Coronavirus - Page 205 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

22 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Are you sure she didn't just ask if you wanted a hand with packing your shopping and the bloke was rolling his eyes thinking 'deaf al bat off on one'?  :)

😂😂 

I wish I had just said ‘eh?’ when she mentioned my pasta bowl and she would have stopped the conversation there. 

It was bizarre. She was shaking her head furiously. I think most folk must just ignore her and she wasn’t expecting a response. 
Next time I am going to James. He is a wee bit slow putting the shopping through  but he is cheery and just comments on how many boxes of wine gums I buy , which we both agree is far too many 😊

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂 

I wish I had just said ‘eh?’ when she mentioned my pasta bowl and she would have stopped the conversation there. 

It was bizarre. She was shaking her head furiously. I think most folk must just ignore her and she wasn’t expecting a response. 
Next time I am going to James. He is a wee bit slow putting the shopping through  but he is cheery and just comments on how many boxes of wine gums I buy , which we both agree is far too many 😊

Engage with her... Take the opportunity to educate her.

She's got a vote and you might convince her to place her X in the right box.

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Believe me Rich, in the very short time I had at the check out  I gently tried to explain the reasons why the actions are being taken , I really was fairly laid back and agreed that it was unfair on restaurants , but that it was difficult to define a line between them and pubs.  She wasnt interested and it just seemed to annoy her that I didnt agree.  
I had a mask on which actually made it difficult to talk, unfortunately she didn't . 

When she started going on about the Alex Salmond /Nicola Sturgeon situation I felt it had gone too far , it was pretty bitter, I don't really want that at the supermarket check out desk. Weekly shops are tedious enough 🙂 

I mentioned this particular situation in response to a post about angry people in the comments sections of media , as the woman was like a real live version. It was a weird experience in that environment. 
Maybe she was just having a bad day, it was late in the afternoon and we all get them.

And no. Before someone says it, I wasnt annoyed with her just because she wasnt wearing a mask, she had a screen 🙂

Edited by TDYER63
😷

15 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Actually, in those circumstances, "engaging" is the wrong thing to do.  If someone isn't in the mood or isn't receptive then not only are you wasting your time, you are also more likely to entrench someone's position.   The best thing to do is just to be polite, move on.

The trick isn't to bombard and browbeat people but to understand when the right time is, most people need to come to their own conclusions, or at least start to doubt their position and that's the point to start to reinforce that.

Taking the "you're wrong and I'm going to tell you exactly how wrong you are" approach doesn't really work.

I can't understand why - apart from the sport - people engage so furiously in social media with staunch unionists, a total waste of time.

Has anyone tried to book a covid test? Not been feeling good over the past week or so (don't think it's covid) but tried to book a test due to my line of work. We have a testing centre in Port Glasgow but i'm being told my nearest testing facility is Helensburgh? Going to chance my luck with local testing facility.

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Has anyone tried to book a covid test? Not been feeling good over the past week or so (don't think it's covid) but tried to book a test due to my line of work. We have a testing centre in Port Glasgow but i'm being told my nearest testing facility is Helensburgh? Going to chance my luck with local testing facility.

Sounds like Helensburgh is "closest" as the crow flies.   I get similar things across the Clyde from me upstream.

pretty sure the Port will be fine.

try Glasgow Airport one, my pal got a test very quicky last week.

hope you feel better soon

2 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Have you got any of the symptoms? Fever, cough or loss of taste or smell?

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Have you got any of the symptoms? Fever, cough or loss of taste or smell?

Bit of a cough could be smoking? not dry though. Just feel like shit. I got the flu jag a week or so ago and haven't felt right since. Spoke to my boss (ex nurse) and she advised me to call the doc. Phoned this morning and can't get a phone consultation until Monday. Heading out now to try the Port testing centre.

6 hours ago, aaid said:

Actually, in those circumstances, "engaging" is the wrong thing to do.  If someone isn't in the mood or isn't receptive then not only are you wasting your time, you are also more likely to entrench someone's position.   The best thing to do is just to be polite, move on.

The trick isn't to bombard and browbeat people but to understand when the right time is, most people need to come to their own conclusions, or at least start to doubt their position and that's the point to start to reinforce that.

Taking the "you're wrong and I'm going to tell you exactly how wrong you are" approach doesn't really work.

I can't understand why - apart from the sport - people engage so furiously in social media with staunch unionists, a total waste of time.

I wasn't suggesting TDYER b*llock her  :)

Edited by Rich NATA

Can someone explain why the chancellor can give extra cash to England for businesses but not the devolved governments ? I assume there must be a justifiable reason ? I read that £700 million had been given to Scotland already , was that money that nowhere in England got ? 

Oxford coronavirus vaccine ‘works as expected’ and triggers ‘strong immunity’

The coronavirus vaccine being developed at Oxford University is working well and has been shown to produce a ‘strong immune response’ in volunteers, studies show. Instead of using a weakened strain, or small parts of it, like traditional vaccines, the Oxford jab directs the body to produce part of the virus itself. Researchers led by the University of Bristol found it effectively delivers genetic instructions telling the body how to make the spike protein from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/23/oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-works-as-expected-and-triggers-strong-immunity-13467677/?ito=cbshare

45 minutes ago, phart said:

Oxford coronavirus vaccine ‘works as expected’ and triggers ‘strong immunity’

The coronavirus vaccine being developed at Oxford University is working well and has been shown to produce a ‘strong immune response’ in volunteers, studies show. Instead of using a weakened strain, or small parts of it, like traditional vaccines, the Oxford jab directs the body to produce part of the virus itself. Researchers led by the University of Bristol found it effectively delivers genetic instructions telling the body how to make the spike protein from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/23/oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-works-as-expected-and-triggers-strong-immunity-13467677/?ito=cbshare

Sounds promising. 

Tory scum?

A Tory MP has said she “very much” hopes businesses offering to feed hungry children for free “will not be seeking any further government support”, as the row over free school meals continues. 

In a now-deleted Facebook post Selaine Saxby, who represents North Devon, wrote: “I am delighted our local businesses have bounced back so much after lockdown they are able to give away food for free, and very much hope they will not be seeking any further government support.”

Saxby is one of more than 300 Tories who voted against extending free school meals to the UK’s poorest children through the half term and Christmas holidays on Wednesday. 

47 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Tory scum?

A Tory MP has said she “very much” hopes businesses offering to feed hungry children for free “will not be seeking any further government support”, as the row over free school meals continues. 

In a now-deleted Facebook post Selaine Saxby, who represents North Devon, wrote: “I am delighted our local businesses have bounced back so much after lockdown they are able to give away food for free, and very much hope they will not be seeking any further government support.”

Saxby is one of more than 300 Tories who voted against extending free school meals to the UK’s poorest children through the half term and Christmas holidays on Wednesday. 

Sounds so alien to hear people speak like this.

"Selaine Saxby said her post on the Facebook group North Devon News on Friday evening (October 23) ‘does not accurately convey’ her views." Like WTF?

Edited by phart

Tory scum?

The really sad thing is that there are still plenty of working class voters in England, Scotland and Wales who would happily vote for these evil bastards tomorrow without thinking twice about it.