on how well they can explain the difference to the regulators?

On 11/21/2020 at 2:36 PM, Lobey said:

Well I'm in Finnieston\Kelvinhaugh area and it seems as if a large number of the local business's are ignoring the phase 4 lockdown this morning.

Brewdog, Brunch club, BMX shop, fireplace shop, coffee shops etc all seem to be still operating to last weeks rules - don't know if they are taking a stand or some different interpretation of the rules, but I struggle to see a BMX bike shop as "essential".

Be interesting to see how this develops, think we might see a fair bit of pushback from business's in the run up to xmas as that's the main money maker for them.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:03 PM, Lobey said:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-retail-sector-guidance/pages/close-contact-services-questions-and-answers/

In  answer to my own musings, it seems Bicycle shops are essential and anyone selling food,or furniture, or .... that's the problem when you make things more complicated - I could make a case from that list for just about any business except I think PCWorld.

So 4 - just the same as 3 only different ?

I see you answered but I'd say Brewdog will do food and maybe take away pints again, Bikes for exercise, fireplace for heat? (agree this one is daft) Coffee shops still doing take away too. 
PC world, people need washing machines and shit too?

5 hours ago, Kirk said:

I see you answered but I'd say Brewdog will do food and maybe take away pints again, Bikes for exercise, fireplace for heat? (agree this one is daft) Coffee shops still doing take away too. 
PC world, people need washing machines and shit too?

Aye, it was more that I'd been led to believe that "Tier4" was going to be more like full lockdown - and round here it seemed to make no difference whatsover - all the same stuff that was open the day before was still open and trading exactly the same.

Edited by Lobey

Find it hard to understand how it can be a good idea to give a green light to people criss-crossing the country for Christmas, when the scientists are telling us it's going to spread the virus and undo the work already done to stop it.

39 minutes ago, exile said:

Find it hard to understand how it can be a good idea to give a green light to people criss-crossing the country for Christmas, when the scientists are telling us it's going to spread the virus and undo the work already done to stop it.

Exactly. 8/9 months of restrictions all oot the window just so we can sit with granny who’ll only moan about the sprouts being too hard. While wearing a daft paper hat. 

Fuckin mental.

11 hours ago, exile said:

Agree, absolutely mental decision. Goes against all the principles that have already been set. Just gives all the COVID deniers another excuse to ignore the rules. Extra people will die because of this decision and they know it.

I can see both sides to this.

The folk breaking the rules would have broken them anyway. 
Its easy for people who have family at home to say its a ridiculous decision, but there are lots of people on their own and  regardless of what some people think, Christmas is a special day for a lot of folk. This could give people a phycological boost. 

On the other hand it does fly in the face of everything that has been advised up till now 🙄